2 Squeeks/Squeels

SGT_Rock6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Teacher
2020 Ranger 4 Door Sport package: 28k miles.
Hi all from the Cali Central Coast!
2 Problems:
1) Hi moisture area right here by the ocean. I get what sounds like a belt squeal at first early morning start up (intermittently). I’m thinking it’s just moisture because it goes away quickly.
2) Just today: sounds like a “seagull cry” coming from the right side when driving slow. No sound when still and idling, seemed like sound stopped when I applied the brakes.
I thought it WAS a seagull for a minute, till I heard the sound reflect off of a parked car. Maybe moisture on a disc pad?
Interested in y’all’s thoughts…
Sponsored

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
2020 Ranger 4 Door Sport package: 28k miles.
Hi all from the Cali Central Coast!
2 Problems:
1) Hi moisture area right here by the ocean. I get what sounds like a belt squeal at first early morning start up (intermittently). I’m thinking it’s just moisture because it goes away quickly.
2) Just today: sounds like a “seagull cry” coming from the right side when driving slow. No sound when still and idling, seemed like sound stopped when I applied the brakes.
I thought it WAS a seagull for a minute, till I heard the sound reflect off of a parked car. Maybe moisture on a disc pad?
Interested in y’all’s thoughts…
I had to Google what a seagull sounds like lol. Definitely could be rust in the brake rotors from moisture - my VW would squeal after a rain until I put aftermarket rotors on it. Does it go away once you've hit the breaks a few times? If not, you could either have a caliper that is sticking or the wear indicator is squealing like it's supposed to so that you know it's time to change pads.

OP
OP
SGT_Rock6

SGT_Rock6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Teacher
I had to Google what a seagull sounds like lol. Definitely could be rust in the brake rotors from moisture - my VW would squeal after a rain until I put aftermarket rotors on it. Does it go away once you've hit the breaks a few times? If not, you could either have a caliper that is sticking or the wear indicator is squealing like it's supposed to so that you know it's time to change pads.
Thanks for the response! Excellent ideas for possibilities!! Lots of easy highway miles here, not much stop and go driving, so “wear indicator” didn’t even occur to me-DUH!! ?
I think some owners have said pads wore out earlier than expected.
My VW Westfalia has sticky disc caliper issues with the moisture too, so I avoid using the parking brake engaged for long periods of time.
Good call!! I’ll get it checked!
Thanks!

DaddyFatSnacks

First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger/2001 Jeep TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'd bet money its your wastegate. On your first start up of the day use remote start(if you have it) or have someone start it for you while you look in the passenger side fender well. The wastegate should be visible just above the tire. It opens and closes on startup and mine sounds exactly like what you describe. Other people on the forum have had similar complaints. I've been to lazy myself to take it to my dealership.

OP
OP
SGT_Rock6

SGT_Rock6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Teacher
I'd bet money its your wastegate. On your first start up of the day use remote start(if you have it) or have someone start it for you while you look in the passenger side fender well. The wastegate should be visible just above the tire. It opens and closes on startup and mine sounds exactly like what you describe. Other people on the forum have had similar complaints. I've been to lazy myself to take it to my dealership.
Wow!! I will check into that.
Note: As the sun comes out and everything warms up the squeal and squeak disappeared.
I will look at the waste gate for sure.
Thanks!