Tire Chains

Discussion in 'Tires / Wheels' started by uthunter, Dec 2, 2018.

1. uthunter

uthunter Active Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 F-350 SC & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
    Per the Owner's Manual (pg 286) it states that tire chains can only be used on the rear axle (this is in the manual of most trucks nowadays). After seeing the truck, do you guys think it will be possible to use chains on the front tires if necessary?

While hunting in deep snow it is really common to chain up our tires and the option to do all four is really nice to have. Thanks.

2. RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger Active Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle(s):
    2005 Ford Ranger FX4
    Not to derail your thread, but that is interesting. When I use chains on my current truck I typically put them on the front. Usually I don't need chains for traction to get started (4WD takes care of that), but I need traction to STOP (usually ice). Chains on the front are much more effective at stopping. I'm wondering why they don't want chains on the front tires? Anyone know?

We had a big snow here several years ago and some people were running chains on all 4 wheels. I got along fine with just chains on the front with 4WD.

3. Geoff

Geoff Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Fusion [will trade in], 2002 Ranger [sold it when I ordered the '19]
    The best place to put chains in deep snow is in the front. Without seeing the truck first hand it doesn't look like the fender is the problem. Maybe it limits the turn radius somehow?

4. StAugKid

StAugKid Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    I wonder if it messes with any of the sensors for all the random driver assist junk that all cars have now.

5. Nate4x4

Nate4x4 Member

First Name:
    NATE
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Ram 1500 NE
    This is a question you should ask the Ford dealer. Otherwise you're going to want to live with 4WD for the time being.
    I don't think so, but there's a possibility.

6. Pinecrestjim

Pinecrestjim Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    2000 Miata SE, 2004 Deville
    The only reason I can think of is wheel well clearance in a full locked turn. For sedans and SUV's that are FWD, that is the only place you can use chains and gain any benefit. For those who have been to a drive and smile event, maybe they can add some info about how tight the Ranger turns and whether they noticed on a parked truck how much clearance there was to the inside of the wheel well.

Geoff likes this.
  7. uthunter

uthunter Active Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 F-350 SC & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
    There always seems to be clearance issues in the front end of trucks with chains, especially at full turn and with weight on the front shocks.

Hopefully they give us the option to put chains on the front in an emergency without tearing up brake lines, fenders, and sensors.

To the post above about chains being best on front, I totally agree but sometimes it's not worth the risk to me with the clearance issues. The only time I truly prefer chains on the rear tires is in poor traction going down the mountain. You don't want your front end to stop and your back end to whip around on you.

Geoff likes this.
  8. Geoff

Geoff Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Fusion [will trade in], 2002 Ranger [sold it when I ordered the '19]
    That's what I was thinking as well. In this instance just realize you can't make the same turn radius. My Jeep tires are less than an inch from the leaf springs with a hard turn and without chains. If I need chains I put them on and just don't crank the steering wheel to the stops.

Pinecrestjim likes this.