First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
As you know, the 2019+ Ranger offers the optional 'FordPass Connect 4G Modem' on XLT and Lariat Trims.

To sign up, first go to this page: https://myvehicle.att.com/#/ford/learn-page?country=US&language=en

EXISTING AT&T WIRELESS CUSTOMERS

Mobile Share Plan - $10/month

Unlimited Plan (up to 22GB/month, speeds are throttled after 22GB cap) - Starting at $20/month

ATT.png

NON AT&T WIRELESS CUSTOMERS

250MB Connected Car Data Plan for 1 Day - $5/day

1GB Connected Car Data Plan for 30 Days (Renews every 30 days) - $10/month

Connected Car Prepaid Unlimited Data (Renews every 30 days) - $25/month

Prepaid Unlimited Data for 12 Months - $250/year

Prepaid Unlimited Data for 24 Months - $450/2 years

Non ATT.png
The rates vary by where you live. I am not an ATT user so my rates quoted are $15/mo for 3G, $20/mo for unlimited. I have no daily use rate.

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I am considering FordPass Rewards just for the 42000 points.
It requires modem activation.

After the three months, can you cancel the modem service and retain the points toward service?
Just to be clear since this ins in the ATT Wireless Service thread, the Ford Pass activation and subsequent app use is free for at least a year if not longer. To receive the 42,000 points all you have to do is activate Ford Pass through the App. The ATT modem/ wireless service that you have to pay for is completely separate and is not need to receive the 42,000 points

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Just to be clear since this ins in the ATT Wireless Service thread, the Ford Pass activation and subsequent app use is free for at least a year if not longer. To receive the 42,000 points all you have to do is activate Ford Pass through the App. The ATT modem/ wireless service that you have to pay for is completely separate and is not need to receive the 42,000 points
Thanks for the clarification - I was wondering if I could get ANOTHER 42,000 points by activating my 3 month trial for the cell service. I have no need for it however. I was just considering doing it if I could get another round of points. I will skip it.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the clarification - I was wondering if I could get ANOTHER 42,000 points by activating my 3 month trial for the cell service. I have no need for it however. I was just considering doing it if I could get another round of points. I will skip it.
I highly doubt it. I had ATT service activated in my vehicle for almost two months before cancelling, and never received any additional points because of it.

That said, I cancelled a few days ago because I can use my phone as hotspot for free instead of paying ATT another 10 bucks plus tax and fees. Not too much of a hassle in terms of time, but did have to be transferred 4 times, give my details 3 times, and there were the obligatory questions like why I wanted it and if I wanted another service like DirecTV from them.

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone using AT$T WiFi past the free trial period? If so, how's it working for you overall? I can justify the $20/month unlimited plan IF it is truly usable.......

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Is anyone using Verizon?

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone using Verizon?
My work vehicle has AT&T and it works and the free AT&T in the Ranger so far has worked in Eastern MT and Western ND where I've used it.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone using AT$T WiFi past the free trial period? If so, how's it working for you overall? I can justify the $20/month unlimited plan IF it is truly usable.......
Works well for me. I pay $10 a month for the additional line. I use the trucks wifi as well. I never go above 4.5 MB of usage though. Don't need the unlimited plan We don't use the 12 GBs I have now. It rolls over to 20Gs on tap. My ATT line from the truck is just an additional line shared with my regular account,

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
No, the truck's modem is currently locked into AT&T, and nobody has figured out (yet?) how to put a different sim, or carrier unlock the MEID.
Yeah--which really sucks. The places where I'd most like to use the car hotspot (because of better antenna placement to pull in weak signal) also tend to have really, really bad AT&T service (in my experience).

RangerDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Vehicle Showcase
I have Xfinity Mobile. I dropped it back to the "by the gig" plan for $12 and then use the ATT Unlimited for $20 a month. I use the truck as a hot spot for the phone during the commute. Saves me about $12 a month. I am in Atlanta metro so ATT is pretty good here. Been happy with it so far.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Since AT&T is the only provider I intend to use Ford Pass app as my remote start, that will expire in June. I’ll decide then if I want to renew or power up the hotspot and compare prices then.

I don’t have much interest in making the truck a WiFi source, my interest is in remote starting in the winter.
Pretty sure it will be cheaper to install a remote start rather than a monthly fee.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Since AT&T is the only provider I intend to use Ford Pass app as my remote start, that will expire in June. I’ll decide then if I want to renew or power up the hotspot and compare prices then.

I don’t have much interest in making the truck a WiFi source, my interest is in remote starting in the winter.
Pretty sure it will be cheaper to install a remote start rather than a monthly fee.
I believe the FordPass access will work for 2 years. 2020 models will only get 1 year but the 2019 models get 2 years free.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Those prices do not seem too bad if area service is good. I have not used the truck WiFi, does it need to be running to use? Wondering if the truck can replace the home WiFi as a viable option and give up the home internet service provider.

edit:
Found the answer looking through info on the FordPass Connect site.

Q: Can I use Vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot when the vehicles Ignition is off?

A: Yes, but only after an ignition on. Vehicle Wi-Fi Hotspot will work for 30 minutes after the ignition has been turned off, as long as the key is in the car. The 30 minutes may be reduced if the health of the battery is at risk.

That ends the idea of using truck WiFi to replace home ISP. :frown:
Sponsored

Last edited: