First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
No it's the same setup here, many people DO delete the stock cooler when installing the aftermarket one but you CAN also leave it in place as well.
If that is the case sir I want to see pictures please we have yet to see anything out here or you can retain the factory cooler an ad in an aftermarket cooler with the way the setup is on the ranger here in the United States
Sponsored

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
No it's the same setup here, many people DO delete the stock cooler when installing the aftermarket one but you CAN also leave it in place as well.
I'm starting time trials on a rally track in January so I think adding (not substituting) the mishi cooler would be the way to go for me so I can turn it on when continuously flooring it off-road.

I watched an install vid of the mishi cooler on a ram I'll look for it and post it.

As far as actually watching the trans temps I haven't yet I'm almost certain I'm going with a 5 star tune so that I can add the downpipe. Anyway I like having the stock cooler and the additional cooler are there any threads of the additional cooler on a ute?

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I'm starting time trials on a rally track in January so I think adding (not substituting) the mishi cooler would be the way to go for me so I can turn it on when continuously flooring it off-road.

I watched an install vid of the mishi cooler on a ram I'll look for it and post it.

As far as actually watching the trans temps I haven't yet I'm almost certain I'm going with a 5 star tune so that I can add the downpipe. Anyway I like having the stock cooler and the additional cooler are there any threads of the additional cooler on a ute?
One thing I like about the cooler for these 6 and 10 speed transmissions is that it isn't in the bottom radiator tank. Must be cheaper for Ford to only have to make one radiator instead of 2, and the in- radiator ones seem to be plagued with internal leaks as well.
However I have often wondered from an engineering point of view, putting an air cooler in front of the radiator, does that just simply dump a proportion of the heat straight back into the coolant anyway?

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
The 10R80 is far more robust than you are giving it credit for. I have friends making 800-1000 hp in their S550 mustangs with stock 10R80’s. Granted, the mustang 10R80 has some minor differences but not really drastic ones.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I would want to talk to a 10R80 expert before you go messing with the cooling of this transmission.

There's a reason they want it to come up to temperature quickly and it is probably not all related to fuel economy. With 6 shift solenoids and 6 clutches it has some pretty nifty gymnastics it has to go through for the 10 speeds. I would want to know that over-cooling it wasn't going to cause shift timing issues since the fluid would be slightly thicker than what the TCM is expecting.

I would also want to know what the additional pressure drop from going through an additional cooler is going to do

Might not be a problem at all, but I'd want to know the answers before I started sticking additional coolers inline with the factory one.

Thefadricator

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 01 7.3 64 122s 14 ilx 08 xc90v8 928gts
Occupation
Yes
Keep in mind the trans is cooled by engine coolant, so it will be relatively close to engine temp depending on the situation obviously.

Also catalyst temp is a fake/calculated temperature. There is not a temp sensor in the exhaust. So there is no reason to monitor it, other than funsies.
Cat temp is calculated by the torque converters output. Basically the computer knows temp parameters by where the torque converter is in its duty. Very real very helpful

Funrunner2

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Any updates? I'm adding a remote cooler to my 2020 ranger and figured I would check for any updates

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Any updates? I'm adding a remote cooler to my 2020 ranger and figured I would check for any updates
There really isn't a way to add a remote cooler for the transmission at this time. The best you can do is replace the transmission pan with one from PPE. It will have radiant fins that will help with cooling. Other than that there isn't anything available at this time

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na man I'm building an f150 race truck right now until next year my truck is just to go to work until then lol. I will need one eventually for prerunning but someone else is going to add it first. Definitely is a must need for running the truck hard in the heat.

Funrunner2

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Na man I'm building an f150 race truck right now until next year my truck is just to go to work until then lol. I will need one eventually for prerunning but someone else is going to add it first. Definitely is a must need for running the truck hard in the heat.

20220729_191938.jpg

Guess I will be letting you know how it goes. Only thing I haven't figured out is warming in colder temps.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20220729_191938.jpg

Guess I will be letting you know how it goes. Only thing I haven't figured out is warming in colder temps.
Heck yea man do it. Are you able to monitor your trans temps? I can't with my sct tuner.
Sponsored