Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I've never really had a need for Tire Chains so I never learned how to use them. And in Phoenix, I doubt I ever will. But we are on the north side of town and just 20 to 30 minutes north of us it goes from 2,000 ASL to 5,500 ASL and my daughter goes to college an hour north where it does freeze and get snow and ice on occasions.

One of my neighbors sold his truck and gifted to me a set of chains that fit my truck. So I figured I'd put them in the shed an hang on in case I need to go up north for some reason.

Question... Better to put them on the front or back?
Sponsored

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I've never really had a need for Tire Chains so I never learned how to use them. And in Phoenix, I doubt I ever will. But we are on the north side of town and just 20 to 30 minutes north of us it goes from 2,000 ASL to 5,500 ASL and my daughter goes to college an hour north where it does freeze and get snow and ice on occasions.

One of my neighbors sold his truck and gifted to me a set of chains that fit my truck. So I figured I'd put them in the shed an hang on in case I need to go up north for some reason.

Question... Better to put them on the front or back?
What timing! Was just looking at this in another thread. The Ranger's owner's manual states to use chains meeting SAE "S" Class clearance requirements on the rear axle only.

1640879345732.png

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Now I gotta go look and see if they are SAE Class-S.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Now I gotta go look and see if they are SAE Class-S.
I believe it's just for clearance, but I can't imagine there being much of a clearance issue on the rear. The front wheels have a fairly tight gap between the tire and the suspension, though.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
When I was much younger I had chains in my car during the winter.
I've never chained the front of any vehicle, so I don't know how that would work. I never lived in a place where we got that much inclement weather and found it necessary to chain up like that.
I hope never to have to consider chaining anything anymore. Ever.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
When I was much younger I had chains in my car during the winter.
I've never chained the front of any vehicle, so I don't know how that would work. I never lived in a place where we got that much inclement weather and found it necessary to chain up like that.
I hope never to have to consider chaining anything anymore. Ever.
On a 2WD vehicle, you'd always chain up the drive wheels, whether that be the front or rear wheels. If I had to put chains on my old Ranger it was always in 4WD anyway, so I could put them either on the front or the rear. I always found it more useful to have them on the front for braking traction.

We don't get a lot of snow around here and usually I don't need them. Most of the time I've used them is when I've been up in the mountains hiking. I find chains to be a PITA honestly and I try very hard NOT to use them.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If there was no issue with clearance I would say put them on the front. Unfortunately due to clearance I can only put chains in the rear. With that said if I didnt have to worry about rubbing I would use Auto Socks!! Before using the chains I would suggest getting two sand bags and put them in the bed. It really helps with traction for snow.
Sponsored