2019 vs 2021 Ranger cost cutting moves for Ford

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
when I did this exercise back when I was buying my Ranger, the difference for similarly equipped was almost $15gs more for the F150.
It will be a lot more if you go "package" to "package" or "model" to "model", but the F150 packages/models always have more features than the Ranger, so you can't really compare Lariat to Lariat. The only thing I am getting at is that the mid-size truck market can not be optioned as nice as other vehicle segments.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Last time I checked, the Canadian increase over US cost was about 10% on the Lariat and about 30% on the Raptor. Based on the exchange rate at the time, the Lariat's cost was subsidized and the Raptor was full exchange rate.
I wouldn't call it subsidized since there seems to be very little relationship between the cost of a vehicle and what it sells for. Rather, call it "this is how much they figured they could charge".

Reactions: DHH

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I haven't check the Canadian/US price difference between an F150 and Ranger, but I have checked the difference between an F150 lariat and Raptor and noticed that Ford puts a different percentage increase on those models.
Last time I checked, the Canadian increase over US cost was about 10% on the Lariat and about 30% on the Raptor. Based on the exchange rate at the time, the Lariat's cost was subsidized and the Raptor was full exchange rate.
Interesting. Judging by the numbers you posted earlier the Ranger seems to fall in a similar area to the Raptor, full exchange rate.

Looks like Ford is trying to make moves in the Canadian full size market.

F-150 sales are up 15%, the closest competitor is Silverado @ 3%. GMC and Dodge are actually loosing ground.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
I am curious...not sure if some of our global Ranger owners are here watching this thread but I'd be curious as to the options list for the global market competitors vs Ranger? I am thinking the only two "global" truck competitors would be the Mercedes X class (rebadged Nissan Navarra) or the Volkswagen Amarok for creature comforts and amentities?

All kidding aside I was actually lusting for an Amarok until the Ranger was tagged back for North America. I have a few friends in German that own them and they love them.

As was stated I think that the full size trucks have a lock on the snazzy stuff pretty much due to market share and such. I'm just glad I have dual zone AC and a truck that can do what I need and give me 22+ MPG.

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
Okay Folks,

As I have stated many times before. The center tie downs were deleted by the Plant Vehicle Team, lead at that time by Roger B, a friend of mine. It was done by running change, not mid model year. I have no idea of savings but Roger retired pretty soon after the deed was done. PVT is part of Ford Light Truck Engineering and takes charge of the in production Rangers, located at the plant, while the forward model engineers in the Engineering/Research campus work on the New Vehicle Programs.

Yes it was done as a cost reduction action. Was it a wise decision...my opinion is no but I am not in charge, so my opinion does not count.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for the back story!
I wasn't complaining, I was just providing information for others to help fill in the gaps. Apologies if my terminology isn't 100% either (mid-year/ running change). I'm an enthusiast but not a professional. I have a habit of inserting my own experiences into conversations such as this just to stay involved. ??‍♂ ( I also don't always read through EVERY comment before I reply sometimes, otherwise I might forget what I was going to say!)

I learn something new from this site and it's members such as you everyday and truly enjoy it and the awesome stories/ experiences.

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
My 2019 only has 4..... granted it was purchased almost mid 2020, and was one of the last 2019s, which means it was probably a mid-year change since it's easy to do.
Or maybe someone who had a ‘20 went back to their dealer to “point out” that they were missing on theirs, and the dealer took them from the ‘19 on the lot which may have become yours ?

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure some things are cost savings but several are related to COVID production issues; plants are still short on staff and parts. Streamlining the process or swapping in substitute parts is necessary in order to keep production going at some level. They have also stripped all the aftermarket accessories from the build page; eliminating them costs Ford money but saves production time so trucks can get to the lots. The dealers in my area are starving for Rangers - can't get them from Ford. It makes me roll my eyes at all the Bronco order folks who can't figure out why Ford is behind on production - like somehow they are unaware that all manufacturing on the planet ceased for several months last year and still isn't close to operating at full capacity. The whole reason I'm switching back to Ford comes from how they pivoted to making ventilators and PPE (still making PPE) during this. Just like they did with iron lungs during polio and making everything under the sun during WW2.

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
I'm wondering if they put more of that cost into R/D to fix issues they found with the earlier 2.3ls. I know it's the same engine but it's possible they made small, hardly noticeable changes. For example, changing the diameter of some coolant line for better flow or changing a bolt to a stud. My last truck was an 06 6.0l F250 diesel they made from 03-07. That engine was VERY problematic in many ways. I found a post made years after production that detailed changes that Ford made each year to mitigate the problems with the earlier model engines. Same engine but for example from 05+ they used a different turbo. There were other changes through time but from what I was reading, you wouldn't be able to tell by just popping the hood and looking at it. Just my 2 cents. Hopefully that's what they did with the money they saved lol.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently Rangers are more expensive and F-150s are cheaper in Canada?

That is not at all the way things break down here.

For me to option out an F-150 the same as my Lariat I'd be around $55k-$60k.

Personally I avoid lower trim levels. I've explained it for decades to people by saying I'd rather have a loaded Ranger than a stripped F-150.

Just now I've finally done it.

Plus I love looking down on folks who spent 50% more than me for a truck to do the same weekend chores that doesn't fit in their garage.
Agreed. In order to get the same options as a Ranger Lariat with the 501A, you're into a F150 Lariat that is around 60k. Granted you have more shoulder room and more rear legroom, but for the day to day use, that's all you're getting. And then your $60,000 truck sits in the driveway and gets banged up in parking lots because it doesn't fit anywhere. I'm not a contractor or rancher and don't pull a small house or tuna boat so there's no way for me to logically justify the F150 for the cost difference.

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
I’m overall impressed with my lariat, Ford did a nice job. Stereo is great with the B&O, competes with my Audi’s. Electronic driving aids work great. Overall pretty nice.
Three things I wanted but could get were electric rear window, sunroof and AC seats :(
Agreed, hard to believe that at $45K a fully decked out Lariat does not have cooled seats or the power rear window.
Brian

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
I'm feeling better about my 2019 Lariat now. Only 20K miles, all the pre-delete goodies and zero interest loan from Ford.

I 'deleted' the Ecoboost badge myself though. The bit of chrome was visually unbalanced to me.

I was at the dealership getting the roof trim replaced (corrosion issue) and was ogling the only Lariat they had - a 4X4 Sport with a $47K price tag.

Yep... feeling real good about mine.
How do you like your Velossa Tech Ram Air Intake ? I had not seen these before. Did you add that at the same time as the AFE CAI?
Brian

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Agreed. In order to get the same options as a Ranger Lariat with the 501A, you're into a F150 Lariat that is around 60k. Granted you have more shoulder room and more rear legroom, but for the day to day use, that's all you're getting. And then your $60,000 truck sits in the driveway and gets banged up in parking lots because it doesn't fit anywhere. I'm not a contractor or rancher and don't pull a small house or tuna boat so there's no way for me to logically justify the F150 for the cost difference.
For sure.

Was talking to the guy at the bodyshop scheduling my spray in liner about it.

When I was talking about the size being perfect for me, unlike midsizes of the past he responded with "Yeah, they're like a 3/8 ton." I laughed and told him that full size trucks sizes are a holdover from less capable days, and the Ranger is actually a 3/4 ton truck.

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
When I did my comparison shopping my list showed that the 2019 Ranger Lariat offered:

- 6 tie down brackets in bed
- lighted gear selector indicator
- engine cover
- pen holder for center console
- eco boost emblem
- folding rear headrest

And the Tacoma TRD Pro provided:

- somewhat sluggish engine performance
- gear hunting going up mountain inclines
- rear drum brakes
- uncomfortable seating position
- higher price than Ranger
- mpg numbers lagging

Can't explain why I'm driving the Ranger
Very true, several guys at work have tacoma's and they complain all the time about mileage that was on par with my 2010 F-150 supercrew with a 5.4. They can't believe when i tell them my lifetime average with the Ranger is over 22 MPG.
Oh and they also complain about what a dog it is for power.
Brian

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
How do you like your Velossa Tech Ram Air Intake ? I had not seen these before. Did you add that at the same time as the AFE CAI?
Brian
Oh hi. I got the Velossa Tech a few months before the AfE was available.

The VT has more visual appeal if you're into that, the AfE looks like a practical design that makes one wonder why Ford restricted the same space. I haven't seen any benefits to the AfE part after installing it behind the Big Mouth. The VT accessory has given my highway MPG's a boost - the equivalent of two extra gallons of gas per tank.

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Oh hi. I got the Velossa Tech a few months before the AfE was available.

The VT has more visual appeal if you're into that, the AfE looks like a practical design that makes one wonder why Ford restricted the same space. I haven't seen any benefits to the AfE part after installing it behind the Big Mouth. The VT accessory has given my highway MPG's a boost - the equivalent of two extra gallons of gas per tank.
Thank you, what made you go with the AFE CAI verses the others on the market?
I am leaning towards the K&N based on price and documented performance. I wish that Steeda would jump in as I have had their CAI on both my 2010 Fusion sport and my 2017 fusion sport as well as my 2013 Focus ST and their products were great for both performance difference and added mileage.
Brian
Sponsored