Vacuum pump to extract their engine oil?

Chief of the Boat

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SC, FX4 and 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Is anyone using one? I used one on my Tacoma and it worked pretty good.
Thanks,
Terry
Sponsored

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
As in how? I'm a very firm believer in just draining the oil. If there are any solids in the pan, hopefully the draining oil with draw them out. Some of the equipment I work on, that is used for hours and hours every single day, I will pour a quart of oil into the pan to flush it out even further. Good insurance for something that helps you pay your bills. I would be afraid of solids building up in the oil pan. You could argue the additives in the oil and the filter may take care of them but I'd rather not change it.

OP
OP
Chief of the Boat

Chief of the Boat

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SC, FX4 and 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
As in how? I'm a very firm believer in just draining the oil. If there are any solids in the pan, hopefully the draining oil with draw them out. Some of the equipment I work on, that is used for hours and hours every single day, I will pour a quart of oil into the pan to flush it out even further. Good insurance for something that helps you pay your bills. I would be afraid of solids building up in the oil pan. You could argue the additives in the oil and the filter may take care of them but I'd rather not change it.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
There’s some vehicles that require it done that way, but since there is a drain plug there it’s the better way to go.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
This is commonly done on inboard/outboard boats but draining is preferable in my opinion.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Have performed on my GTI twice. Can get all but maybe 3-4 Oz out.
Will let a shop drain bottom when major service needed but extraction is easy and works well. As good as drain. Will I do the Ranger? Maybe.

370518A1-ED8D-465C-969A-BDB77A910F81.jpeg

DAD3E4AB-EDCC-4E86-AE60-492293E45801.jpeg

2621740B-7476-4BE9-830D-C50CADBB76C3.jpeg

E3AA475E-AD0B-421B-BC3E-60D4454172BE.jpeg

4D32E08E-DB81-413C-936D-E984BF56A9C2.jpeg

View attachment 25635

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Very little pumping involved.
The pumping creates a vacuum and once flowing you can stop. Every few minutes pump a little. At end I let it drain some. Pump some while lifting and lowering the hose. One can drain oil in 5 min with likely 10-15 pumps. Them pump what you want at the end.

Last edited:

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Draining is as good as a vacuum. You will never get all the oil out unless you disassemble the engine, residue and pockets everywhere. When you buy your new vehicle you are relying on the filter to capture all the manufacturing and assembly process leftovers. In my opinion I don't see the advantage of one over the other. We all have our favorite methods and draining is mine. One added question, what is the reason for replacing the drain plug? I have seen some do it stating it's required in the manual. I have not read it and I am changing my oil this weekend. Thanks all, I enjoy reading all the discussions here.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Our local WalMart uses the soda straw method, so ask them about it before you have them do the work.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
One added question, what is the reason for replacing the drain plug? I have seen some do it stating it's required in the manual. I have not read it and I am changing my oil this weekend
In general it means that it deforms when torqued and eventually won't hold/seal like it should. It probably won't leak the first time it's reused, but might after a while. One of my old cars had a washer that was supposed to be replaced...guess where the oil ended up when I took it somewhere and they didn't bother? (I can't speak to whether the ranger specifically has a consumable part, haven't checked the service manual.)

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Draining is as good as a vacuum. You will never get all the oil out unless you disassemble the engine, residue and pockets everywhere. When you buy your new vehicle you are relying on the filter to capture all the manufacturing and assembly process leftovers. In my opinion I don't see the advantage of one over the other. We all have our favorite methods and draining is mine. One added question, what is the reason for replacing the drain plug? I have seen some do it stating it's required in the manual. I have not read it and I am changing my oil this weekend. Thanks all, I enjoy reading all the discussions here.

Draining as good as extracting.

But you do not see the advantages of extraction? Really?

I will name them.

1. No jack.
2. No hack stands.
3. No drain plug removal.
4. Extraction faster.
5. Extraction safer.
6. Extractions costs less over time.
7. An 80 year old can do extraction, could teach a 10 year old also. So broad range of people can use.
8. People who rent, own houses and even those who are homeless could change oil with extractor.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
i just hate trying to get rid of used oil.
people get pissy when you let it run down the driveway into the storm sewers.
flushing it down the toilet leaves a terrible ring that needs to be scrubbed over and over.
burning it makes a dark cloud linger in the neighborhood for hours
Burn it with old tires. Hides the oil smoke.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Draining as good as extracting.

But you do not see the advantages of extraction? Really?

I will name them.

1. No jack.
2. No hack stands.
3. No drain plug removal.
4. Extraction faster.
5. Extraction safer.
6. Extractions costs less over time.
7. An 80 year old can do extraction, could teach a 10 year old also. So broad range of people can use.
8. People who rent, own houses and even those who are homeless could change oil with extractor.
I was on a completely different line of thought, but I do see your point. I dont mind draining my oil, my preference, it give me a chance to check things out, and extracting is by vacuum, so either word works...
Sponsored