RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
That was pretty interesting. I thought it was interesting that they put the badging on (the XL/XLT/Lariat badge) on the fender before putting the fender on. Those big welding robots were pretty cool too.

Thanks for posting it.

djg1958

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lincoln MKX
That was pretty interesting. I thought it was interesting that they put the badging on (the XL/XLT/Lariat badge) on the fender before putting the fender on. Those big welding robots were pretty cool too.

Thanks for posting it.
I believe that the fenders are already on. I think what you are seeing is plastic protective body cladding.

OP
OP

ajvester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
I believe that the fenders are already on. I think what you are seeing is plastic protective body cladding.
Yes, that is a fender protector to prevent panel/paint damage on the line.

One of the interesting parts for me was the inspection robots at final line. If you skip to 1:55, you can see what looks like a machine vision system inspecting the A-Pillar and cab corners. I worked in production control for an auto manufacturer 15 years ago and our systems were nowhere near that advanced. Automated inspection has come a long way.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yes, that was cool. Thanks for posting!

jcardona1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition / '04 Nissan Frontier / '96 Toyota Land Cruiser
Fascinating stuff. Amazing how the human workers barely have to lift a finger.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that is a fender protector to prevent panel/paint damage on the line.

One of the interesting parts for me was the inspection robots at final line. If you skip to 1:55, you can see what looks like a machine vision system inspecting the A-Pillar and cab corners. I worked in production control for an auto manufacturer 15 years ago and our systems were nowhere near that advanced. Automated inspection has come a long way.
I figured that is what those were - pretty neat to see all the automation and robotics in action.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
The frame turnover looks to be a constraint. When my dad worked at GM Arlington, frame turnover was done on the fly via rotisserie while in motion from upper level to lower level. Also, body marriage is not as sophisticated at GM's procedure.

But cool nonetheless !

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Cool, now we need an enhance button like they have on CSI so we can match some of the VINs to members.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Fascinating stuff. Amazing how the human workers barely have to lift a finger.
Many of those jobs are much harder than they look. VATs (Vehicle Assembly Technicians) are good at what they do and make them look easy. Yes they have a lot of hoists and balanced load assist devices to help them do their jobs and reduce injures but they still require skill and finesse. Plus, even an easy job done 70 times per hour 10 hours a day is pretty stressful on the human body. That's one reason some jobs are automated using robots and other automation. Often Dirty, Dull, Difficult and Dangerous (the 4 Ds) jobs are prime candidates for robots to do. But having said that, humans are still a major part of the process. For example the Super Duty plant in Kentucky employs about 8500 people and about 1600 robots.
Also modern robots even the huge ones lifting entire bodies are so precise and repeatable that they can be used for intricate work like you see here.
That is a good look inside a modern auto assembly plant. Most auto companies use the same tooling manufactures to build their plant equipment so what you see here is pretty similar to any Ford, GM, FCA, Tesla etc. plant.

These plants are truly engineering marvels.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
I wish that video was 30 minutes in length, showing the entire process - stamping, painting, and more details in assembly. Obviously, intrigued and enjoyed it.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I wish that video was 30 minutes in length, showing the entire process - stamping, painting, and more details in assembly. Obviously, intrigued and enjoyed it.
Here is a video of the Ford Expedition assembly. It is just some short clips but gives you a little more of the processes in an assembly plant.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a video of the Ford Expedition assembly. It is just some short clips but gives you a little more of the processes in an assembly plant.

My favorite part is at the 128 mark where the hoist operator is decking a cab but is looking at the monitors and not the hoist she is controlling. Also of note is the green colored robot which is a "collaborative" robot and is working right with humans without cages or guarding. That's fairly new technology.

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
Hmmmmmm, I wish that any physical job I've ever had would allow me to wear sweatpants. Might as well be pajamas.

technological_marvel

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Ranger LARIAT FX4
Hi all, I found this the other day and thought it was pretty cool to see what goes into the assembly process. I'm not sure if this has been shared but I didn't see anything in the quick search I ran before posting.

edit: your truck could be in this video! pretty neat.
Sponsored