Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
This actual Ford tech contradicts many of the “experts” on this forum in regard to our transmissions adaptive learning capabilities.

Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
This actual Ford tech contradicts many of the “experts” on this forum in regard to our transmissions adaptive learning capabilities.

Interesting - this directly contradicts what I've read elsewhere. I wonder what his credentials are for asserting this?

It seems kind of odd if this is true - how would this work if/when you have two or more drivers in a household with different driving styles? Or a commercial vehicle that might have multiple drivers with different driving styles?

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
It's good to have a definitive explanation on how to get these tanny's to do the right thing. Many, like me, just got the "Just drive it more, it will learn" answer when we asked the service tech. Right, or wrong it's worth a try if needed.

OP
OP
AdamHarris

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This Gentleman always seems to some good late model Ford Tech information to put out. Yes I guess those who disagree with him well just “Scotty Kilmer” him and be done with it.
I think the reality is it’s a combination of the adaptive learning software configuring itself to the transmission itself AND configuring itself to the driver or multiple drivers. But I’m just playing forum “expert” myself with that comment, I don’t really know.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Plot twist: the seats can also detect weight and therefore it can detect different drivers and as long as drivers stay within the same weight range it as soon as the same driver and they have multiple transmission mapping patterns.

/Tinfoil hat

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
This Gentleman always seems to some good late model Ford Tech information to put out. Yes I guess those who disagree with him well just “Scotty Kilmer” him and be done with it.
I think the reality is it’s a combination of the adaptive learning software configuring itself to the transmission itself AND configuring itself to the driver or multiple drivers. But I’m just playing forum “expert” myself with that comment, I don’t really know.
I don't necessarily disagree with him, I just want to know definitively what the correct answer is. It would be great to hear from one of the engineers of the transmission what the true story is. Anyone can make a YouTube video and say whatever they want. Even a technician who has experience with the transmission doesn't necessarily understand the design of it and how the software works with it. You really need someone familiar/knowledgeable about the engineering of it to make a definitive statement otherwise you are just making statements about observations.

Of course the transmission is going to shift differently when you clear its adaptive learning. It has to re-learn everything from scratch. The real question is "what is it learning?". Only the engineers/programmers know that for certain.

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
He keeps talking about used vehicle owners having the shifting issues and mentions folks with new vehicles never having an issue but I got my 2021 ranger new and drove it stock for about 1300miles before tuning it and it did all the things he mentioned. Shuddering, hesitation on downshift or feeling like you have to force it to downshift while accelerating, hard or jumpy feeling shifts, especially when slowing to a stop in the lower gears, like a clunk while downshifting. Obviously I don't know exactly how these things work but if what the guy in the video says is factual then it should have learned my driving and those issues shouldn't have been there but if my friend drove my car maybe they would have issues? Yeah, I'm not convinced. Sure, maybe it does learn certain drive style things, but based on the vast amount of complaints with the 10r80, I'm convinced that these are just corks of this transmission design that for many folks won't go away with a simple reset and relearn period.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
He keeps talking about used vehicle owners having the shifting issues and mentions folks with new vehicles never having an issue but I got my 2021 ranger new and drove it stock for about 1300miles before tuning it and it did all the things he mentioned. Shuddering, hesitation on downshift or feeling like you have to force it to downshift while accelerating, hard or jumpy feeling shifts, especially when slowing to a stop in the lower gears, like a clunk while downshifting. Obviously I don't know exactly how these things work but if what the guy in the video says is factual then it should have learned my driving and those issues shouldn't have been there but if my friend drove my car maybe they would have issues? Yeah, I'm not convinced. Sure, maybe it does learn certain drive style things, but based on the vast amount of complaints with the 10r80, I'm convinced that these are just corks of this transmission design that for many folks won't go away with a simple reset and relearn period.
Mine had the TSB issue of cold start shuddering and low speed shuddering. Flashing the system fixed it.

However a tune is what ultimately fixed all the Quality of Life problems; the sluggish e-throttle response, a seemingly confused transmission pattern (gear hunting), and severely retarded engine potential (as in purposefully down tuned for EPA reasons).

Performance 87 up to 93 tunes is how the damn thing should have come from the factory.

If tuners are so confident in the 2.3L EB motor that they can pull another 70HP & 100ft lb torque out of thin air with mostly non-existent risk, it makes you wonder why the manufacturer bottles all that up. Well I know why, because they are held hostage by the EPA and the government push for MPG.

Can you imagine that neat stuff car producers would be putting out by smaller and smaller motors if they didn't have to work with a proverbial gun to the head? We'd be seeing identical engine "trim" levels with different package offers in addition to classic "trim" levels.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Interesting video.. thanks for posting it @AdamHarris :like:

@ 3:15 he states "I'll simply go into the computer and clear the adaptive tables out"

@ 4:17 he goes through how he got a 2018 Ford Raptor to relearn shifting

Hard to argue it doesn't learn if the computer has adaptive tables... and if you clear those out... give it some time to re-adapt, and then it shifts differently.

And good to know you can ask the dealer to go in and clear out the adaptive tables if you have issues (as he talks about @ 7:50 & 8:09), or even go in and turn it off completely (which sounds like a bad idea due to possible increased wear issues, as he talks about at 7:22)

Heck, you could even show the end of this video to the Service Manager and tell them this is what you want done, and you'll pay for that extra 15 minutes of time for the tech to do it (go to 8:09).

OP
OP
AdamHarris

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
its all just verbal diarrhea from this guy.
yes he knows stuff, clearly a Ford mechanic. he could walk circles around all of us I'm sure.
but if you really listen to him, you'll pick up on all of his bullshit.
in this video and many of his others.
he drinks his own Kool-Aid and its a tasty Kool-aid because he sucks people in really quick.

take it for what you will, but he talks like the transmission has a brain and is capable of much more than it is. it doesnt think or act like that. it looks for data points. it doesnt adjust parts to "tighten it up" and he clearly wouldnt be able to explain how it would even do that.

how would he explain my daily drive, vs weekend warrior? am i supposed to reset the system between my ever changing driving syles??? no. thats rubbish.

if anyone went on camera to debate with him, and ask him hard questions, thats when his game would fall apart. I dont think he can think outside of his internal monologue to figure out a coherant answer to anything you challenge him on.

the thread title is very misleading, Truth? hardly.... one internet youtube sensation couldnt be all the proof anyone needs unless you drank the kool-aid

*edit:

this is a statement from a Ford recall notice on the transmission. void of unique personal parameters, only the transmission is mentioned. and also notes the computer does the re-learn, nothing in the transmission physically changes. "tighten it up" my ass.

1623862130894.png
Ok we’re gonna need more hard data from you accompanied by actual Canadian measurements in order for anything you say to have any validity..

OP
OP
AdamHarris

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OK personal anecdote (a.k.a. “verbal diarrhea”so sorry RP) I had the transmission built rebuilt in my 87 GMC 4 x 4 square body last year. Got it back and the torque converter was locking and unlocking multiple times within a minute (turned out the speedometer cable needed lubed but who cares) so took it back to the rebuilder and he was actually able to dust off his OBD 1 scanner and sit in the passenger seat and view transmission line pressure, what multiple trans and engine sensors were doing, throttle position sensor, vehicle RPMs, etc. etc. all while we were going down the road in a 35 year old truck. Why is it so hard to believe that an extremely complex modern day 10 speed transmission can somewhat reprogram itself according to someone’s driving style? We’re not talking about Sky Net AI here, it’s just able to sort of determine are you an aggressive driver, medium driver, or are you an 85-year-old lady.
Sponsored