First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Or have tinnitus. My hearing is crap anyway.
I have that too from all the concerts back when I was young. I think Ted Nugent was the one that did me in because ever since that show I have a constant ringing in both ears. Luckily I can still hear really good but the ringing can be unbearable at times especially at night.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I like dumb stuff just as much as the next guy, but this was extra dumb.

I looked up that Thor fake exhaust sounds and saw this video with it installed on a ... Tesla!!! =D

That AMG sounds like a back firing 3 cylinder lol...

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
That AMG sounds like a back firing 3 cylinder lol...
I'd buy the thing if it had a 2-stroke lawnmower or weed eater - that would turn heads.

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I have that too from all the concerts back when I was young. I think Ted Nugent was the one that did me in because ever since that show I have a constant ringing in both ears. Luckily I can still hear really good but the ringing can be unbearable at times especially at night.
Surely you know that tinnitus is linked to increased risk of alzheimers ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Alzheimers...never! Wait, who are you? Can I get a triple cheeseburger please? ?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
For me it's an economic choice.

Floor it or buy eggs.

I suppose once they take my stove and I can't cook eggs, I'll be able to floor it any time I want!
Maybe Ford can design a fake wood / gas electric stove with realistic wood / gas smells ( just flip a switch) for you to cook your fake vege eggs on. Then the world will be( almost) good again.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I blame a led zeppelin concert for mine, arrived late and nowhere to sit except in front of a massive speaker array. Tinnitus is often associated with hearing loss, mine was and my hearing aids have a program that helps to calm it. If you were in Denver I'd suggest you see Dr Julie, but most audio docs are of the fairer sex and the one I went to was very fair indeed, no loss of my optical capabilities that day.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Yes, Rangers have fake engine noises at idle to make it sound like a Singer sewing machine. I don't anything at WOT that would lead me to believe there is any fake noises.
My 13 Focus ST had it. There was a reed in the manifold that vibrated based on how fast the air was flowing the the manifold. There was a hose that traveled through a valve controlled by the ECU to a connection on the firewall that allowed the sound into the cabin. The Mustang GT has the same arrangement.

My two Ecoboost Mustangs had the electronic sound enhancement. It was much more prominent than the system on my Ranger. The Ford Performance tune disables it in the As-Built or you can use For scan to turn it off.
It's a sad day for motor heads if you have to fake the sounds in a Mustang GT.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Maybe Ford can design a fake wood / gas electric stove with realistic wood / gas smells ( just flip a switch) for you to cook your fake vege eggs on. Then the world will be( almost) good again.
1674595643027.png

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
When I test drove mine in 2020 the sound admittedly made a favorable impression, not realizing that it was subterfuge, you can't get that deep v8 sound from a measly 4 cylinder , time to contact my attorney regards a false marketing suit, contend i was tricked into believing i was buying a v8, was it Harley that won a court case against Japanese makes regards their unique exhaust roar .
Hey, if you can sue because mac & cheese takes more than 3 1/2 minutes to cook, then why not!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63825860

Wait till she tries cooking it once they take her gas stove away!

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
The fake engine noise was *absolutely* a real thing in my 2019 Lariat. When I put my foot down, there was an obvious "throaty" rumble present that simply was not coming from the actual engine or exhaust. I disabled it in ForScan a long time ago, but the change was immediate and obvious.

As an avid DIY guy, I hugely prefer to hear the actual engine, so I can listen for any irregularities that may alert me to something which needs some attention.

The piped in noise was loud enough to more-or-less mask the actual engine / exhaust sound, which is pretty quiet from the factory.

The level of fake engine sound is directly proportional to how far down you put your foot. At WOT, it sounded a lot like a throaty V8. When simply cruising or just using light throttle, it is barely (if at all) there.
This is how I feel in my Lariat at engine start and when I put pedal to floor. VROOM!

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist