Free Sync 3 Navigation Map Updates (NA 1 18)

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hold down the seek forward buttons on the wheel and the IP for 10 seconds. Make sure the radio is on prior. You’ll end the speaker walk around and you’ll be in the diag menu. Select the APIM item then the IVSU Versions.
Thank you for all your help with this.
I have succeeded in getting the map update installed and have verified via a known missing POI from the original version to it being there. The voice recognition returned after accessing the Diagnostic menu and poking around a bit. I made no changes in that menu but when I exited, the voice command was functioning.
I also verified that the Speed Limit ID part still is not accurate. I understand that while the camera sees the speed limit signs, it's the map that knows the speed limit on said sign. Any ideas?
Sponsored

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Yes, I tried the master reset and it's still not showing up in the IVSU menu.

I wonder if I should try reverting back to 118 (I have those files saved if that is even possible). Or will the voice commands get loaded when I update to 3.4?
3.4 wouldn't do anything as it won't touch those particular files. Then again, I've never heard of this case of an install showing complete, but the image not appearing to be there either. You can try rolling back to 18 maps to see if that recovers it.

Thank you for all your help with this.
I have succeeded in getting the map update installed and have verified via a known missing POI from the original version to it being there. The voice recognition returned after accessing the Diagnostic menu and poking around a bit. I made no changes in that menu but when I exited, the voice command was functioning.
I also verified that the Speed Limit ID part still is not accurate. I understand that while the camera sees the speed limit signs, it's the map that knows the speed limit on said sign. Any ideas?
Good to hear. Not sure how the camera item works to be honest. Haven't been in a vehicle with it to try out. The map data will have speed limit info where it was in HERE's data at the time.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same problem. It's recognizes the USB Drive asks if I want to update, etc then there is a brief notice (1-2 seconds) that it's 'Installing System Update' then that disappears and nothing apparently happens. I see no indications that anything is happening (tho I have not waited one hour to find out). No restarts in 25-30 minutes before I aborted the "loading".

Is there some indication that it's actually loading software? Or are we mushrooms in the dark?

As far as I can tell my USB Flash file structure conforms to the requirements and my license file appears to be fine. I used this flash drive to load 118 (my truck came with 117) so I can rule that out.
No, haven't figured it out and don't figure I'll waste any more time on it! When I use the Map I switch to CarPlay and use the Google Maps off my iPhone. Don't need the map data on my Sync system.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
No, haven't figured it out and don't figure I'll waste any more time on it! When I use the Map I switch to CarPlay and use the Google Maps off my iPhone. Don't need the map data on my Sync system.
Tried Waze? Can use it with CarPlay. Been using it for several years before I got my Ranger. I like it a lot.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Loading new Maps does not seem as robust as it could be (should be). Some folks getting voice commands others not. My system has responded several different ways which is probably indicative of the system not starting out (or restarting out) from point "A" consistently. I'm going to perform a master reset before I attempt my next update.

Rant
Ford, please give us a way to save Favorites and Previous Destinations !!
/rant

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Loading new Maps does not seem as robust as it could be (should be). Some folks getting voice commands others not. My system has responded several different ways which is probably indicative of the system not starting out (or restarting out) from point "A" consistently. I'm going to perform a master reset before I attempt my next update.

Rant
Ford, please give us a way to save Favorites and Previous Destinations !!
/rant
you know...being old and near sighted and remembering having to try to look at paper maps, I both appreciate that what it could be isn't what it ought to be and am glad I don't have to try to keep those f'ers in order...I guess you have to be old to appreciate it for what it is...and I use Waze anyway :)

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
3.4 wouldn't do anything as it won't touch those particular files. Then again, I've never heard of this case of an install showing complete, but the image not appearing to be there either. You can try rolling back to 18 maps to see if that recovers it.

Good to hear. Not sure how the camera item works to be honest. Haven't been in a vehicle with it to try out. The map data will have speed limit info where it was in HERE's data at the time.
I am a curious person and I assume that camera is used to recognize speed signs as speed changes in Navigation system is noted just as I pass a speed limit sign. It does not recognize the numbers because some signs are incorrect. I’ve also noticed some signs are not seen.

Dan Keil

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Walmart Associate
Hey Guys,

While looking at the 'about sync' page in my Ranger, I noticed I was on map version 'NA117' and I know a 'NA118' is available. A quick search for 'sync map update' brought me to an official Ford Navigation Map update page here https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home. I put in my Ranger's VIN and Sync ESN and voila - a free map update is available!

You can find your Sync ESN at the bottom of the 'About Sync' page:

esn-location.png

Place your order for the 'free download' and grab a 32gb (USB 3.0 fast read/write preferably) thumb drive and format it exFAT. Follow the instructions to create your own update thumb drive and about an hour later you'll be on NA 1 18! Install speed depends on the speeds of the thumb drive so if you have a slow one be prepared to take a drive while this is installing.

The root of your thumb drive should look like this:
qTPcV7r.png

And the SyncMyRide folder should look like this:
8oeNemp.png

Update warning 1:
zVEve91.jpg

Update warning 2:
4Hj4Ni6.jpg

Here's my before:
uQpIDj7.jpg

And after:
S3zu6Hd.jpg

Good luck and happy updating!

EDIT: This will also work for any other 2018 and newer Fords that are still on '17 maps. Doing the wife's '18 Edge next!
I cannot get the auto update to get to the blue color. It is white so It is not available to open
Trying to upload it again and extract the files

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I cannot get the auto update to get to the blue color. It is white so It is not available to open
Trying to upload it again and extract the files
Updated mine yesterday. Screens were white as shown above.

Perhaps his blue screens are with Night mode ?

Dan Keil

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Walmart Associate
Forget calling Ford. I spent an hour and a half getting the runaround. I was told to call this number then another and another. No one had an answer for me. My download doesn't show an active license.

Dan Keil

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Walmart Associate

Those were on my thumb drive. My truck will not respond to my thumb drive, so something is not active

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
you know...being old and near sighted and remembering having to try to look at paper maps, I both appreciate that what it could be isn't what it ought to be and am glad I don't have to try to keep those f'ers in order...I guess you have to be old to appreciate it for what it is...and I use Waze anyway :)
Yep, I remember paper maps. I still prefer them in some cases. But I paid for the Nav system in my Ranger with the intention of, you know, actually using it. Yes, there are other options like Waze, or Apple Maps, or Google Maps but all those rely on downloading map data whereas the GPS needs no such download to work. And I have no real complaints on the usability of the Ford Nav system but Ford needs to work on improving the robustness of updating maps and it would be nice if they had an option to save and restore favorites and previous destinations (a Master Reset erases those waypoints).

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I remember paper maps. I still prefer them in some cases. But I paid for the Nav system in my Ranger with the intention of, you know, actually using it. Yes, there are other options like Waze, or Apple Maps, or Google Maps but all those rely on downloading map data whereas the GPS needs no such download to work. And I have no real complaints on the usability of the Ford Nav system but Ford needs to work on improving the robustness of updating maps and it would be nice if they had an option to save and restore favorites and previous destinations (a Master Reset erases those waypoints).
I have been using Waze for so long all of my destinations are available from my phone to the app in CarPlay and I just like the layout better and of course the warnings for police, stalled cars, construction and other delays, etc. , so resets on the Ford Nav aren't an issue. It would be hard to imagine going back to no Nav at all :)

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Mine were white and I'm pretty sure I never saw the first one and eve n though I got a screen saying the update was successful the Version still shows 3.3...I repeat my (personal) initial assessment - needlessly complex. Don't use or care about voice, use Waze for nav so may not try again.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Have anyone ever order $40 for USB stick and upload it? Any issue? I have tried to upload with my personal USB stick and failed 5 times with a variety of methods. A common error is the map license file is missing. Frustrated. So, I end up ordering the Ford USB stick. It should arrive sometime next week or so.
Sponsored