Tire Chains

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
Do you have the 1.5" spacers installed in the photos?
If so they're a little tight for space, but the 1" or 3/4" spacers should be adequate to give inside clearance and around the wheel well for chains not to foul.

This may be the most cost effective solution for adding chains to the front.
I do.
I think a 1" spacer would give the best middle ground between spindle clearance and fender clearance with a 285. A 3/4" spacer would be pretty tight on the spindle with a chain. The best option would be to run something like a 255/80/17 in the winter, just need to find something that narrow and tall.
Sponsored

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi @Trey1940 , from your experience would the FactionFab 1.0" also work, or are the OEM studs too long?
I wouldn't know personally, since I don't have them, but I've seen plenty of folks around here running the 1" spacers with no issue.

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
@Trey1940 I just wondered if the stock stud bolts were flush with the top of your 1.5" Spacers that would mean they would not fit the 1" Spacer and shorter stud bolts would have to be fitted.

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Trey1940 I just wondered if the stock stud bolts were flush with the top of your 1.5" Spacers that would mean they would not fit the 1" Spacer and shorter stud bolts would have to be fitted.
No, they're definitely in there a ways. I think they're close to flush with the 1" spacers.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Actual chains will eventually tear up your truck. A softer material will work. A rope wrapped around the tire in a pinch. Large Zip ties will add traction. A bigger truck if you want to be a snow plow. But I am glad that I am not thinking about snow or mud. I gave away my tire chains. ?

Last edited:

Subduction

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Std. cab, SWB Ranger 2x4, 2.5L, 5-sp; 2014 XV Crosstrek
Occupation
Retired
Over the years on various vehicles, cable "chains" have been good for me. Looking at the inner sidewall clearance of the modern (stock) Rangers--I would not risk it on the front.

Billdub01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
When i bought my ranger back in July they said NO CHAINS! It will f$%k up the computers in the truck. The spider wires, if the manual is saying rear only... probably again has to do with the computer/trail control. The rear is a solid axle while the fronts are independent. Totally different setup as per working with the computer. Ill check with my neighbor hes a tech at GMC. If you all want me to confirm my suspicion its due to the computer and drivetrain setup on the fronts.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
When i bought my ranger back in July they said NO CHAINS! It will f$%k up the computers in the truck. The spider wires, if the manual is saying rear only... probably again has to do with the computer/trail control. The rear is a solid axle while the fronts are independent. Totally different setup as per working with the computer. Ill check with my neighbor hes a tech at GMC. If you all want me to confirm my suspicion its due to the computer and drivetrain setup on the fronts.
I would bet money the reason they say don't do chains on the front is because there isn't enough clearance between the tire and the knuckle. It is pretty tight - probably less than an inch. If you put chains on the front they would hit. Even cable chains don't have enough room.

On my old Ranger I always chained up the front - to give me better traction for stopping. It worked well. If/when I need to chain up this Ranger it will have to be on the rear only.

Billdub01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Ill just ask my neighbor who is a tech or even ask the service writer weve known for 20 yesrs. Rather than guess the reason.... I'd rather have facts rather than guesses as to why no to do something.... screwing up the computer is bad juju. They would have made adjustments to the front if chains/wires were needed. Gotta remember to, this trucks been tried and true overseas for years. Minus the engine trans configuration...

Last edited:

Billdub01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Im going to driving from CA to Oregon through medford. My sons in Oregon... it snows through the pass and where he's at. I'm trying to get prepared in case it shows bad enough to need chaining up. Rather than getting caught with my pants down.

Since the dealer stressed the point of screwing up the computers. I wanna have the right information. Then get the best solution.

Grandpa and my uncle were mechanics by trade... taking care of your vehicle was stressed pretty good.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Ill just ask my neighbor who is a tech or even ask the service writer weve known for 20 yesrs. Rather than guess the reason.... I'd rather have facts
Unless their previous job was with Ford testing chains on the ranger it'll just be another opinion.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Since the dealer stressed the point of screwing up the computers. I wanna have the right information. Then get the best solution.
I don't know what the right answer is on tire chains, but I've seen enough of what dealers have told people about the ranger to be certain that what the dealer said is more likely to be bs than truth.
Sponsored