First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
I have the 589Fab hidden winch mount along with the 9500S RC winch, the ARB twin air compressor, and some cheap bed lights. Right now I have the bed lights ran straight to the battery from a rocker switch and the other two waiting to be installed. I am also wanting to put a switch in the cab for the air compressor. Already have the light force fascia and the switch for the compressor. Only other thing I am moving to the fascia is the brake controller dial.

So that all leads me to the question about a relay box and extra fuse box. I am thinking about adding one so that I do not have anything that isn't stock ran to the factory fuse panel. I have been watching a lot of videos on how to build the relay box and all, but where I am most unsure of at the moment is what gauge wire would I need to run from the relay box to inside the truck. I will also be moving the bed lights to this box. Hopefully if I am thinking about this correctly and the only extra thing I will not have separated by the relay box is the winch it self. I believe that has to go straight to the battery.

Hopefully my rambling isn't too awful here, and someone actually understands what I am trying to do and can offer some suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
If I am following you correctly.
The gauge of wire run into the cab needs to be just enough to fire the relay, which is next to nothing for current draw. Then the relay and the primary, or "power" wiring if you will, from battery to the relay and then relay to the device is the critical size. (essentially the point of a relay in vehicles, to reduce electrical load on the switch)

A seperate aftermarket fuse box and relay box to power all the aftermarket stuff is not a bad idea.

Edit: By next to nothing, I mean about 150-200mA. A single 18ga wire less than 3.5ft could fire/power the coil in 50 std automotive bosch relays.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bproctor

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
If I am following you correctly.
The gauge of wire run into the cab needs to be just enough to fire the relay, which is next to nothing for current draw. Then the relay and the primary, or "power" wiring if you will, from battery to the relay and then relay to the device is the critical size. (essentially the point of a relay in vehicles, to reduce electrical load on the switch)

A seperate aftermarket fuse box and relay box to power all the aftermarket stuff is not a bad idea.

Edit: By next to nothing, I mean about 150-200mA. A single 18ga wire less than 3.5ft could fire/power the coil in 50 std automotive bosch relays.
Thanks!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician