2021 Ordering Experience - April to August

Fomocodt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 tremor
Occupation
Automotive technician
This is my experience of the ordering process combined with dates. Wanted to post this so people could get a feel for what it has been like ordering during the chip shortage of 2021. Background, I have a little more inside knowledge than most as I work at the ford dealer that I ordered with. I ordered a 21 Ranger Tremor in Cactus Gray with added factory bed liner and tow package.

April 27, 2021 - went into sales manager's office, sat down and built my ranger out on the order sheet with him. Order was sent in and I got a printout of my build sheet with pricing (D-plan)

April 29, 2021 - got confirmation of my order through ford and got my VIN. Was scheduled for week of June 14th as of this day.

May 2021 - Ranger plant was shut down for 2 weeks during this month. Unfortunately even from the dealer side I was unable to see any updates on the sales locater about if my build date pushed back at all.

May 31, 2021 - ranger plant opened back up and confirmed that my build date was pushed back 2 additional weeks, assuming everything got pushed back due to the closure, so this was expected. New build date was week of June 28th.

June 14, 2021 - My build week updated to build day of June 2! YAY!!! I was excited to get a build date and be able to see on the customer order tracking that progress towards it was being made. I also got a window sticker at this time in our dealer OASIS page and could finally pull my truck up in the workshop manual. I will say I was slightly worried about it being built on a Friday before a holiday weekend, especially as that particular day I had 2 brand new trucks (both less than 30 miles on odometer) which had electrical issues due to improper assembly at the factory causing wires to become crushed and shorting various circuits. These were on f150's so totally different plant, but still concerning.

July 5, 2021 - Got notice on dealer site that my truck was built, at this point I believe it was just awaiting the spray in Bed liner. The customer order tracking site said still in progress so I assume they had finishing touches to put on it.

July 9, 2021 - Dealer website changed status to shipped! Got an estimated ETA from the customer order tracking site of delivery to my dealer from July 28-August 3. This is slightly problematic as I am going on a trip the 29th and would not return until the 3rd and would love to be able to drive this truck on the trip. I was informed by my sales manager that we could send someone to grab the car from the depot assuming it shows up prior to then.

July 12, 2021 - A sales associate who was previously a technician I worked with hooked me up with the rail car # and shipping info and I spent a good portion of my morning at work calling into the automated system attempting to read my railcar number to the locator with the automated voice detection software constantly mistaking my "C" for a "B" and "T" for an "E". Found last update was in Wallbridge Ohio Saturday morning, so it has left the manufacturing plant and is on its way to Houston!

My next update will be flooding the forums with pictures of my new truck and I am happy to have the waiting game done. All in all a little over 3 months from order to delivery assuming all dates hold, my first ordered vehicle ever and I cannot wait to get outside with the thing. Good luck to all of y'all ordering and may the manufacturing gods be on your side!
Sponsored

Count Desmondo

First Name
Desmondo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Supercab
This is my experience of the ordering process combined with dates. Wanted to post this so people could get a feel for what it has been like ordering during the chip shortage of 2021. Background, I have a little more inside knowledge than most as I work at the ford dealer that I ordered with. I ordered a 21 Ranger Tremor in Cactus Gray with added factory bed liner and tow package.

April 27, 2021 - went into sales manager's office, sat down and built my ranger out on the order sheet with him. Order was sent in and I got a printout of my build sheet with pricing (D-plan)

April 29, 2021 - got confirmation of my order through ford and got my VIN. Was scheduled for week of June 14th as of this day.

May 2021 - Ranger plant was shut down for 2 weeks during this month. Unfortunately even from the dealer side I was unable to see any updates on the sales locater about if my build date pushed back at all.

May 31, 2021 - ranger plant opened back up and confirmed that my build date was pushed back 2 additional weeks, assuming everything got pushed back due to the closure, so this was expected. New build date was week of June 28th.

June 14, 2021 - My build week updated to build day of June 2! YAY!!! I was excited to get a build date and be able to see on the customer order tracking that progress towards it was being made. I also got a window sticker at this time in our dealer OASIS page and could finally pull my truck up in the workshop manual. I will say I was slightly worried about it being built on a Friday before a holiday weekend, especially as that particular day I had 2 brand new trucks (both less than 30 miles on odometer) which had electrical issues due to improper assembly at the factory causing wires to become crushed and shorting various circuits. These were on f150's so totally different plant, but still concerning.

July 5, 2021 - Got notice on dealer site that my truck was built, at this point I believe it was just awaiting the spray in Bed liner. The customer order tracking site said still in progress so I assume they had finishing touches to put on it.

July 9, 2021 - Dealer website changed status to shipped! Got an estimated ETA from the customer order tracking site of delivery to my dealer from July 28-August 3. This is slightly problematic as I am going on a trip the 29th and would not return until the 3rd and would love to be able to drive this truck on the trip. I was informed by my sales manager that we could send someone to grab the car from the depot assuming it shows up prior to then.

July 12, 2021 - A sales associate who was previously a technician I worked with hooked me up with the rail car # and shipping info and I spent a good portion of my morning at work calling into the automated system attempting to read my railcar number to the locator with the automated voice detection software constantly mistaking my "C" for a "B" and "T" for an "E". Found last update was in Wallbridge Ohio Saturday morning, so it has left the manufacturing plant and is on its way to Houston!

My next update will be flooding the forums with pictures of my new truck and I am happy to have the waiting game done. All in all a little over 3 months from order to delivery assuming all dates hold, my first ordered vehicle ever and I cannot wait to get outside with the thing. Good luck to all of y'all ordering and may the manufacturing gods be on your side!
Well said good sir!

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
March 2 ordered Scab Ranger
Built April 28
Delivered May 4

Pinski66

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Congrats on your tremor! I'm about 6 weeks behind you. I'll share my experience so far. I Placed my order on June 17, for an XLT tremor, with tow. No updates from the dealer, so I called customers service July 12 to see if they had any info. Happy to say I have a VIN and a scheduled build date of August 20. I realize it will probably get delayed, but im okay with that. I'm happy that i locked in my price (z plan) and a few incentives.

RescueMe1060

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2021 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Dept. of Public Works
So I ordered well before you did and have been waiting longer and still have no VIN or any update whatsoever. What gives....

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Congratulations, and I hope it shows up before your trip. I ordered mine on Sept. 01, and 13 weeks later it arrived. There wasn't a chip shortage at that time. It just seemed to be the usual wait for Rangers at the time.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
So I ordered well before you did and have been waiting longer and still have no VIN or any update whatsoever. What gives....
I hate to say it, but I think your dealer has not ordered your truck. I got a confirmation a couple days after ordering and a VIN in about a month with a tentative build week (I ordered in December of 2018, but that is similar to what others who have ordered recently reported).

This is my full history of my order:

Ordered at Dealer 12/22/2018
Accepted at Ford 12/26/2018
VIN Assigned 1/18/2019
Window Sticker Available 3/8/2019
Blend Date 3/16/2019
Production Complete 3/19/2019
Shipped by truck from plant to Rail Yard in Woodhaven, MI 3/23/2019
Shipped via train from Woodhaven, MI 3/29/2019
Arrived in Portland Railyard 4/9/2019
Delivered via truck to Dealer 4/12/2019

Grussell

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat 4X4 Screw, 17 Escape Titanium
Occupation
retired fire fighter
This posting didn't sit too well with me. I have been waiting on the promised details of my Ranger on order for a while. Despite trying to find the info, neither the dealer nor Ford had been very helpful. Armed with the info in the postings here, I got on the phone to the dealer's Sales Manager with a bit of determination in my voice.

For background and timeline purposes, I owned a 98 Ranger XLT Supercab and loved it. I promised myself I would own a new Ranger a year or two after the new Ranger with 4 doors came out.

While on vacation in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico over Christmas 2017 I saw the "new" Crewcab Ranger on the road and in a parking lot. I immediately pointed it out to my wife telling her I would have one in the second year after it was available in the US (I would never buy a new model in the first year until the bugs are known and worked out).

When the 2019 Rangers came out, we were recovering from a tornado that hit our house and dropped a tree on my Crown Vic. This meant that I already had a new Ford Escape sitting in the driveway so I pushed back my plans for Ranger ownership by a year.

In January of this year, the time was right for a new Ranger. I am at the point in my life that I know exactly what I want and I'm unwilling to accept something that isn't exactly that way. Or as my 21 yr old daughter tells me, "You're a hard-headed old guy." She is partially correct - hard-headed, YES, old guy, NOT YET but getting there. So I called my preferred local dealer and talked with a sales guy. Told him exactly what I wanted, including a delivery time of mid to late July (read NOW). My sales guy suggested I call him back in late March to place the order so it would meet my desired delivery timeline.

In late March I followed up with a call back to my salesperson. Due to missed calls on both ends, my vacation, and work obligations we didn't talk until the first week of April. Sight unseen (meaning I still haven't driven a new Ranger) I used the online build package on the Ford website to spec out the Ranger I wanted:

Lariat
Cyber Orange / Ebony interior
Crewcab
4X2
3.73 Electronic-Locking Differential Axle
Black Appearance Pkg
Spray In Bedliner
Tow Pkg.

After talking with my salesperson by phone and in consideration of my 2025 retirement and relocations plans in a few years, I upgraded to a 4X4. We came to an agreement on the details. I provided my VISA number to make a $7500 downpayment. (Yes, I paid off VISA immediately, I wanted and got the frequent flier miles my VISA gets me). That was on or about April 15. In my mind that is the day the order was placed. The salesperson advised me I would receive an email from Ford and the dealer when the build is scheduled and a VIN is assigned.

The dealer placed the order with Ford on April 21, still with an understanding of a mid/late July delivery. The dealer confirmed to me that a 12-16 week build/delivery timeline was the norm.

From April 21 until I began poking my dealer about three weeks ago I have been in the dark about the build. Three weeks ago I recognized I hadn't received an email with a build date and VIN. This prompted me to bug my salesperson who said he wasn't able to provide me any info beyond what I learned months ago.

In the meantime, I joined this group where I learned of the delivery timelines posted across Ranger5G.com. There is a discrepancy in what I was being told compared with the experiences of other owners.

The original post here today was a fire in my belly. (Thanks for posting your timelines) I was pissed because I still knew nothing! So I poked the bear, er uh, my dealer. Fired up and not relenting until I received some solid details of my new Ranger. Now, I have a VIN number and a build date which will occur at least a month after the promised delivery time I requested.

The projected build week is now the week of August 9. My wild ass guess is the build will be done by Friday, Aug 13! (UGH). And delivery will take 4 to 6 weeks after the build is done. My thinking right now is I won't have a new Ranger until late September, a full two months late!

At least I know now! I still want to try out a Ranger but maybe I will wait until it is my Ranger I am trying out (and stuck with).

Roscoe_t

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL Supercab
I drove my Ranger home today. Ordered it Feb. 20. The dealer (a small, family-owned operation in southern Wis) had nine new vehicles on the lot. The salesman said they usually have 50.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This posting didn't sit too well with me. I have been waiting on the promised details of my Ranger on order for a while. Despite trying to find the info, neither the dealer nor Ford had been very helpful. Armed with the info in the postings here, I got on the phone to the dealer's Sales Manager with a bit of determination in my voice.

For background and timeline purposes, I owned a 98 Ranger XLT Supercab and loved it. I promised myself I would own a new Ranger a year or two after the new Ranger with 4 doors came out.

While on vacation in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico over Christmas 2017 I saw the "new" Crewcab Ranger on the road and in a parking lot. I immediately pointed it out to my wife telling her I would have one in the second year after it was available in the US (I would never buy a new model in the first year until the bugs are known and worked out).

When the 2019 Rangers came out, we were recovering from a tornado that hit our house and dropped a tree on my Crown Vic. This meant that I already had a new Ford Escape sitting in the driveway so I pushed back my plans for Ranger ownership by a year.

In January of this year, the time was right for a new Ranger. I am at the point in my life that I know exactly what I want and I'm unwilling to accept something that isn't exactly that way. Or as my 21 yr old daughter tells me, "You're a hard-headed old guy." She is partially correct - hard-headed, YES, old guy, NOT YET but getting there. So I called my preferred local dealer and talked with a sales guy. Told him exactly what I wanted, including a delivery time of mid to late July (read NOW). My sales guy suggested I call him back in late March to place the order so it would meet my desired delivery timeline.

In late March I followed up with a call back to my salesperson. Due to missed calls on both ends, my vacation, and work obligations we didn't talk until the first week of April. Sight unseen (meaning I still haven't driven a new Ranger) I used the online build package on the Ford website to spec out the Ranger I wanted:

Lariat
Crewcab
4X2
Black Appearance Pkg
Spray In Bedliner
Tow Pkg.

After talking with my salesperson by phone and in consideration of my 2025 retirement and relocations plans in a few years, I upgraded to a 4X4. We came to an agreement on the details. I provided my VISA number to make a $7500 downpayment. (Yes, I paid off VISA immediately, I wanted and got the frequent flier miles my VISA gets me). That was on or about April 15. In my mind that is the day the order was placed. The salesperson advised me I would receive an email from Ford and the dealer when the build is scheduled and a VIN is assigned.

The dealer placed the order with Ford on April 21, still with an understanding of a mid/late July delivery. The dealer confirmed to me that a 12-16 week build/delivery timeline was the norm.

From April 21 until I began poking my dealer about three weeks ago I have been in the dark about the build. Three weeks ago I recognized I hadn't received an email with a build date and VIN. This prompted me to bug my salesperson who said he wasn't able to provide me any info beyond what I learned months ago.

In the meantime, I joined this group where I learned of the delivery timelines posted across Ranger5G.com. There is a discrepancy in what I was being told compared with the experiences of other owners.

The original post here today was a fire in my belly. (Thanks for posting your timelines) I was pissed because I still knew nothing! So I poked the bear, er uh, my dealer. Fired up and not relenting until I received some solid details of my new Ranger. Now, I have a VIN number and a build date which will occur at least a month after the promised delivery time I requested.

The projected build week is now the week of August 9. My wild ass guess is the build will be done by Friday, Aug 13! (UGH). And delivery will take 4 to 6 weeks after the build is done. My thinking right now is I won't have a new Ranger until late September, a full two months late!

At least I know now! I still want to try out a Ranger but maybe I will wait until it is my Ranger I am trying out (and stuck with).
I'm glad you got some answers finally. I'd bet money that your dealer didn't order it when they said they did. It seems to happen a lot more often than it should. At least now you know - and now comes the hard part - waiting.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Lariat
Crewcab
4X2
Black Appearance Pkg
Spray In Bedliner
Tow Pkg.

I know you're frustrated by Everybody's Favorite Excuse™ for delays (we all are) but you made the right decision ordering your truck. It's worth it!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I confirmed with Ford that the order was placed on April 5th. Its in their system
And Ford can't tell you why you haven't gotten a VIN or a build week yet? You should have gotten that at least 2 months ago I'd expect.

Something seems terribly wrong with that.....

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered May 18th (Lariat Tremor with tow and spray in liner). Was told at that time 15-23 weeks ETA.

Dealer contacted me on May 21st to say Ford confirmed order received. He said that Ford was so far behind on orders that sometimes even that step takes weeks.

6/8 dealer confirmed they would apply the $1000 incentive for ordering an out of stock vehicle

6/17 still no scheduled build date.

7/9 Dealer called to tell me my truck has been scheduled for build date of 8/11.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Have you asked dealer for order number? They should have one if they ordered it.
Sponsored