Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Change your oil more often, then you can pay me now and pay me later.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
This actual Ford tech contradicts many of the “experts” on this forum in regard to our transmissions adaptive learning capabilities.

So I tested this out with mine. Mostly because when I bought my Ranger it had 250 or so miles on it. From day 1 the shifting was erratic at times, and excessively harsh others so who knows how it was driven until I bought it. Much like he described inthe video. It did eventually smooth out to some degree but was still a little off. The transmission honestly felt like it had tweaked valve body coupled to a 3K stall converter and a old school transmission detent cable that was out of adjustment. Even after flashing it with a custom tune the trans shifting was better but still was not right. For example when under moderate acceleration from a stop it would shift from 1st to 2nd/3rd so hard that it would break the rears loose. This is the sort of thing that can and will damage driveline components.

I reset the transmission shift tables with Forscan when last week and have driven it as I normally would. Since doing so it's like it's a completely different truck. The shifts are so much smoother and consistent now compared to before. Also gone is the constant gear hunting at low speed and shift delays when driving on surface streets. The most notable thing is when driving at low speed in a parking lot it used to hold 1st gear and not shift until it would hit 4500-5000 rpm and then lurch forward when shifting into second if I used light throttle and kept it under 10-15 mph. That's completely eliminated since resetting the transmission and allowing it to re-learn from just me driving it.

Bottom line at least for me is if your truck had any any significant mileage on it when you bought it and it has any of these odd shifting characteristics, do the reset and see if it helps. It did for me and it had 8K miles on it when I cleared the transmission.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
So I tested this out with mine. Mostly because when I bought my Ranger it had 250 or so miles on it. From day 1 the shifting was erratic at times, and excessively harsh others so who knows how it was driven until I bought it. Much like he described inthe video. It did eventually smooth out to some degree but was still a little off. The transmission honestly felt like it had tweaked valve body coupled to a 3K stall converter and a old school transmission detent cable that was out of adjustment. Even after flashing it with a custom tune the trans shifting was better but still was not right. For example when under moderate acceleration from a stop it would shift from 1st to 2nd/3rd so hard that it would break the rears loose. This is the sort of thing that can and will damage driveline components.

I reset the transmission shift tables with Forscan when last week and have driven it as I normally would. Since doing so it's like it's a completely different truck. The shifts are so much smoother and consistent now compared to before. Also gone is the constant gear hunting at low speed and shift delays when driving on surface streets. The most notable thing is when driving at low speed in a parking lot it used to hold 1st gear and not shift until it would hit 4500-5000 rpm and then lurch forward when shifting into second if I used light throttle and kept it under 10-15 mph. That's completely eliminated since resetting the transmission and allowing it to re-learn from just me driving it.

Bottom line at least for me is if your truck had any any significant mileage on it when you bought it and it has any of these odd shifting characteristics, do the reset and see if it helps. It did for me and it had 8K miles on it when I cleared the transmission.
I would think when you flashed the custom tune it should have done the same relearning since it changes the transmission shift tables when you do that, right? It seems like there is some variable unaccounted for still.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I would think when you flashed the custom tune it should have done the same relearning since it changes the transmission shift tables when you do that, right? It seems like there is some variable unaccounted for still.
I would have thought that as well, but the shifting behavior did not change at all when flashing it from stock to the pre-loaded Bullydog or custom 5* tunes or even back to stock. Only after going in with Forscan and clearing the shift tables was there a change in how it shifts.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin

Forgive me if I missed it, but can you link to the info to reset the tables with forscan (if there is info)?

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I was able to downshift and upshift my tranny while in Drive.
Appears it needs to be above a certain speed or gear and then the shift button will act as if in Sport mode.

Haven’t yet checked the manual yet but suspect it’s most likely a quirk.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I was able to downshift and upshift my tranny while in Drive.
Appears it needs to be above a certain speed or gear and then the shift button will act as if in Sport mode.

Haven’t yet checked the manual yet but suspect it’s most likely a quirk.
No you're not. The +/- buttons only lock out gears in drive.

It may look as though you are downshifting if while cruising in 10th you hit the minus to lock it out the truck WILL downshift to 9. However, if you stop and resume it will work down and back up to 9.

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
Def an engineering marvel if this so called adaptive learning tranny could benefit me considering my driving hobbits. Mixed driving, sometimes drive in 'S' then drive in 'D' then using cruise then locking out gears to maintain specific RPM range then sometimes in tow mode then sometimes with throttle controller active. Sometimes lock out gears while using cruise control. Sometimes FP tune enabled. Sometimes back to stock tune. The fun of driving the Ranger is the various modes for varied styles of driving. Sometimes drive like granny but sometimes like to accelerate fast from slow roll to 60/70mph however I don't really stomp on the pedal while doing this. In a way, I am my own adaptive tranny

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
this can be misconstrued in the eyes of some people....be wary of the Damper crew, they are "different"
Yes, yes we are... But when I think of the "Damper crew" I think of words such as:
Intelligent
Logical
Intellectual
Clever
Sensible
Shrewd

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
hmm well that is some fancy tech.
however, when i had a manual trans i didnt have to screw with it baby it or down load up load or rest etc. i miss it already. number one thing i dislike in my ranger is transmission. id give one of yalls toes to have the mustang six speed or the bronco 7 speed in my ranger.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
hmm well that is some fancy tech.
however, when i had a manual trans i didnt have to screw with it baby it or down load up load or rest etc. i miss it already. number one thing i dislike in my ranger is transmission. id give one of yalls toes to have the mustang six speed or the bronco 7 speed in my ranger.
:LOL:

There have been many problems with the Getrag 6 spds. I wouldn't trust the new, made in China, Getrag 7 spd either.

The 10R80 has it's issues. But I'll take them over a Ford/Getrag any day.

There is a reason the Ford Performance Coyote Power Module comes with a Tremec.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
:LOL:

There have been many problems with the Getrag 6 spds. I wouldn't trust the new, made in China, Getrag 7 spd either.

The 10R80 has it's issues. But I'll take them over a Ford/Getrag any day.

There is a reason the Ford Performance Coyote Power Module comes with a Tremec.
id be happy with the tremec. i had zero issue with the six speed. havent got to try the new seven yet.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I read the whole six pages and this is my take as a retired auto trans rebuilder. The expression "tighten up" means the computer senses a slipping or worn clutch pack and increases the apply pressure to that clutch pack. The computer also regulates apply pressure biased on how you drive. You bought a truck and so the computer is programed to stiffen up the shifts to handle the load.
Fact: the smoother the shift the more the clutch pack has to slip. The harder the shift the less slippage occurs. The more a clutch pack slips the faster the plates wear out.

You car/damper people are ruining the truck by wanting car stuff in your truck. SIGH
Sponsored