Is it a mistake to not take the 4WD option?

Jeffrey Davidson

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Pontiac Vibe, 2013 Dodge Charger
I've never been a "truck guy", and am considering this being my first. I have no plans to go off-roading or pull crazy heavy loads, but do live in a place that can get a little nasty in the winter. I think it'll be the typical "Pavement Princess".

When pricing this out, the 4WD option costs an extra $4000. Compared to the cars and crossovers that I'm used to that are half that price, that's a pretty tough pill to swallow. $4k seems awfully high, especially if there's no automatic kick-on.

Should I just look at picking up a set of snow-tires, and call it a day with a 2WD truck?
Sponsored

kep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Being from South Dakota that's what I have always done, because I was not willing to pay that extra $4,000. This time I am just because I can, but this will be the first 4wd I have ever had. :)

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
If you stay with 4x2, definitely order the E-lock differential. I don't have snow to deal with in Southern Florida, but do have wet and/or slimy boat ramps to deal with. Originally I was going with 4x2 with E-lock, but changed to 4x4 so that I would never be "that guy" at the ramps.

One other consideration is that a 4x4 may be more desirable if you want to sell the truck before you wear it out.

kep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
If you stay with 4x2, definitely order the E-lock differential. I don't have snow to deal with in Southern Florida, but do have wet and/or slimy boat ramps to deal with. Originally I was going with 4x2 with E-lock, but changed to 4x4 so that I would never be "that guy" at the ramps.

One other consideration is that a 4x4 may be more desirable if you want to sell the truck before you wear it out.
That 2010 chevy silverado in my sig has a locker in it, not a bad idea. But at trade the truck is worth about $4,000 less that a 4x4 so you don't really lose money on the 4x4 upgrade.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Jeffrey, the only car I've ever owned (well, except my wife's cars) has been the 2003 Ford Ranger with 2WD that I've been driving for 15 years. My use of this truck sounds similar to your plans for yours. It doesn't leave the pavement much, except for the occasional dirt road when camping, but I've live in some places that get some pretty good snowstorms.

With this experience, my plan for a new pickup is to save the money and get 2WD, though I will add on the locking differential and get a set of chains to carry with me during the winter.

Like any option, not having 4WD will decrease your resale value, if that's something you're concerned about. To get an estimate on the difference, I just checked Edmunds for valuation of a theoretical 2013 Toyota Tacoma with 75,000 miles, and the difference between 2WD and 4WD for an otherwise identical truck was ~$2300 for both trade-in and private party sale.

Stumblios

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ranger FX4 LVL II
You know it comes down to your use. I live in southern Canada and I will always get 4x4 because in the winter there is always a moment when I need it. My father has 4x2 and in winter he has problems from time to time that 4x4 would solve. So I see it as need but I'm in the climate where it's good to have.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
I live in Florida, so it's pretty much just a want. I suppose it could be useful while driving on the beach from time to time. I just like the stance of a 4x4 and the look of the exposed skid/bash plate in front of the FX4.

Tomsriv

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Magnum RT (345 V8), 1971 Buick Riviera (455 V8)
I’m planning on getting a 2wd as well. More expensive vehicles always lose more value over time. But my main reasons are
Easier maintenance, better mileage, less insurance costs and lower bed height.
As far as maintenance, things like oil changes are more complicated if you have to deal with removing skid plates. Also brake jobs can be more complicated and the extra maintenance and more to go wrong with cv boots. Plus some vehicles are temperamental about tire sizes all being the same. If you get to 50 percent tread life and get a nail in the sidewalk can you replace just two tires or do you need to do all 4? These modern computer aided high tech systems are more sensitive.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Everyone has a reason for getting a particular configuration, whether it's actual utility or convenience or cosmetics. I can't get out of my steep driveway when it is snowy or icy without 4wd, so that is a must for me. Had to use it just yesterday to get out in fact.

Last edited:

skibuff

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Escape / 2019 Ford Ranger XLT Lighting Blue
If the area you live in is mostly flat I would get a locker and SNOW tire not all season tire and save the money on the 4wd. If you get stuck the locker should get you out of most situations on flat ground. I've seen several studies that showed that SNOW tires (Blizzak or similar) on a 2wd perform better than M&S tires on AWD or 4wd.

I'm in the mountains and have lots of steep roads/driveways so I need to have 4wd and snow tires.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
When I was looking for my first truck which I'm in now. I said all I need is 2wd. But once I starting enjoying the benifits of a truck (going off road) I quickly realized. And regretted. Not getting 4WD. And at the time I didn't want to spend the extra money on it. But now that I decided to trade in my basically new vehicle for a new 4wd ranger. it's going to cost me $$ in the long run when I should have bought 4wd to begin with. if you drive in snow or plan to enjoy the outdoors; or toe. you will regret not getting the 4wd option. yes i know the 4k extra is tough to swallow. but if you can do it. even if you have to sacrifice a lower trim or fewer options. you won't regret it. the fact that your thinking about it; makes you think you'll want it.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Once you have a 4WD truck you will wonder how you ever got around without it. I can't imagine a truck (if you want to do much of anything) without 4WD. I used to have a 2WD truck and got it stuck in our side yard because the grass was wet. 4WD was no problem - my brother had to pull me out with his 4WD - after that, I appreciated 4WD - even if you don't use it much, you will be glad you have it when you need it..

EFNFAST

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 ZR-1 Corvette, 2019 Ranger
So, 2WD with an open differential is basically 1 wheel drive. 4WD with front and rear open differential is 2 wheels powered. 2 wheel drive with a locker is 2 wheels powered. Food for thought.
And, all season tires are NOT snow tires. I run studded snowies on both my wife's and daughters cars.
Sponsored