XLT vs Lariat - differences

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
You can get the B&O system in supercabs. I've driven an FX4 Lariat supercab that has it. It's actually still on the lot the last I looked at their website. It's a REALLY nice truck and I was tempted but I thought a crew cab would serve me better. It's quite a bit cheaper than my XLT Tremor was too.
There's no way it's a supercab with full B&O because there's nowhere for the extra speaker to go. They may have recently changed the 501A package for the supercab to include the HD radio, but I'd have to see it tuning an HD radio station before I'd believe it. (Ford seems to be cheaping, not adding features.) Right now if you build a 2022 ranger supercab and add 501A the summary line says "AM/FM Radio with 6 Speakers and SYNC® 3" and if you change to a supercrew and add 501A it says "B&O Sound System by Bang & Olufsen with HD Radio". So I don't think they actually have changed anything, but (IMO) they have made it less clear than before that supercabs don't get B&O (it used to be a footnote in the package page, now it's only possible to tell that from the summary because the listing in the package page says "B&O/HD" without any footnote) because they're cheap, sleazy a-holes. (Let me tell you what I really think...) If they did change it so supercabs paying the 501A premium at least got HD radio I'd be impressed and pleasantly surprised, I'm just not holding my breath on that one.

In all other regards I love my supercab, but it's still annoying that they couldn't put in the HD radio (I don't care about the extra speaker for B&O) or at least knock a couple hundred bucks off the package price to acknowledge that, you know, it's not the entire package. This is the kind of penny-ante crap that makes me wonder what kind of idiots are running the store--souring the customer experience over something this petty (tie downs!) eliminates word of mouth worth millions of dollars if you have to buy ads instead to convince people you don't suck.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'll also add a vote for the lariat gauge cluster being idiotic. If you could put stuff from the left side onto the right side (display 2 different kinds of useful information at the same time!) it would be much better. The phone screen is just dumb. The entertainment screen is mostly dumb because even though there's a giant block of empty space, it can only display a short chopped-off version of the song title/artist info, and the nav screen (while better than it used to be, when it displayed *nothing* when using AA) is mostly useless when using AA because the speed limit shown is the internal (out of date) one, not the correct one from google maps, and the next turn stuff is much harder to read than the giant screen in the middle.

Edit to add: my memory failed...you get a chopped off song title in the right entertainment screen for stuff from your phone, but you don't even get that much from radio stations (even though the big screen shows everything). This really was a "what is the absolute minimum effort we can put into this" product.

Last edited:

FourMoreG

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger 4x4 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Driver
Hello @ch57 ,

I probably won't add anything that hasn't been said already, but here's my take on the controversial Lariat gauge cluster --

I actually find the two screens useful. The left is for vehicle data. The right is for Navigation, Entertainment, and Phone Call. My left screen is typically on the Fuel Economy display as it helps reign in my lead foot and the right is typically on Entertainment to control audio sources and see song names.

The primary thing you're missing is the full-size tachometer. I know some will disagree with me but I find a tach in automatic vehicles useless 99.9% of the time. In the rare occasions you feel you may want to monitor your revs the left screen can display a digital tach as either a bar graph or traditional gauge/needle.

The only complaint I can think of is that the left screen is too small and layout options are limited. For example, if you want to see realtime fuel economy and a digital speedo, tough luck, it's not possible, they're on two different layouts.

I personally ended up paying extra for the Lariat because I really enjoy the convenience of the keyless/proximity fob. Never having to take the key out of your pocket is nice. The headlights, speakers, leather, and built-in garage opener are other features that I enjoy on a daily basis.
I find the tach reading very valuable with my 10-speed automatic transmission, especially when dropping to a Lower shift gear range and not realizing it is Past the time to put it back in drive.

Falan

First Name
Hip To Be Sqaure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired Army
Love my Lariat with the keyless start and the voice commands I can do ( temperature control, Navigation, ect..) . It's also a 4x4 but wish it was the FX4 for the terrain option features but not a deal breaker. I say go with the one you like best with the features you want.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
We got the supercab, which basically means that we traded bed space for cabin space in the rear. We do not regret making that decision, as we like to keep a lot of sporting goods, changes of clothes, a cooler, etc. in the back of the cabin (with the seat up, which gives you some more space); and we do not haul so much stuff that we would need the six-foot bed. Plus, if I remember correctly, and this may have changed, but I think that you need to get the supercab in order to get the B&O sound, which we love.
That sounds like you got the SuperCrew if you gave up bed space for the back seat space. Or, I'm just not reading what you intended to say right.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds like you got the SuperCrew if you gave up bed space for the back seat space. Or, I'm just not reading what you intended to say right.
Right, I meant to say Supercrew. Thanks for catching this!

airish1531

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT sport 4x4
Occupation
Auto damage inspector
Vehicle Showcase
I have XLT with 302 package and I have factory remote start.
Very smart to get 302 A package. Just got 21 XLT 301 A made a huge mistake. ford deleted items from that group. I miss my 2019 already...

Blenner

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Lariat and must say it is very nice. This is my first ranger. I came over from a Honda Pilot Touring. So as far as the interior is concerned Ford is way behind.
I don’t mind the dual cluster, in fact I like it. I looked at the XLT but the interior amenities were the deal breaker. Especially the leather, but I have little kids so cloth is verboten.

My vote is Lariat over XLT if you can afford it. Some have pointed out the aftermarket upgrades that can be done but that requires there important things that are often glazed over:Your time, the right tools and the adequate skills.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my 2019 Lariat without the B&O sound and without the rain-sensing wipers, so that is not part of the Lariat package.

I think that if you go to the order page, it will give you all this minutiae in a list.

one of the things I recall that pushed me over the Lariat line was the additional sound-deadening.

OP
OP

ch57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBS 7.3, Jeep TJ
Hey all. So I've been busy with some hours projects (new roof, electrical, water, etc...) but started comparing in more detail the XLT and Lariat again a few days ago. It looks like there's actually very few differences between the XLT and Lariat. Maybe the 2022 year induced some changes? For example, you can get heated mirrors on the XLT - which I don't remember being an option on the 2021 year....

I am currently considering a optioned out XLT instead of a Lariat - it has more cost and options than I 'need'.

I haven't been able to get good info from Ford - so is anyone able to assist in the following questions please (for MY 2022):
  • Does the XLT offer heated seats? (pics on Ford site show the heat button, but description does not say)
  • Does the XLT offer headed glass like the web portal says?
  • Anyone experience aftermarket sound system since BO is not offered in the XLT?

Thanks in advance :). Planning to place an order next weekend so gotta narrow it down ha.