XL vs XLT both with FX4, etc.

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XL Ranger 4x2 Supercrew.
I priced both and ended up getting an XL with the STX, Tow Package and the 101A package for the Fob with the remote, cruise control and remote adjustable mirrors. I then added a bunch of options including the sliding rear window. For me, I didn't want the Sport Appearance Package nor did I need the remote start or the 8 way power seat which is required if one wants the sliding rear window on the XLT. That was $2800.

Like some of the others have mentioned, I think of it as a truck and I don't associate a lot of options on a truck. I did add the carpet though so I guess and the mats (both carpet and vinyl) so I guess I do have some "luxury features":). Oh and I added the locker and the block heater to my 2WD. Yea, I'm likely one of the only CA owners to actually click that block heater addition but for ~$80 I figured it was a luxury I could add just to say I had it:).

I had the dealer take off the STX stickers as I'm not super fond of stickers.

It's certainly a personal decision. If you like the additions the XLT brings, get it. If you are like me and don't need that stuff, you can save some $$. I think the only thing I sort of miss is the 110V plug though I've had no need to use it in the first two months of ownership. I'm going to see how hard it is to add the inverter and that plug as well as some USB plugs for those in the back seat. I do have to remember that the Canyon this replaced had two 12V outlets in the front and that's it. I'm already ahead of that with the USB socket replacements I've done in the front.

I just repriced what I got and compared it to what I would have ordered had I ordered an XLT. XL with my stuff, $34,520 (hmm, that's about 1K more than mine was when I ordered though I got it for just over $30K), XLT with comparable options, $38,280. So I would have spent $3760 (probably less due to X plan and incentives) more for a truck that had maybe one or two things more I wanted.
Sponsored

Marc F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4
I geek out on electronics more in my home than in my truck. It does stream music/podcasts flawlessly which is really all I ask for out my truck. For navigation I use my phone so having the bigger screen and built in navigation wasn't very relevant to me.

I like my STX but comes down to personal preference like anything.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I like the XLT I got, I live in Michigan, so heated seats are really nice to have. There weren't any XL's on the lot, so for the 2500 you're about to save, I'd still go with the XLT. Dual climate, Navigation, Apple/Android CarPlay, not having to hack and slash the dash to get an aftermarket head unit in properly... All these things are important to me.
You get the non-Sync screen in the XLT 300A base package. 301A and 302A packages add the 8" screen.
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and plan on buying a Ranger at the end of the summer. I'm trying to choose between the XL and XLT. I'll be choosing the FX4 option as well as the bed and towing packages either way. I'd really like to hear people weigh in on the differences given:
1) I just plain like the looks of the XL outfitted this way better than the XLT. I know you can get the XLT black package or whatever for more money but...
2) I'm not sure I care about carpet as I'll be putting in mud trays front and rear.
3) The Nav screen I think is the biggest difference I can see. I'm thinking I can always swap it out aftermarket for less than the difference in price if I really decide I want it.

The MSRP difference is about $2500. Talk to me. I'll go drive both configs but I'm looking for input from people who are currently living with these vehicles. Thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to joining your ranks and pushing this rig out in the woods.
Biggest reason to get an XLT with the 301A Package is the safety tech that comes with the 8' Sync screen. Apple Carplay/Android Auto is awesome, you'll never go back to the old fashioned radio.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
You get the non-Sync screen in the XLT 300A base package. 301A and 302A packages add the 8" screen.

Biggest reason to get an XLT with the 301A Package is the safety tech that comes with the 8' Sync screen. Apple Carplay/Android Auto is awesome, you'll never go back to the old fashioned radio.
I did. Have the big touchscreen and android auto in my jeep.

I hate it. Used the android once. When it is on, nothing else works. And I hate having to navigate through multiple screens to freakin turn something on.

Another reason I ordered the STX.

Now get off my lawn.

Last edited:

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XL Ranger 4x2 Supercrew.
I did. Have the big touchscreen and android auto in my jeep.

I hate it. Used the android once. When it is on, nothing else works. And I hate having to navigate through multiple screens to freakin turn something on.

Another reason I ordered the STX.

No get off my lawn.
Yea, my thinking is similar to yours. I navigate with my phone and I listen to my music on the radio/USB. I don't like it when the radio lowers in volume to get a navigation update as I'd rather just have both. All I want in integration is my phone to be connected to the radio for calls which it is.

Julie dominesey

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt fx4 and a 2018 Ford f 150 xlt fx4
Go with the xlt !!! I bought mine in February sticker was 42500 , I paid 41300.. my truck has nav ..electric seats , .. think about possible resale value .. the xl will be a dog .. personally like the gauge cluster on the xlt much better than the lariat .. I added an engine cover and molded mud guards .. you need the mudguards the design is quirky .. I have no regrets .. but if you have to choose a 150 or a ranger .. choose the 150 .. I did not have to choose I have a 150 fx4 xlt with nav and electric seats .... the cab on the ranger is kinda small ..

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Go with the xlt !!! I bought mine in February sticker was 42500 , I paid 41300.. my truck has nav ..electric seats , .. think about possible resale value .. the xl will be a dog .. personally like the gauge cluster on the xlt much better than the lariat .. I added an engine cover and molded mud guards .. you need the mudguards the design is quirky .. I have no regrets .. but if you have to choose a 150 or a ranger .. choose the 150 .. I did not have to choose I have a 150 fx4 xlt with nav and electric seats .... the cab on the ranger is kinda small ..
Or save 8k and go with XL

Edit because my smiley face didnt post.

Just busting chops. Cant go wrong with either.
I ordered xl since carpet delete not option on XLT

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I need to find a local XL person who wants carpet and do a trade...

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
I need to find a local XL person who wants carpet and do a trade...
It would probably be easier just to order the vinyl flooring from Ford and pull the seats and do a swap if you really don't want carpet. I have the Ford rubber floor liners in my XLT and they do fine protecting the carpet while still having it's advantages like a quieter interior.

I guess it all comes down to the features and look you want. My last vehicle was a 2016 F-150 XL and I was tired of the low rent black plastic trim interior so I went with an XLT this time. The XL interiors certainly look commercial fleet and I understand why they are like that, but I just wanted a few more features and the nicer looking interior.

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
What makes you happy? Everybody has opinions but yours is the only one that counts.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
It would probably be easier just to order the vinyl flooring from Ford and pull the seats and do a swap if you really don't want carpet. I have the Ford rubber floor liners in my XLT and they do fine protecting the carpet while still having it's advantages like a quieter interior.

I guess it all comes down to the features and look you want. My last vehicle was a 2016 F-150 XL and I was tired of the low rent black plastic trim interior so I went with an XLT this time. The XL interiors certainly look commercial fleet and I understand why they are like that, but I just wanted a few more features and the nicer looking interior.

I don't really think I'll do it, and I certainly wouldn't want to see the parts cost on the vinyl floor. I have huskyliners, and my kids still manage to get chips, dirt, etc all over the carpet. I also had an unfortunate incident with a 6 pack of Dr. Pepper that vinyl floors would have been nice to have :)

That said, a swap would be nice since you don't have to store the carpet anymore, and there's zero cost other than a saturday tearing apart yours and another guys truck to swap carpet.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Got a XL, STX, FX with tow package running boards Keyless entry carpet with floor mat options. Spray in bed liner. Already added a bed mat.
Gotta love this truck. Got it for $31,550.

DSCN7801.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: