Ranger Q2 2020 Sales Grabs Firm Hold of 2nd Place in Midsize Segment

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
You'll note I never said anything about towing. Using the age logic, a truck from the 1950's isn't a truck either because they can't two 10,000 pounds either. That's honestly an ignorant analogy that makes no sense at all.

The Ridgeline is a Ute...same as the iterations of the exact same nature sold elsewhere in the world and classified appropriately as such. Since it's the topic, a 2011 Ranger still had body-on-frame construction, a spare tire that didn't require you to empty the bed in order to gain access to it (which for anyone that's actually hauling/towing with the vehicle is a profoundly stupid design flaw) and a real 4WD system available, not just an AWD system which IS NOT the same thing. Hell, there's no such thing as a RWD Ridgeline in the first place.

I'm not saying it's not a perfectly fine vehicle for people that are looking for a car with a large bed that rides unlike a real pickup so they can pickup larger things from Home Depot from time to time. But calling it a pickup truck is merely a marketing campaigning and likely some lobbying of government agencies that succeeded in convincing Americans that it isn't Ute...which it is.
Sponsored

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
You'll note I never said anything about towing. Using the age logic, a truck from the 1950's isn't a truck either because they can't two 10,000 pounds either. That's honestly an ignorant analogy that makes no sense at all.

The Ridgeline is a Ute...same as the iterations of the exact same nature sold elsewhere in the world and classified appropriately as such. Since it's the topic, a 2011 Ranger still had body-on-frame construction, a spare tire that didn't require you to empty the bed in order to gain access to it (which for anyone that's actually hauling/towing with the vehicle is a profoundly stupid design flaw) and a real 4WD system available, not just an AWD system which IS NOT the same thing. Hell, there's no such thing as a RWD Ridgeline in the first place.

I'm not saying it's not a perfectly fine vehicle for people that are looking for a car with a large bed that rides unlike a real pickup so they can pickup larger things from Home Depot from time to time. But calling it a pickup truck is merely a marketing campaigning and likely some lobbying of government agencies that succeeded in convincing Americans that it isn't Ute...which it is.
You may not have made the argument, but I've seen that argument made about the Ridgeline, so I was heading it off at the pass, so to speak.

What makes a pickup truck? An open bed. Sources have been referenced for that statement.

The various aspects of the way it's built will determine how heavy duty it is. Why do the finer details of its construction matter to you?

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
You may not have made the argument, but I've seen that argument made about the Ridgeline, so I was heading it off at the pass, so to speak.

What makes a pickup truck? An open bed. Sources have been referenced for that statement.

The various aspects of the way it's built will determine how heavy duty it is. Why do the finer details of its construction matter to you?
What makes a pickup truck??

You have to start with a truck.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
So two wheel drive pickups are also not trucks because they lack real 4wd. I need to start taking notes, this is all so much more complicated than just looking to see if there's an open bed. But in the good news department my minivan might be a truck, since it has a spare underneath! If only there were a simple and obvious way to classify these things rather than searching for arbitrary distinctions based on what the particular object of disdain has or lacks.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
In all honesty, the Ridgeline is the perfect truck for a LOT of truck buyers.

Well suited to Home Depot trips, hauling kayaks, pulling a small camper, and doing the daily grind in comfort.

MANY people who buy a truck never use it as a truck. They use if for personal transportation and like the commanding view of the road and the "truckiness" of it.

My buddy has had 2 Titans and has never towed anything nor filled the bed with anything. He just likes driving them. He never has but if the need arises he knows he could.

The Ridgeline is stuck with being what a lot of people really NEED but not what a lot of people really WANT.

All that said, I don't want one either. Didn't even consider it.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In all honesty, the Ridgeline is the perfect truck for a LOT of truck buyers.

Well suited to Home Depot trips, hauling kayaks, pulling a small camper, and doing the daily grind in comfort.

MANY people who buy a truck never use it as a truck. They use if for personal transportation and like the commanding view of the road and the "truckiness" of it.

My buddy has had 2 Titans and has never towed anything nor filled the bed with anything. He just likes driving them. He never has but if the need arises he knows he could.
But as pointed out before, the ridgeline isn't objectively bad at that. It can tow and haul more than some trucks and less than some other trucks.

The Ridgeline is stuck with being what a lot of people really NEED but not what a lot of people really WANT.

All that said, I don't want one either. Didn't even consider it.
This is the heart of it--like having the right shoes, the ridgeline vs some other truck is a fashion statement.

The one thing the ridgeline really can't do as well as a traditional truck is be rebuilt into something suitable for heavy off-road use. If that's your criteria than by all means don't get a ridgeline--but that's because it's bad at being an ORV, not because it's bad at being a truck. Sadly for honda, the fashion of the day is to appear to be ready to drive offroad in your truck even if that will never happen. It's hard to make that lifestyle statement in a vehicle obviously designed to truck on-road rather than off-road.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm losing track here with this is a truck vs. not a truck talk. Are these cars or trucks? Inquiring minds want to know . ?

cartruck1.jpg

cartruck2.jpg

Note, the last one has a spare in the bed but it has a sliding rear window. So now I'm totally confused. ;)

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
8,794 people in Q2 made a BIG MISTAKE

?
Actually the Frontier is a nice truck, and is arguably Nissan's last somewhat reliable vehicle. The engine is tried and tested, and while its really outdated, they have worked out most of the major kinks. It is also going to be the cheapest V6 you will find in the mid size segment. I would prob put the V6 engine ahead of the Ecoboost in terms of longevity.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually the Frontier is a nice truck, and is arguably Nissan's last somewhat reliable vehicle. The engine is tried and tested, and while its really outdated, they have worked out most of the major kinks. It is also going to be the cheapest V6 you will find in the mid size segment. I would prob put the V6 engine ahead of the Ecoboost in terms of longevity.
an alternate plan if I'd hated the ranger was a frontier and a lot of mods, but nissan doesn't seem to even care whether they sell them--trying to find one to look at that wasn't a stripped work truck didn't happen before I bought the ranger

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
I mean it’s better than a Ridgeline but that ain’t saying much.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I'm losing track here with this is a truck vs. not a truck talk. Are these cars or trucks? Inquiring minds want to know . ?

cartruck1.jpg

cartruck2.jpg

Note, the last one has a spare in the bed but it has a sliding rear window. So now I'm totally confused. ;)
Actually this shows having a bed does not make it a truck.

Take a sawzall to a minivan. Still a minivan. Just because it now has "bed: does no magically transform it from a minivan.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist

Take a sawzall to a minivan. Still a minivan. Just because it now has "bed: does no magically transform it from a minivan.
I think I like this truck!

WP_20160310_13_18_42_Pro.jpg

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
THIS company does a lot of pickup conversions.

Some look pretty nice, some not so much.

I kinda like the Dodge Charger-El Camino rig.

Find a Hemi powered AWD ex-police car for a good price and this could be fun.

Smyth-Charger-B2.jpg

They are about to release a Grand Cherokee kit which I don't think is quite as successful a transformation.

smyth-jeep-ute.jpg

But at least with the Grand Cherokee, if you started with a V8 AWD version you would have a 7000lb tow rating.

Plus with as well as the 4.7 HO moves the stock GC, it would be a genuine hoot with that much weight removed.

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
The term "truck "used to be simply defined as a vehicle whose primary purpose is to carry cargo in a containment, open or enclosed, and separated from the operator by a bulkhead.

The definition got twisted, because the definition of "passenger vehicle" states that a PV is a vehicle designed to carry up to ten people (more than ten is a "bus") which may or may not be built on a truck frame. This definition got lobbied, schmoozed, twisted folded spindled and mutilated by the industry lobbyists so that today, a freakin' EcoSport or Escape is a "truck" for EPA purposes, and is subject to less restrictive emissions and economy standards than those imposed on "automobiles." States have their own definitions used for licensing purposes.
Over on the Escape forum some posters like to refer to their Escapes as trucks. :facepalm:
Subaru imported the BRAT, or "Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transporter" which were "automobiles" because, although they has the bulkhead, they had seating for four passengers (two in the front, two in the box, er uh, open seating area). and by Subies declaration was built on an automobile platform. Thus, they were able to avoid the imported truck tariff.
In Wisconsin, and I think other states as well, El Caminos, Rancheros, Scamps, Rampages, Brats were/are registered both ways.
Quiz time: car, or truck? both factory built on a Falcon chassis;
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg

1963 FORD ECONOLINE _____________ 1963 FORD RANCHERO

Last edited:

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist

Screenshot_20200708-134140_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Sponsored