Tire Chains

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
Per the Owner's Manual (pg 286) it states that tire chains can only be used on the rear axle (this is in the manual of most trucks nowadays). After seeing the truck, do you guys think it will be possible to use chains on the front tires if necessary?

While hunting in deep snow it is really common to chain up our tires and the option to do all four is really nice to have. Thanks.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Per the Owner's Manual (pg 286) it states that tire chains can only be used on the rear axle (this is in the manual of most trucks nowadays). After seeing the truck, do you guys think it will be possible to use chains on the front tires if necessary?

While hunting in deep snow it is really common to chain up our tires and the option to do all four is really nice to have. Thanks.
Not to derail your thread, but that is interesting. When I use chains on my current truck I typically put them on the front. Usually I don't need chains for traction to get started (4WD takes care of that), but I need traction to STOP (usually ice). Chains on the front are much more effective at stopping. I'm wondering why they don't want chains on the front tires? Anyone know?

We had a big snow here several years ago and some people were running chains on all 4 wheels. I got along fine with just chains on the front with 4WD.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The best place to put chains in deep snow is in the front. Without seeing the truck first hand it doesn't look like the fender is the problem. Maybe it limits the turn radius somehow?

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
I wonder if it messes with any of the sensors for all the random driver assist junk that all cars have now.

Nate4x4

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500 NE
Occupation
Vehicle Reader
After seeing the truck, do you guys think it will be possible to use chains on the front tires if necessary?
This is a question you should ask the Ford dealer. Otherwise you're going to want to live with 4WD for the time being.
I wonder if it messes with any of the sensors for all the random driver assist junk that all cars have now.
I don't think so, but there's a possibility.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
The only reason I can think of is wheel well clearance in a full locked turn. For sedans and SUV's that are FWD, that is the only place you can use chains and gain any benefit. For those who have been to a drive and smile event, maybe they can add some info about how tight the Ranger turns and whether they noticed on a parked truck how much clearance there was to the inside of the wheel well.

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
There always seems to be clearance issues in the front end of trucks with chains, especially at full turn and with weight on the front shocks.

Hopefully they give us the option to put chains on the front in an emergency without tearing up brake lines, fenders, and sensors.

To the post above about chains being best on front, I totally agree but sometimes it's not worth the risk to me with the clearance issues. The only time I truly prefer chains on the rear tires is in poor traction going down the mountain. You don't want your front end to stop and your back end to whip around on you.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The only reason I can think of is wheel well clearance in a full locked turn. For sedans and SUV's that are FWD, that is the only place you can use chains and gain any benefit. For those who have been to a drive and smile event, maybe they can add some info about how tight the Ranger turns and whether they noticed on a parked truck how much clearance there was to the inside of the wheel well.
That's what I was thinking as well. In this instance just realize you can't make the same turn radius. My Jeep tires are less than an inch from the leaf springs with a hard turn and without chains. If I need chains I put them on and just don't crank the steering wheel to the stops.

Tom Donaldson

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger extra cab
The lack of space for the chains on the front is between the sidewall of the tire and the top control arm and spindle. A different offset wheel or thinner tire might give you room.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Was happy to not need chains for the front they were 80$ a piece and rated to 30mph. 2wd womp womp

unnamed.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Was happy to not need chains for the front they were 80$ a piece and rated to 30mph. 2wd womp womp

unnamed.jpg
I don't believe chains will fit on the front - there is not enough clearance on the backside.

RangerCoby

First Name
Coby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat FX4
The lack of space for the chains on the front is between the sidewall of the tire and the top control arm and spindle. A different offset wheel or thinner tire might give you room.
This was my initial thought as well.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Probably would be perfectly find on the front if you used the cable ones (they are skinnier and not as good), or if you really needed to chain up, the 2" leveling coils up front would probably make it work just fine.

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
Zero chance of clearing chains in the front of my setup. I was considering stepping down to a 32" tire for dedicated winter tires, but Nokian makes the Hakkapeliitta LT3 in a 285/70R17 and I'm not sure a 32 would clear chains anyway. Plenty of room on the spindle with the 285s and 1.5" spacers, but the spacer takes the room from the rest of the wheel well.

I'd feel confident putting chains on with 3/4" spacers (or wheels with about that offset) and a tire under 31.5-ish. Might need high-clearance crash bars to clear the chains, but they would clear the bodywork and suspension just fine.

IMG_2413.JPG

IMG_2414.JPG

IMG_2415.JPG

IMG_2417.JPG

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
Plenty of room on the spindle with the 285s and 1.5" spacers, but the spacer takes the room from the rest of the wheel well.
Do you have the 1.5" spacers installed in the photos?
If so they're a little tight for space, but the 1" or 3/4" spacers should be adequate to give inside clearance and around the wheel well for chains not to foul.

This may be the most cost effective solution for adding chains to the front.
Sponsored