Transmission cooler

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Keep in mind the trans is cooled by engine coolant, so it will be relatively close to engine temp depending on the situation obviously.

Also catalyst temp is a fake/calculated temperature. There is not a temp sensor in the exhaust. So there is no reason to monitor it, other than funsies.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
That was it! It said tap down but it doesn't go down far enough and I didn't think the hold and drag it. Once I did the Trans Temp was at the bottom. Thx!

IMG_2773.JPG
As a personal suggestion I would have coolant temp and cylinder head temp as well. The reason being is it helps you know if there's going to be a problem real quick or not when you're out on the trail or even anywhere in the United States. Simply put let's say you have a coolant leak and your coolant temperature doesn't want to go up as much but the cylinder head temp is still going up and therefore there's a huge difference. You can pick that up quickly and shut the truck down before it causes any major damage.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Keep in mind the trans is cooled by engine coolant, so it will be relatively close to engine temp depending on the situation obviously.

Also catalyst temp is a fake/calculated temperature. There is not a temp sensor in the exhaust. So there is no reason to monitor it, other than funsies.
Off road and towing yes it will be relatively close. Granted this last weekend I did get the transmission just about to 240°F(crazy yes but it happened) and coolant temp was closer to 220°F. No load on the road it is usually close if not a little lower.

As for the EGT, it may be calculated but it is better than nothing.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
As a personal suggestion I would have coolant temp and cylinder head temp as well. The reason being is it helps you know if there's going to be a problem real quick or not when you're out on the trail or even anywhere in the United States. Simply put let's say you have a coolant leak and your coolant temperature doesn't want to go up as much but the cylinder head temp is still going up and therefore there's a huge difference. You can pick that up quickly and shut the truck down before it causes any major damage.
Thanks again....I just changed it all around and added it. I love this tune but it would be nice if there were so sort of guide for the tuner. It seems like there's a lot you can do with it but no manual on how to do it or what everything means. Now I just need to figure out what number to change the tire size.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Well this was a fun read. So to be clear, is there a stock trans cooler on the truck?

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
You could always plumb in an additional air cooler into the return side of the standard heat exchanger. That quite a common add on here in Australia where a lot of people tow large boats and caravans and where most of the country (except Tasmania) has very hot summers.
Some people even add an electric fan to to air to oil cooler. ( just like the one above)

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could always plumb in an additional air cooler into the return side of the standard heat exchanger. That quite a common add on here in Australia where a lot of people tow large boats and caravans and where most of the country (except Tasmania) has very hot summers.
Some people even add an electric fan to to air to oil cooler. ( just like the one above)
So the cooler shown above could be used in conjunction with the stock cooler? I thought that the stock cooler had to be deleted/bypassed.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So the cooler shown above could be used in conjunction with the stock cooler? I thought that the stock cooler had to be deleted/bypassed.
Chances are it's a different set up out in Australia versus the US Ranger. Out here we have to delete the cooler in order to add plum in what you did. Or we can wait for mishimoto to bring out a more efficient heat exchanger when you would be a good idea. It's just whether or not they're going to do it or not

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chances are it's a different set up out in Australia versus the US Ranger. Out here we have to delete the cooler in order to add plum in what you did. Or we can wait for mishimoto to bring out a more efficient heat exchanger when you would be a good idea. It's just whether or not they're going to do it or not
I have no idea I've never added an aftermarket cooler before, and using a new truck as my guinea pig is hard because there aren't many YouTube videos for things I want to add on this truck haha like my fiberglass for example.
The PPE oil pan looks cool @Frenchy

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2019-2021-ford-ranger-transmission-pans.html

Screenshot_20211124-100132.png

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
No it's the same setup here, many people DO delete the stock cooler when installing the aftermarket one but you CAN also leave it in place as well.
Sponsored