OP

ch57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBS 7.3, Jeep TJ
are things that Ford either reduced the numbers (tie downs) or completely removed from later builds, apparently in an
Ok cool. thank you for the info! Just wanting to make sure the truck is right before putting out that much cash. :)
Sponsored

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
So the XLT does NOT have a key fob that opens doors and starts the truck even if it has remote start?? That seems awful odd....
That is not correct the xlt fob works like any others just has the switchblade style flip out key to start it vs just a button. As far as the tailgate power locking (something not mentioned as far as I see) I think that is a lariat thing that is incredibly nice to have.
It sounds like I wouldn't get the BO sound system anyway since I'm really not needing a crew cab and would prefer more bed space. So thats kinda a bummer. I wonder if a Lariat key fob with the remote start button can be programed to be used with a XLT.
The XLT starts with a physical key blade so that is a no go.

Yes I totally agree... I guess I will have to call someone at Ford to clarify things because it seems the build guide and the online build doesn't match. That ix expanded on by sales people at 2 different dealerships not knowing at all what is what and referred to the online build for what options are available.

I do agree. The number one thing that I do not like with the Lariat is the leather seats. I wonder what it would cost to swap out the fabric.....
I love my lariat adaptive cruise the b &o just the overall polish and features are really great, I personally couldn't justify doing an xlt for myself but to each their own. Also to get rid of that gaudy chrome just get a tremor, sport appearance or the very nice black appearance pack.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Depends on what you're going to do with that extra foot. For hauling, it really doesn't impact much. If you're going to want to sleep in the back, you'll need it.

But if you can safely say you're not going to haul passengers in the back, there's very little reason not to get the scab.
I have a crew cab (a non-negotiable must-have due to the number of kids I have) and in a perfect world would like to have the extra foot of bed length. That said, the short bed has amounted to a minor annoyance that is solved via use of things like a bed extender.

If you think you may need comfortable passenger space, I don't think you'll really be held back by the short bed of the crew cab. But like John said, if you don't foresee yourself hauling passengers in the back, there's no real reason to not get the supercab and have the utility of the longer bed.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Mine's a 2019.

The media flyer said it had heated mirrors, but it doesn't.

It DOES have, drumroll please...

6, count them, 6 bed tie downs ?

Illuminated shifter

Folding rear seat headrests

Plugs in the holes along the rocker panels

All those items are things that Ford either reduced the numbers (tie downs) or completely removed from later builds, apparently in an effort to cut costs.
And the highly coveted pencil tray in the center console!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I have a crew cab (a non-negotiable must-have due to the number of kids I have) and in a perfect world would like to have the extra foot of bed length. That said, the short bed has amounted to a minor annoyance that is solved via use of things like a bed extender.

If you think you may need comfortable passenger space, I don't think you'll really be held back by the short bed of the crew cab. But like John said, if you don't foresee yourself hauling passengers in the back, there's no real reason to not get the supercab and have the utility of the longer bed.
The other thing that has partially mitigated the short bed for me is that the bed is VERY deep. So when hauling stuff like firewood you can get more in very easily. I purchased a bed extender but haven't really used it all that much. The shorter bed has not been nearly as big of a compromise as I was expecting it to be.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
The other thing that has partially mitigated the short bed for me is that the bed is VERY deep. So when hauling stuff like firewood you can get more in very easily. I purchased a bed extender but haven't really used it all that much. The shorter bed has not been nearly as big of a compromise as I was expecting it to be.
Agreed. The depth of this bed addresses mulch and firewood easily. And a foot isn't long enough to make a difference for hauling most things - tailgate is coming down for lumber or a long kayak or canoe. But if you're camping and sleeping in it, that foot is gold.

OP
OP

ch57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBS 7.3, Jeep TJ
Yeah there are two sides to that for sure. Although, personally - I hate all new beds. I miss the short beds of the old ranger and older trucks. Only the Tacoma (not a fan of that truck) has a lower bedside. I'm also short...so there is that. The ranger bed side height would require a step ladder for me to reach over the side or climb in the back. Sadly all makers are going that route. Must be a crash rating requirement.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah there are two sides to that for sure. Although, personally - I hate all new beds. I miss the short beds of the old ranger and older trucks.
Most everything is some sort of compromise..... I'd still like a crew cab with a 6' bed, but the depth of the bed has made it less of an issue for me. I honestly struggled with that a LOT when I was deciding what truck to purchase back in 2018. Given what I know now, I'm very happy with the compromises I made.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Most everything is some sort of compromise..... I'd still like a crew cab with a 6' bed, but the depth of the bed has made it less of an issue for me. I honestly struggled with that a LOT when I was deciding what truck to purchase back in 2018. Given what I know now, I'm very happy with the compromises I made.
Ditto.

When I was shopping I narrowed it down to the Ranger and a Colorado. The Ranger edged out the Colorado in almost every category, except that I could get the Chevy with the crewcab/6ft bed combination. Obviously in the end I opted for the Ranger, and in hindsight it was absolutely the right choice despite the bed length compromise.

Jackpot Tremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 4x4
Occupation
Self Employed
Folding rear seat headrests

I wonder if there's a way to use the folding rear headrests from the 2019 Ranger in my 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor?.......it would be worth it for me to order new headrests if they fold and work with my ranger!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Yeah there are two sides to that for sure. Although, personally - I hate all new beds. I miss the short beds of the old ranger and older trucks. Only the Tacoma (not a fan of that truck) has a lower bedside. I'm also short...so there is that. The ranger bed side height would require a step ladder for me to reach over the side or climb in the back. Sadly all makers are going that route. Must be a crash rating requirement.
If it would work for your needs, maybe look at a Maverick (unfortunately nigh impossible right now. It is a home run for Ford and sold out everywhere.)

MUCH lower bedside height and honestly, the bed has some very clever touches throughout.

If the 2023 Maverick finally fills that huge hole next to the entertainment screen with a full screen, I'll likely trade.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
The Lariat has a different instrument cluster than the other trim levels.

Different likes for different folks, but the instrument cluster in the Lariat is why I bought an XLT instead. I REALLY disliked it and didn't want to look at it for years. A few on here have swapped their Lariat cluster for an XLT cluster.

Lariat cluster:

Ford-Ranger-dual-display-e1610509044409.png

XLT cluster:

a16dfd4f-d9b6-4bd2-8a9f-23c03e328bb6-jpeg.jpg
Yeah, I knew the differences. :) It was just the wording "fancier" that stuck out. It's not very descriptive. I prefer my Lariat's 2 displays, but I know they're not for everyone.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Depends on what you're going to do with that extra foot. For hauling, it really doesn't impact much. If you're going to want to sleep in the back, you'll need it.

But if you can safely say you're not going to haul passengers in the back, there's very little reason not to get the scab.
With a SCab . . . you can buy a larger TV !!

Image 360.png

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4