First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger lariat crew
Occupation
Pudnocker
Had a strange event happen. I attempted an upgrade to the Navigation database on my 2020 Super crew yesterday at work and was locked out of my truck. I left my Key FOB in and locked the truck via the app. When I came back 6 hours later the truck was completely locked out including all app functions. I thought maybe I left the IGN on? Pulling the door handles did nothing. After waiting 01:30 for roadside assistance they stuck that inflatable door brake -in device and opened the door. The alarm went off so when I used the FOB it started right up like nothing happened.

Anybody?
Sponsored

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
Was the truck running? I'm assuming no, so it was in accessory mode for 6 hours? If my memory serves, the truck shuts off accessory mode when the battery reaches a certain level - I think mine did it after about 45 minutes when I did my NA119. So the truck would've gone into hibernation long before 6 hours. Also based on what you've said, it seems like it started right up, so the battery couldn't have been dead. Maybe there was a security lockout situation where the truck puckered up because they key had been in accessory mode for so long.

OP
OP
Seanyfly

Seanyfly

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pudnocker
Was the truck running? I'm assuming no, so it was in accessory mode for 6 hours? If my memory serves, the truck shuts off accessory mode when the battery reaches a certain level - I think mine did it after about 45 minutes when I did my NA119. So the truck would've gone into hibernation long before 6 hours. Also based on what you've said, it seems like it started right up, so the battery couldn't have been dead. Maybe there was a security lockout situation where the truck puckered up because they key had been in accessory mode for so long.
The truck was not running while finishing the update.
I verified the update was completed after an hour.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
The truck was not running while finishing the update.
I verified the update was completed after an hour.
So you performed the update, verified that it completed after 90 minutes, took the truck out of accessory mode (returned the truck to "off"), and then 6 hours later everything was locked up? That is weird. Any issues since?

OP
OP
Seanyfly

Seanyfly

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pudnocker
So you performed the update, verified that it completed after 90 minutes, took the truck out of accessory mode (returned the truck to "off"), and then 6 hours later everything was locked up? That is weird. Any issues since?
Completely normal!

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
Completely normal!
If you have a dealer nearby that could run some sort of diagnostic log, they may be able to shed some light. Not an OBD scan or anything, but some other kind of ECU log accessible to dealers. I'd try to do it ASAP as logs usually only go back so far. They might shrug and send you on your way, but they might find something. Seems like you're good to go for now at least. I see you have the Lariat. I'm assuming the push button start as well? Might have something to do with the truck not being a fan of the fob being left in the truck. Most vehicles with PBS get cranky when you attempt to lock the fob in the vehicle. Could've been that they were having some sort of disagreement with one another and eventually upset the entire system, which went into a lockdown mode to protect itself. One way to test is to replicate the circumstance again, this time at home with your second key handy. It may die again so you may need to use the physical key to get yourself in.

OP
OP
Seanyfly

Seanyfly

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pudnocker
If you have a dealer nearby that could run some sort of diagnostic log, they may be able to shed some light. Not an OBD scan or anything, but some other kind of ECU log accessible to dealers. I'd try to do it ASAP as logs usually only go back so far. They might shrug and send you on your way, but they might find something. Seems like you're good to go for now at least. I see you have the Lariat. I'm assuming the push button start as well? Might have something to do with the truck not being a fan of the fob being left in the truck. Most vehicles with PBS get cranky when you attempt to lock the fob in the vehicle. Could've been that they were having some sort of disagreement with one another and eventually upset the entire system, which went into a lockdown mode to protect itself. One way to test is to replicate the circumstance again, this time at home with your second key handy. It may die again so you may need to use the physical key to get yourself in.
Thanks!
I’ll try to replicate it again.
I don’t mind resetting the unit and starting over.
Sponsored