Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2010 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
Are these bad for our engines or not? I can admit I am an idiot because I want one. I want to hear the tststststststst sound because I like smiles per gallon.

But I have read so many mixed reviews on adding a BOV. I want to get the Boomba because it leaves the stock BoV intact, and I want to keep all OEM parts as well.

Are there any engineers that can tell me whether or not this would effect engine performance negatively? I have read that air is metered. Then I have read that venting to atmosphere causes turbo lag since you’re not feeding it back into the intake. Then I’ve read that it will prevent condensation in the intercooler. Etc etc.

my goal is simply this: be obnoxiously loud without affecting my engine performance negatively or affecting the reliability of my engine.

I know I can take it off quickly in the event the truck needs warranty work (unless it won’t cause warranty to be denied)

I already have the FlowMaster FX series catback exhaust. That is absolutely the extent of the things I want to do to the engine. No tune or any other bolt ons. I just want to hear smile noises
Sponsored

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
I've had the turbo smart BOV on mine for about a month now and LOVE IT. I got the one that vents to the atmosphere and back to the intake(dual port). I've noticed no power loss or other problems/issues.

OP
OP
AtillaTheHung

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the turbo smart BOV on mine for about a month now and LOVE IT. I got the one that vents to the atmosphere and back to the intake(dual port). I've noticed no power loss or other problems/issues.
I debated on the turbosmart. But the Boomba doesn’t affect the factory BOV at all which is nice! Thanks for your input though!

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Baking
I might be misunderstanding but if it doesn't affect the BOV at all then are you sure there will be an added sound??

OP
OP
AtillaTheHung

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
I might be misunderstanding but if it doesn't affect the BOV at all then are you sure there will be an added sound??
When I say it doesn’t affect the factory BOV. I mean it doesn’t change the factory BOV for another part. It’s just an adapter.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I want someone to tell me why hearing the excess pressure blowoff noise, is so"cool"? If you really like the sound, close off the port on the manifold intake, and route a hose from the blowoff into the vehicle's interior! It won't take you long to discover how irritating it can be!

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Baking
I want someone to tell me why hearing the excess pressure blowoff noise, is so"cool"? If you really like the sound, close off the port on the manifold intake, and route a hose from the blowoff into the vehicle's interior! It won't take you long to discover how irritating it can be!
Irrelevant comment.
People get things because they want them. I wanted to hear a blow off hiss when I let off the throttle at high RPM. Why is that so hard to understand? I understand you're old and retired but surely you can open up your mind to comprehend that...

Also, it seems like you're ignorant on how it sounds, it only makes the audible "hiss" when under load and high RPM; not annoying at all due to it being non-existent under normal driving conditions.

Any other questions or concerns from you?

Edit 5/10/21- I am an assshole but I do stand by it still being an irrelevant comment. :giggle:

Last edited:

clowd9

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Geologist
Vehicle Showcase
I had the boomba adapter on my Fiesta ST for less than 24 hours. Probably doesn't directly translate to the ranger but i'd guess they're pretty similar. It sounded cool when I was sitting in the garage doing a few revs or if i'd really rip it, but I really didn't like how often I could audibly hear it vent while driving normally. It would constantly vent. Driving at a steady speed it constantly sneezed little vents of boost. It's noise, but not what I wanted. If its the same on the ranger i'd hard pass. FWIW l also felt an increase in spool time.

OP
OP
AtillaTheHung

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
You mean to tell me that you took time out of your day to comment this instead of contributing to the thread in a useful manner? You sat down and thought of a response that had absolutely NO value to the question at hand, just to make someone feel like they’re less than?

geez.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I had the boomba adapter on my Fiesta ST for less than 24 hours. Probably doesn't directly translate to the ranger but i'd guess they're pretty similar. It sounded cool when I was sitting in the garage doing a few revs or if i'd really rip it, but I really didn't like how often I could audibly hear it vent while driving normally. It would constantly vent. Driving
You mean to tell me that you took time out of your day to comment this instead of contributing to the thread in a useful manner? You sat down and thought of a response that had absolutely NO value to the question at hand, just to make someone feel like they’re less than?

geez.
Just wait until some putz starts a thread about rollin’ coal.

OP
OP
AtillaTheHung

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
Stick a duck quacker on the vent to atmosphere unit and you get a bonus noise! Lmao
already done it and I absolutely love it. Thanks. Quacks every minute of the day.

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
I took the hose from the BOV to the intake manifold off and capped it off on the BOV side. I haven't noticed any difference besides the added noise. I'm sure it adds to turbo lag but imo the turbo is so small it doesn't take much to spool it up. It makes the pshh sound and from what I can tell, it sounds like the boomba/turbosmart. I can't tell you about long term affects as I've only done it for the past 3500 miles but I like it. If HKS made a ssq BOV I would certainly purchase it. I know they have them on the 2.3l Mustangs so I'd like to see if its made for the Ranger or if the same one would work for our trucks.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
already done it and I absolutely love it. Thanks. Quacks every minute of the day.
Pics or video.... or are ya pullin' our collective chains ? ? :p
Sponsored