First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Well, we don't have Tornado's, Hurricanes, (which knock out power for days or weeks.Texas?) or Blizzards. The weather is good all year for the most part, you don't have to live on an earthquake fault (stupid to do so), kind of like living in Tornado Alley where every couple of years you get your house blown away. I tried to go to Florida one time and had to change plans due to a hurricane. My point is most everywhere is both good and bad, our bad is the government unfortunately, other than that its a great place.
I lived in Maine now for 29 years and in all the blizzards we’ve had, I’ve never seen a home in a pile of rubble after.

Yes, I’ve been to CA, it is beautiful north of LA, no dispute there, but between the wild fires, earthquakes, mud slides, and diminishing water supply, it’s too high a price to pay.
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
No one expects it to last forever but the supply appears stable for the near future until we are truly ready to make a massive shift to EV's. The grid an power supply isn't there yet. Last I read there are 270 million internal combustion engine cars on the road. With the "supply chain issues" we're having how long will it take to replace those? How long before working class people can afford to replace the vehicle they have with an EV? There's new technology in nuclear power that look promising...affordable and safe thanks to new advances.
I am all for nuclear 100%, the new tech makes them much safer, smaller, and higher output. I was in favor of 'pocket' nuclear plants (think submarine sized) that use their entire output to power a nearby water desalination plant, and/or Hydrogen production using sea water. But the 'people' will never vote that in. The full transition to EV cars will take 30-50 years depending on if states get the lead out on building out the grid capacity, and in 50 years all of the current oil wells will be depleted. There has not been a new major refinery built in the US in 50 years, and only 2 small ones, in the mean time the ones we do have are running at 100% and the population keeps growing with its need for more of everything. I don't see a good solution as Government, all of them, are crisis driven, and with new dams, refineries, and infrastructure taking up to 10 years in reviews, planning, and build time we are behind the curve all of the time.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I lived in Maine now for 29 years and in all the blizzards we’ve had, I’ve never seen a home in a pile of rubble after.

Yes, I’ve been to CA, it is beautiful north of LA, no dispute there, but between the wild fires, earthquakes, mud slides, and diminishing water supply, it’s too high a price to pay.
Every state has its issues, I will bet you more houses have been destroyed by Tornadoes and hurricanes than earthquakes in the US. I have lived here all of my life and only felt ONE, granted I live in Northern CA, and it was a light one with no damage. At some point we will have the big one, then you people in AZ will have beachfront property :) and I will have a beach to my South and west.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Every state has its issues, I will bet you more houses have been destroyed by Tornadoes and hurricanes than earthquakes in the US. I have lived here all of my life and only felt ONE, granted I live in Northern CA, and it was a light one with no damage. At some point we will have the big one, then you people in AZ will have beachfront property :) and I will have a beach to my South and west.
You caught me...
I have been quietly buying up property along the state line in anticipation of making a killing selling beachfront property sometime in the future.
I also believe the state of Hawaii will double in size when the breakoff floats to that state, so I'm thinking that investing in a coastal boat tour company may be worthwhile. :like:

Additionally, gotta ask...
Can you all even get homeowners insurance in area's where "the big one" might hit ???

Last edited:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Additionally, gotta ask...
Can you all even get homeowners insurance in area's where "the big one" might hit ???
Not sure, I do know that wild fire areas here have had the home owners ins go up like crazy, if you can find a company that will insure you. The state has started issuing coverage to those who make a good effort to make their property fire resistant. A lot of owners who have paid off their homes have let the insurance lapse rather than pay the price, and take their chances, not a good idea.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
As if they aren't high enough already, our wonderful government here is raising gas taxes due to "inflation"- from 51 cents per gallon, to 54. Just another advantage of living in California (sarcasm meant). Don't mean to be political here, just informative to other Californians.
Today is the 1st and our local prices haven't changed.... yet, still $5.69 at costco.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Sooooo...
If you go to a Red Lobster and order a platter of fish, you could end up with a plateful of fried "bumblebee ???
almost anything taste good fried, as long as i got those cheesy biscuits and a cute waitress im down.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I bought a home in Northwest Florida many years ago an we had to "shop" for a homeowners policy. Back then the insurance companies limited being exposed in one dense area to limit being wiped out by a hurricane taking out an area they were too heavily exposed in. This may have changed but it made sense. Each agent got X amount of dollar value to write.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
all our oil was from dead dinosaurs.
time to start filling the trenches with more "dinosaurs" (pick your poison) and we should be able to keep oil a renewable resource
HAHA! Only trouble is it takes millions of years to convert those ‘Dinosaurs’ to oil.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Kalifornia is a perfect example of what overpopulation causes. It aint just gas that is too much. Funny thing is Phoenix gets its gas from Kali.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Of the friends we still have who live in the SF Bay Area, crime is their number one gripe. Cost of gas, water scarcity, earthquakes (at least until another big one hits), regulations on top of regulations, all take a back seat to crime.

billwinkle

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 super cab
Occupation
Retired
I am a 7th generation Californian. My family has been there since 1769. We have watched the downfall for most my life. I retired in 2019 and am now living the good life in North Carolina along the Appalachian trail since March 2020. We barely made it out due to Covid. People were afraid of us because of our California license plate. But now all is great living the good life. And no I did not take their politics with us. Not my way if life. You could not pay me enough to move back.

Last edited:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I am a 7th generation Californian. My family has been there since 1769. We have watched the downfall for most my life. I retired in 2019 an was living the good life in North Carolina along the Appalachian trail since March 2020. We barely made it out due to Covid. People were afraid of us because of our California license plate. But now all is great living the good life. And no I did not take their politics with us. Not my way if life. You could not pay me enough to move back.
1769?

billwinkle

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 super cab
Occupation
Retired
The first generation not my immediate family. They came over with Spanish with Father Serra and help build the missions. Then a hundred years later the feds took our land away.
Sponsored