First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Acquisitions Consultant
My 2020 Lariat shifts from 1st to 3rd. Any recommendations?
Yes actually. The knewest FPP tune ( version 9 ) stops the transmission from skipping gears. I've had the tune on mine since 9/26/2020 and it would always skip from 3rd to 5th and jerk the truck. Now with the version 9 my truck will engage every gear. It shifts like absolute butter.
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Mine does that also. Regular acceleration and it goes 1-3-5. I have found though, as someone else pointed out, that I can get 1-2-4 depending on how I feather the gas pedal. And I've also noticed that it is more likely to shift 1-2-4 if I'm going even slightly uphill and accelerating conservatively. All of this is normal. I've put almost 2500 miles on my truck so far and I have zero gripes about anything. If I had to be super nitpicky I would wish sometimes that my truck would start from a dead stop in 2nd without shifting manually. But that is being really picky.
And regarding the gas in the oil thing, I'm aware that this is a potential issue. I check all fluids in my vehicles once a week (always done this with any car I've owned) and it probably looks funny if someone is watching me sniff the dipstick with a great deal of scrutiny, lol. So far I've not detected any sign of gasoline. What causes that anyway?
Thanks
Sniffin’ the Dipstick :)

LTManx

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Military
Enjoyed reading all of the input.

I’ve had my 2022 Tremor for a couple months now with only 1,500 miles on it. I’ve already had it back to the dealer to zero the Adaptive Learning Tables in hopes it will fix a number of issues (all discussed here). The skip shifting doesn’t bother me, but the over shifting (6th gear by the time I hit 20 mph), SLOW throttle response, delays in downshifting, and hard shifts from 1-3 and again from 3-4 súck and are not confidence inspiring. I get better response from my kids’ 2014 Corolla. This is my only complaint with the truck. Especially knowing how awesome the 2.3L is supposed to be. Very disappointing.

Any advice on the right tuner that won’t void my warranty and make me run 97 octane would be appreciated. (I’m sure I just asked for a unicorn.)

Thanks

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
The skip shifting doesn’t bother me, but the over shifting (6th gear by the time I hit 20 mph), SLOW throttle response, delays in downshifting, and hard shifts from 1-3 and again from 3-4 súck and are not confidence inspiring. I get better response from my kids’ 2014 Corolla.
This is part of the problem, the truck was programmed to have the best mileage in class....there was a cost to that and you see the result.
There are some tunes that give you better performance and some say better mileage. all you can do is research them all and see if one fits the solution you're seeking.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
...So far I've not detected any sign of gasoline. What causes that anyway?
Thanks
On mine, the HPFP was leaking fuel into the crankcase.

Replaced under warranty over 12k miles ago, no more issues.

Any advice on the right tuner that won’t void my warranty and make me run 97 octane would be appreciated. (I’m sure I just asked for a unicorn.)

Thanks
All tuners can potentially void your warranty as they all increment the Flash Counter and change Ford programming.

Any deviation from stock Ford programming and they don't have to cover it.

I know the MM Act requires them to prove that your modification caused the problem but Ford has lots of lawyers and lots of time to fight you if they decide to.

The FPP tune comes with its own warranty that is 3/36 FROM THE DATE OF SERVICE, not the date you installed the tune. IOW, if you bought your truck and while ago and it now has 35k miles on it, when you install the FPP tune you will get only 1k miles of warranty.

5 Star offers an aftermarket warranty with their tunes at an additional cost.

One member on here has had to use it and I believe they took care of him.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Enjoyed reading all of the input.

I’ve had my 2022 Tremor for a couple months now with only 1,500 miles on it. I’ve already had it back to the dealer to zero the Adaptive Learning Tables in hopes it will fix a number of issues (all discussed here). The skip shifting doesn’t bother me, but the over shifting (6th gear by the time I hit 20 mph), SLOW throttle response, delays in downshifting, and hard shifts from 1-3 and again from 3-4 súck and are not confidence inspiring. I get better response from my kids’ 2014 Corolla. This is my only complaint with the truck. Especially knowing how awesome the 2.3L is supposed to be. Very disappointing.

Thanks
As Muddy Fenders said, the shifting behavior is what it is due to Ford wanting to get the most MPG out as possible. Sport mode and/or Tow-Haul mode are a bit better and many owners drive in those modes.

FWIW, my turbo 2016 Subaru Forester is also very anemic in the default drive mode. I 100% drive that vehicle in Sport mode, for the same reasons. Blame CAFE and manufactures wanting to advertise the best possible MPG figures.

As for tune, only the Ford Performance Tune maintains warranty, but it does somewhat reduce it down to 3/36k and a certified mechanic needs to install it :(

BTW Forscan will allow you to zero the Adaptive Learning Tables.

crazyrazor21

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Acquisitions Consultant
As Muddy Fenders said, the shifting behavior is what it is due to Ford wanting to get the most MPG out as possible. Sport mode and/or Tow-Haul mode are a bit better and many owners drive in those modes.

FWIW, my turbo 2016 Subaru Forester is also very anemic in the default drive mode. I 100% drive that vehicle in Sport mode, for the same reasons. Blame CAFE and manufactures wanting to advertise the best possible MPG figures.

As for tune, only the Ford Performance Tune maintains warranty, but it does somewhat reduce it down to 3/36k and a certified mechanic needs to install it :(

BTW Forscan will allow you to zero the Adaptive Learning Tables.
The ford tune keeps the bumper to bumper warranty, and does not void the powertrain warranty. It also gets rid of gear skipping in the newest update.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
What is the HPFP?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

LTManx

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Military
Thanks for the replies.

I’ve started running in Sport mode when I know I’ll need to accelerate more aggressively (HWY On ramp, when merging/crossing a busy road, etc.). It’s definitely better than standard drive mode. I just wish it shifted into Sport mode and didn’t slip out easily.

I’ll bide my time and look at tuners for later as I approach the end of the warranty.

As I said before, love the truck, just not impressed with the programming on the transmission.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Bitch bitch and bitch, rpms too high when traveling 120 mph, tranny doesn't warm up instantaneously, misses gears, etc.

Now in the olden days of yore when 2 speed trannies were the norm and 3 speeds a luxury - you knew you had a legit complaint when your vacuum modulator failed and ATF was sucked into the engine and produced plumes of grey smoke, ask me how I know this.
HA! Someone who actually remembers 2 speed Slush O Matic....Getting on the freeway with my Impala I could get it almost to 60 before it shifted to its final 2nd gear! LOL