Unusual Electrical Occurrence

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
As of lately, when I unlock the truck (2019 XLT) and open the door, the center stack gives the warning "System Off to Save Battery". Upon inserting the key, the chime only comes from the instrument cluster, and the radio is turned off.

I have not made any changes to anything, only recently changing the oil and rotating the tires. The AS/S hasnt engaged in a long time because I have not driven long enough distances to charge the battery. I have not checked the battery to see if its weak but I will tonight.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this ?

TIA
Sponsored

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
OP
OP
DHMag

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Thanks for all the speedy replies. Anyone know the warrantly on the battery ?
Be advised the system only charges the battery to 75% by default. Rick @Trigganometry gave me the instructions to change that setting if you want, but don't set it to 100%, the new batteries don't like being fully charged. Also, be advised that if you put a charger on it, don't leave it on all the time for the same reason.

------------------------------
Using Forscan load configuration tables and then choose BdyCM module configuration. (Not as built one!)

Then top tab go to last one of same name.

Then the page pictured appears. Select what I have highlighted and right click to have table to edit appears or at bottom of window left “edit selected”. Change from 75 to whatever you want. Then bottom left again use the save to have it write table to BCM.

BatteryCharge.jpg

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I was having this issue as we travel and I park the truck for extended periouds, set mine to 90% and now only get the sleep mode message if the truck is parked for a month or so. A solar trickle charge will not hurt the battery and will offset the parasitic loss.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I don't know exactly, but both @AzScorpion and I have had batteries replaced under warranty when our trucks were less than two years old. I had exactly the same symptoms you are having now and just took it in for them to replace.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't know exactly, but both @AzScorpion and I have had batteries replaced under warranty when our trucks were less than two years old. I had exactly the same symptoms you are having now and just took it in for them to replace.
Mine ended up being a dead cell. I use this battery maintainer at least 2-3 days a week too.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I looked into this recently because I've been getting those warnings again as well as the occasional high pitched parking sensor sound that I have heard is also related to low battery for some reason. Here is the link on the Ford website regarding battery warranty:

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/warranty/warranties-and-coverage/what-is-my-battery-warranty/

Ford's original vehicle batteries are covered for recharging and replacement during the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

OP
OP
DHMag

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I looked into this recently because I've been getting those warnings again as well as the occasional high pitched parking sensor sound that I have heard is also related to low battery for some reason. Here is the link on the Ford website regarding battery warranty:

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/warranty/warranties-and-coverage/what-is-my-battery-warranty/
Im at 29 months of ownership and roughly 33k miles, so it looks like ill be visiting my dealer this week.

ranger4x

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 301a
I highly recommend a trickle charger or battery maintainer. My son drives his little Hyundai back and forth to school, about 2 miles each way. I had to replace his battery a couple weeks ago. Those short distances don't give the alternator a chance to charge the battery appropriately. Funny enough is a 2019 with 32k miles on it.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The battery is covered under the 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. If you have an extended warranty through Ford(not the aftermarket extended warranty) then it may be covered for longer.