What octane fuel/petrol do you use?

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Those who say i dont need that much performance are probably looking at it like a number. Instead of doing that look at it as the amount of efficiency that the truck has. Even without a tune the overall efficiency will go up with premium fuel.
Everything I've read here is that people pick up 1-2 mpgs MAYBE. It does not make sense to pay 50-80 cents more a gallon to get 1-2mpg more.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Those who say i dont need that much performance are probably looking at it like a number. Instead of doing that look at it as the amount of efficiency that the truck has. Even without a tune the overall efficiency will go up with premium fuel.
what I find interesting is that I've seen a couple of posts from owners in high altitude states running 85 octane, despite the owner's manual stating anything less than 87 can cause engine damage. So like a lot of posts on various topics a wide range of preferences - anything from 85 to 93 octane. I do know a guy who trashed his super charged buick (piston exploded)using 85 octane - he's over the pass and down the road from you in Monte Vista and then a couple of Saab owners who suffered the same fate.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
mlarma

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
It's shot up .50/gal since Jan 20th here! :mad::curse:
Having gone through the period where gas was north of $4 a gallon while driving a 2007 Expedition EL (now called Max), it’s gonna take gas getting a lot higher for me to stop running 93 in my Ranger with the MPG I’m getting.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Having gone through the period where gas was north of $4 a gallon while driving a 2007 Expedition EL (now called Max), it’s gonna take gas getting a lot higher for me to stop running 93 in my Ranger with the MPG I’m getting.
What increase are you seeing from 87 to 93?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I remember that all to well. At this rate it should be here by July 4th.

OP
OP
mlarma

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
What increase are you seeing from 87 to 93?
Just checked GasBuddy for the BP station I go to. $2.35 for 87, $2.65 for 89 and $2.95 for 93. MPG increase is maybe 1-2 but it is definitely snappier in terms of performance. But anyway.... I don’t know what my MPG is right now. Lol.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
what I find interesting is that I've seen a couple of posts from owners in high altitude states running 85 octane, despite the owner's manual stating anything less than 87 can cause engine damage. So like a lot of posts on various topics a wide range of preferences - anything from 85 to 93 octane. I do know a guy who trashed his super charged buick (piston exploded)using 85 octane - he's over the pass and down the road from you in Monte Vista and then a couple of Saab owners who suffered the same fate.
You are not wrong about Colorado and other states run E85 octane for the regular. By myself stupid but apparently the reason for it is 4 old carbureted Vehicles when they're in the High Altitude. Others seem to think that it's okay to run in fuel injection but it's not since they State 87 minimum. With our trucks it does State 87 minimum but for better performance and towing to use 91 and higher. Originally I was running 87 until I made the switch just see and I was able to see an overall performance difference with truck what's the fuel mileage increase. I myself found it to be well worth it.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Everything I've read here is that people pick up 1-2 mpgs MAYBE. It does not make sense to pay 50-80 cents more a gallon to get 1-2mpg more.
You say maybe on the fuel increase and I can tell you it is true. I originally was running 87 in my Ranger until I made the switch to 91 which is all we have available for a maximum here in Colorado and I saw about 2 mile per gallon increase on my truck. I will also state that my driving Habits Stay the same. Now you might ask what else did I do to possibly help the fuel mileage out? I also installed a $600 June because why not and that helped us well. There's all sorts of different factors that will make a difference for our trucks.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I run 91 octane BP or Kwik Trip E-zero in my 2009 Mariner with the neck-snapping Vulcan pushrod 3.0L V6. and in my 2017 Suzuki DL650. I've run 91 in the D'Elle since new and in the Merc for about a year, both are 87 oct. capable. The Merc is getting driven a lot less during Covid and I don't want to run alcohol fuel in it anymore. I'd like to run it over 200,000mi, 118M on it now.The D'Elle does seem to run nicer measured with my unscientific butt-o-meter, and the Escape is getting traded in when my 2021 Ranger arrives, so 87 octane E-10 is good to go. 91 oct is ~70-75¢ higher than 87 around here but for me it's not a question of economics, I've filled the Merc I think twice since Christmas and the bike gets 58-60+mpg

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
You say maybe on the fuel increase and I can tell you it is true. I originally was running 87 in my Ranger until I made the switch to 91 which is all we have available for a maximum here in Colorado and I saw about 2 mile per gallon increase on my truck. I will also state that my driving Habits Stay the same. Now you might ask what else did I do to possibly help the fuel mileage out? I also installed a $600 June because why not and that helped us well. There's all sorts of different factors that will make a difference for our trucks.
No offense intended but a 10% increase in mileage does not make economic sense for 30% to 40% increase in cost for some of us.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
No offense intended but a 10% increase in mileage does not make economic sense for 30% to 40% increase in cost for some of us.
You're right it would be dumb to purchase a tune for the sole purpose of gaining a couple extra mpg. It just happens to be an added bonus. Kind of like getting a damper and reaping those extra hp/tq gains. ?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Chevron Plus 89

pdbwest

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
93 on mine until gas prices go through the roof again. That looks like its already started :explode:
Cost me $112 (CAD) today to fill with 94 octane here in Vancouver today...don't think I can keep that up? maybe a little lighter on the throttle!??
Sponsored