airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
1684345357220.png

That is supposed to be a picture of the back , i havent taken mine out yet , will a new one not simply plug right in without programming ?

If you have Blind Spot Monitor and Cross Traffic Alert, then this module is installed on the Lamp Assembly.
This is what needs programed, only if replacing this module.
The Light Assembly is plug and play plus swap old module over to the new one, it appears that Ford recently changed how the Part comes, it comes without the module, thus cheaper.
SOD = Side Obstacle Detection (L) Left , (R) Right, notice the pic you posted, does not have it (open hole)

It may be possible to do this required programming with Forscan, I believe the module ties into the As-Built Files, so you would need to be able to load the As-Built files to the module itself.
I have not looked that deep with Forscan to see if it is capable.

Removal

1. NOTE: If installing a new SODL or SODR , it is necessary to upload the module configuration information to the scan tool prior to removing the module. This information must be downloaded into the new SODL or SODR after installation.
    Using a diagnostic scan tool, begin the PMI process for the SODL or SODR following the onscreen instructions.
  2. Remove the rear lamp assembly.
    Refer to: Rear Lamp Assembly (417-01 Exterior Lighting, Removal and Installation) .
  3. Remove the screws and position the SODL or SODR cover aside.

[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]

[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]

1. Remove the SODL or SODR .
    1. Disconnect the electrical connector.
    1. Remove the screws.

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Ref: Video

Got the blind spot module working now - YouTube

So you could break down, exactly what Hex Lines contain the VIN # or save a copy of your current settings before replacing. (Replace -Module) then open up Forscan and go back into the SOD module and manually change any / all hex codes that does not match your original module.
I believe it should work, if you were to replace the module.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Ok, I did some digging;

The Vin# is embedded in these Hex Codes for the SOD (L) (R)

7C4-08-01 - (Vin # 1-6) - (Text to Hex) - Converted

7C4-09-01 - (Vin # 7-12) (Text to Hex) - Converted

Did some compare on the above (2) and could not get my vin to match the converted numbers (?)
but I clearly see the imbedded Vin in the last hex line below. (Example)

7C4-10-01 - (Vin # - 13-17) - Last 5 are digits and embedded within the code
Example: 12345 as your last 5 digits of of Vin #

7C4-10-01 --X1X2-X3X4-X5XX

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Ref: Video

Got the blind spot module working now - YouTube

So you could break down, exactly what Hex Lines contain the VIN # or save a copy of your current settings before replacing. (Replace -Module) then open up Forscan and go back into the SOD module and manually change any / all hex codes that does not match your original module.
I believe it should work, if you were to replace the module.
Should need to even mess with HEX codes. There is a configuration file for those modules. It has four lines in it. The first is for "Trailer Tow Package" enabled/diabled. The last three are for the VIN number. You can change the numbers directly and not worry about HEX conversion.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Should need to even mess with HEX codes. There is a configuration file for those modules. It has four lines in it. The first is for "Trailer Tow Package" enabled/diabled. The last three are for the VIN number. You can change the numbers directly and not worry about HEX conversion.
So, are you referring to the easy mode, GUI?
If so, then that makes it easier and let Forscan do the changes. (Itself) but then if needed use the manual change method, if it does not accept the easy mode.
As easy mode does the Hex changes for you.

I have not dove deep into Forscan yet, other than small personality changes, still learning what it can and cannot do.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So, are you referring to the easy mode, GUI?
If so, then that makes it easier and let Forscan do the changes. (Itself) but then if needed use the manual change method, if it does not accept the easy mode.
As easy mode does the Hex changes for you.

I have not dove deep into Forscan yet, other than small personality changes, still learning what it can and cannot do.
Yes, the "easy mode GUI" interface. Those are listed as configuration files vs as-built files. This way Forscan does the conversion process for you and you can enter the VIN like you read it off the truck. Probably best way if you have to replace a damaged module and you don’t have a backup of your original as-built.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Yes, the "easy mode GUI" interface. Those are listed as configuration files vs as-built files. This way Forscan does the conversion process for you and you can enter the VIN like you read it off the truck. Probably best way if you have to replace a damaged module and you don’t have a backup of your original as-built.
Cool - Thanks
So, dealer not involved after all :rockon:

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Mine got a hole in the right rear on the side a couple years ago. I choked on the replacement price, unwilling to pay the deductible, it has had a square of red duct tape until I find one at a reasonable price. I will keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone uncovers a source.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Mine got a hole in the right rear on the side a couple years ago. I choked on the replacement price, unwilling to pay the deductible, it has had a square of red duct tape until I find one at a reasonable price. I will keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone uncovers a source.
In my experience, most of the time nothing ever gets cheaper. Only more expensive.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
watching this - I cracked my right one at Home Depot loading boards...... It still works so I put some model glue on it to seal out the water so far so good....... ridiculous how expensive this things are. hoping they get cheaper and having to program a tail light to the car???? now we've hit a criminal level of complexity!!!!!!! crazy.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
watching this - I cracked my right one at Home Depot loading boards...... It still works so I put some model glue on it to seal out the water so far so good....... ridiculous how expensive this things are. hoping they get cheaper and having to program a tail light to the car???? now we've hit a criminal level of complexity!!!!!!! crazy.
It is not the taillight that is programed, it it the radar module, which can be moved to the new taillight assembly. Also, it is not programed, it is simply entering the vehicles VIN so the radar module can communicate over CANBUS. This cam be done with Forscan.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
State Farm put up quite the fight but to no avail , I WIN ! no deductible ! But i fear a counter move from them in the future , i may have won a small battle here but the war rages on ! (long story but decades long war with state farm )

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
It is not the taillight that is programed, it it the radar module, which can be moved to the new taillight assembly. Also, it is not programed, it is simply entering the vehicles VIN so the radar module can communicate over CANBUS. This cam be done with Forscan.
so if you were to put the old radar module in the new tail light you are good to go? that's easier. Im still going to just leave it with the glue as long as I can, it's not really noticeable and not leaking water so its good enough for me but good to know thanks!
Sponsored