First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
The metal prongs will keep it from coming out if you don't unclip the panel and compress them first
That's what I thought - but in the video I didn't do anything underneath other than simply push up while also pulling up from the other side. No releasing clips or compressing prongs.
Sponsored

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
That's what I thought - but in the video I didn't do anything underneath other than simply push up while also pulling up from the other side. No releasing clips or compressing prongs.
I didn't watch your video until now! That would make life much easier. I'll give it a try later since I plan to disassemble the switch and put the black trim on. Trying to get the flack black switch surround back on

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
I didn't watch your video until now! That would make life much easier. I'll give it a try later since I plan to disassemble the switch and put the black trim on. Trying to get the flack black switch surround back on
I just tried pulling from the top only - absolutely do not do this! haha.. the twistable part of the knob just comes off as well as the circle trim piece below it, leaving other parts behind. Nothing broke, fortunately.

1600806616447.png

However I did re-confirm that you can push out the whole thing upwards and out without compressing the prongs. Although it's a little easier if you can feel for them and compress them.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
In order to clip the parts above back together I had to undo the 2 screws in the bottom of the knob, clip the parts together, and then reassemble. Out of curiosity I took apart both the original knob and the new knob.. This was also a chance for me to grab the darker ring from the old knob which I prefer to the silver ring on the new knob..

Spot the differences:

1600807719617.png

Interestingly the center button on the old knob does depress and both PCBs look the same, including the contacts for the center button. The silicone membrane on the old knob is simply missing the black contact points and are instead filled in.

I tried putting the silicone membrane from the new knob into the old knob and plugged it into the truck, but sadly, it did not work. I was excited that I may have found a way to get TM for free by simply modifying the non-TM membrane. Ah well.

Upon closer inspection the non-TM PCB has some different numbers on it.. despite having the same components and overall part number.

Last edited:

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
For those of you without trim removal tools.. this might help you:

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4 (Iconic Silver)
Dang. I didnt rely care about the little xl screen, but now I do. This one isn't really doable for me.
20200915_035728.jpg

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
I guess i wasn't aware they made the fx4 in an xl flavor
There are some photos of it working on the XL screen earlier in the thread :)

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Not gonna lie...

...I skipped some pages
I don't blame you. I wish most of these threads had an updated first-post or wiki or something.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Can anyone confirm this for me. I thought before the TM upgrade that if auto stop/start was disabled by button an icon popped up in the bottom right of the display say it was off. I don't see that icon when the vehicle is in drive anymore. The only time it's on is when the truck is in park.

PXL_20200919_160133375~2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: