Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m thinking since I have an STX with the base radio that it doesn’t have the fake engine noise. I’ve tried but I don’t hear it. Also when my bud hooked up Forscan to adjust the tire size we looked for it but couldn’t find it on the menu.
You've found a work around lol...
Sponsored

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I heard it on my 2019 XLT the other day. Only reason is I thought someone was next to me with a V8 and no one was there. Usually I have the radio up to much to hear it or just got used to it.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
The fake engine noise was *absolutely* a real thing in my 2019 Lariat. When I put my foot down, there was an obvious "throaty" rumble present that simply was not coming from the actual engine or exhaust. I disabled it in ForScan a long time ago, but the change was immediate and obvious.

As an avid DIY guy, I hugely prefer to hear the actual engine, so I can listen for any irregularities that may alert me to something which needs some attention.

The piped in noise was loud enough to more-or-less mask the actual engine / exhaust sound, which is pretty quiet from the factory.

The level of fake engine sound is directly proportional to how far down you put your foot. At WOT, it sounded a lot like a throaty V8. When simply cruising or just using light throttle, it is barely (if at all) there.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I'm just curious.
I keep seeing folks mentioning it and even see folks using FORscan to remove it, but I have a hard time believing this is a thing.
I don't have FORscan to see if it's an option to remove it, so I guess I can't rightly argue it's not a thing. But it just seems really weird that Ford would waste engineering time to put this in.
Enlighten me.
" seems really weird that Ford would waste engineering time to put this in"
Amen.
Total waste. I guess for the youngest folks hearing fake engine noise is the norm from video games etc. Sadly, it is a thing. Ive heard that several cars/ trucks have the fake noises. I think gm started it first. I rode in a newer camaro a few years ago that had a computer issue and the engine noises didnt match up with the actual engine rpm... hilarious and insulting all at once. Ford has been piping in sound on the mustangs for a while also. but, at least with those it was real engine noise. On my mustangs I removed the stupid sound tube. plugged the hole and took them to kinneys muffler to "adjust" things.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
I just got forscan to update my tire size but figured I would disable the fake noise while I was in there, turns out on my 21 XL it is disabled from the factory. Maybe it is just a thing on the higher trim levels to make them seem more sporty.
It adds 25 HP.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
My 13 Focus ST had it. There was a reed in the manifold that vibrated based on how fast the air was flowing the the manifold. There was a hose that traveled through a valve controlled by the ECU to a connection on the firewall that allowed the sound into the cabin. The Mustang GT has the same arrangement.

My two Ecoboost Mustangs had the electronic sound enhancement. It was much more prominent than the system on my Ranger. The Ford Performance tune disables it in the As-Built or you can use For scan to turn it off.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
A few months after acquiring the Ranger I was on a fishing trip with 3 buds (one a Taco owner), stopped for gas and pulled out onto a 60 mph highway with heavy traffic, floored it and between the acceleration and the piped in sound one friend was sufficiently impressed to exclaim "this thing is fast" , I have neither a tune nor a damper. I think the sound helps to enhance the sensation of speed.
Now I am normally a conservative driver, but a dumb *ss in my HOA was able to convince people to buy 2 radar flashing speed signs for around $6 k, I opposed this, the dufus put out statistics touting the average speed had dropped by 6 mph (speed limit is 25 mph - very slow for some straightaway stretches and few go that slow) so I floor it when I approach the signs, like hearing that throaty fake V8 sound but even moreso to spite the statistics of slowing the traffic. So my wife is friends with the dufus' wife and came home saying that someone went by the sigh at 56 mph , I said who would do such a thing and she gave me a knowing look. Now I do it when she is in the car with me, but I only do it when there are no vehicles in sight.
THIS!!!!

Every single time I see one of those stupid f***ing things (not including school zones!) I take it as a sign that I am to check the acceleration of the ST. So I drop gears, mash the go pedal, grin like a stupid 16 year old without adult supervision and proceed accordingly. All the while day dreaming about getting one over on da man.

My wife is often not amused, nor impressed, by my maturity level.

:sunglasses:

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I like dumb stuff just as much as the next guy, but this was extra dumb.

I looked up that Thor fake exhaust sounds and saw this video with it installed on a ... Tesla!!! =D

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
It adds 25 HP.
When I test drove mine in 2020 the sound admittedly made a favorable impression, not realizing that it was subterfuge, you can't get that deep v8 sound from a measly 4 cylinder , time to contact my attorney regards a false marketing suit, contend i was tricked into believing i was buying a v8, was it Harley that won a court case against Japanese makes regards their unique exhaust roar .
Sponsored