Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
You're right, not 'needed' is key. The bean counters were the driving factor here.

The truck will of course not fail as delivered, but I'm pretty sure the technical consensus is that the pollution control system re-introduces crud from the engine back into it (as PCV systems have done since inception) and rather than defeat them as enthusiasts did in the past the catch keeps more of it out.

This is as on point as anything said in this thread so far.
Sponsored

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I'm seeing some things that really interest me about this catch can debate. Octane of fuel used, outside air temp, and how heavy your foot is seem to be directly correlated to what you will catch in that can. It has definitely been changing with each dump. When/if I get some kind of handle on this I'll post some results/findings.

Justlooking

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 1500 AT4 6.2L
Occupation
Retired
You're right, not 'needed' is key. The bean counters were the driving factor here.

The truck will of course not fail as delivered, but I'm pretty sure the technical consensus is that the pollution control system re-introduces crud from the engine back into it (as PCV systems have done since inception) and rather than defeat them as enthusiasts did in the past the catch keeps more of it out.
As I’ve thoght about how a catch can integrates in with the system I can see where there could be issues with a can increasing back pressure if not designed exactly correct for a given engine. Not sure what all of the consequences might be? If the crank case is not properly vented oil could leak from everywhere? (I had that happen once with a faulty PCV valve). I suppose it could also create more blow by and force fuel into the oil? At any rate it seems the can would need to ensure no change in system pressure?

richmondjd11

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Military
This was the amount of oil pulled out after the first 1000 miles after installing a oil catch can. Standard size solo cup for reference. Catch can was roughly half full.

20201205_122306.jpg

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
This was the amount of oil pulled out after the first 1000 miles after installing a oil catch can. Standard size solo cup for reference. Catch can was roughly half full.

What brand of can - and single or dual ?

richmondjd11

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Military
This was the mishimoto catch can kit. Just a single catch can, not a dual. Pretty good kit and straight forward install.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks, I'd like to get a dual setup like the UPR but find it a tad pricey ($269) , a gent posted on here that he may make one from components so I'm in a wait in see mode, I think having one is beneficial but I'm not thrilled about the cost of the better ones.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
There's a guy on YouTube named Scotty Kilmer who does a pretty funny mechanic's take on cars in general. He has one where he advocates for catch cans and another where he bad-mouths people who buy our Rangers because he doesn't think the engines will hold up. And another where he points out Ford trucks are a safe bet because Ford's been making them so long and they are popular.

As far as the cost goes getting the intake blasted out is currently about $1200 if you want it done. Part of the attraction of a catch can is to hopefully put that off for however long you own the truck.

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
thanks, I'd like to get a dual setup like the UPR but find it a tad pricey ($269) , a gent posted on here that he may make one from components so I'm in a wait in see mode, I think having one is beneficial but I'm not thrilled about the cost of the better ones.
Probably cheap compared to the "triple" setup coming out in the spring! ;)

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Well I hit one year with my ranger and 27,500 miles. I left the catch can alone for roughly 2,000 miles and what I found today in the catch can makes it all the worth it.
I added a nozzle to the end of mine for easier clean out. The nozzle of course creates a low point so I caught most of the carbon in there. That carbon came out as a massive chunk.
$280 worth every penny

926D0229-CF93-437A-9713-EE2505DED45B.jpeg

8EE07E5B-5401-4F57-92A5-21AFC3C097FC.jpeg

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the amount that I’ve pulled out of the can over the course of one year

image.jpg

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would highly recommend taking the can apart after this many miles and give it a good cleaning. Quite a lot of gunk was stuck to the baffling plate

image.jpg

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want a can th
are you by chance referring to the special order "collectors" edition, a gold plated can which includes unbreakable bio hazard bottles for gunk storage. :shock:

Mr.Scary

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger sport 4x4
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I had a dual set up on my 2018 focus st. Tuned up with everything and high boost. And on the air intake side I did not catch a thing was on there for a year. And the can was as clean as the day it came out of the package

but on the PCV side from crank case to intake manifold total difference caught all kinds of oil and gunk.

Last edited:

Mr.Scary

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger sport 4x4
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Yes that is correct. PCV has fuel and oil going through it so it can do both!

Thank you!
I had the radium baffle plate and dual catch can system on my 2018 focus st and still fought all kinds oil and fuel vapour in the can. The baffle plate didn’t help much
Sponsored