2021 Ranger XLT FX4 observations...

nanohead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX4
About a 6 weeks in to my 2021 Ranger. Bought an XLT FX4, and have mostly been enjoying it....mostly. Have about 4000 miles on it

I've read a ton on this forum and there's lots of knowledge, so figured I'd post some impressions so people can opine on what I can do about some of these things.

FWIW, I didn't really want the FX4 Off Road package, but as inventory is pretty light these days, I took what I could get, as my rusty 2008 Dakota decided it just wanted to disintegrate.

• Engine: Test drove the Ranger, so knew what I was getting. The engine itself has adequate power for the weight of the truck. The programming is basically decent on the engine, but clearly there is more that can be gotten from it. Will likely try the Ford tune. The lugging at low speed is not optimal but I think the trans is mostly responsible.
  • Transmission: Hardware is fine basically, but software is pretty awful. The programming is oriented toward fuel consumption and emissions obviously, but it doesn't really succeed. It is hyper aggressive at upshifting, and maintaining higher gears, even at low speeds and especially when decelerating. At low speeds in traffic, the truck lugs, and the body shudders. And on deceleration, the trans gets confused if you need to accelerate again. Its goofy, but not that different than other multi speed transmissions we have that had conservative programming. Possible that the Ford tune could improve this.
  • Brakes: Not sure if they are not big enough for the truck, or the pads are too soft, or its something else, but they definitely struggle to slow the truck down, especially if you need heavy braking. They feel squishy when I brake aggressively. Combined with the the trans shuddering on braking, the whole truck feels like its shaking heavily. And braking heavily when turning, like on a exit ramp, is just unpleasant. Not sure what to do here. The tires could also be a culprit
  • Suspension: I didn't really want the "off road" FX4 package, but its what they had on the lot, so I took it. The truck, especially the front end, bounces all over the place. Definitely tuning and damping for off road. The tires, Hankook ATM are just not my cup of tea. Super squishy, probably fine for off road, but I'll never really do that. So I think I'll just replace them. The spring/dampers are another story altogether. I'd prefer that the truck turned better and had more precise steering. It could be that tires alone would dramatically improve turn in and general handling. I've already had 1 catastrophic blowout with one of the Hankooks and had to replace it. I probably should have done all 4 with a regular all season road tire.
  • Audio: I'm a pathological car audio hacker. Its a bad disease. I think the audio gear in my last pickup was worth way more than the rest of the truck. I can't wait to start replacing and upgrading. Trying to find a T Harness that will work with the 2021, all the one's I've found are good for 19-20. I might just make my own.
  • The front doors: OMG, they sound like tin cans, its embarrassing. Nothing a bunch of Ensolite and sound dampener can't fix.
Other random observations. The seats are super comfortable. Its such an upgrade from my 2008 Dakota. My back loves me again!!! The cabin is pretty quiet, but once I put sound deadener around the doors and possibly the rear bulkhead, it should be even quieter. Its just a nice truck, simple enough, I love the size, already put tons of stuff in the bed.

Any thoughts on engine/trans/suspension/braking are welcome....
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Use sport mode instead of D. Can also turn on towing and that will use more engine breaking braking. Those 2 things might solve part of your problems with tranny.

Change the shocks, problem solved for that. New tires if that's your thing, can't recommend any since I haven't changed either.

I bought the fx4 too, and don't really need/want it, but whatev :)

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Mine was much like yours as I have a 4X4 XLT sport. Around 4K I thought the transmission would have figured out my driving patterns. Now I lock out gears I know I don’t want to be in. At around 8K now and it seems to know where it should be. I still lockout though.

Suspension is my next cash drop. I’m upgrading all 4 shocks. Pretty much decided on Fox 2.0 for this. I’ll run factory tires until they’re no more. Then see what I like. It’s only money right… ?

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
I agree with the brakes. For me the brake system is the worst part of the truck for me(I love the truck).
When my brakes need replaced I plan on talking to my mechanic to beef them up or find a solution. For now I’ll deal with it, my pedal feels useless the first 20% of travel.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
BTW, I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't think there has been any changes to prevent the T harness from working in a '21. It wouldn't be the first time parts were listed for 19-20 but work fine on a '21.

OP
OP

nanohead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX4
Thanks to everyone! At least I know my Ranger is behaving like other's trucks are.

Some of the service guys at my local Ford dealer are actually enthusiasts and have played with the factory Ranger tune, which just added the 2021 model to its official release.

I'm going to investigate brakes, shocks and whatever other components may make the overall chassis experience more precise and crisp.

I know everyone has 97 opinions about tires, but we've had fantastic luck with Cooper Discoverer SRXs on a number of cars since the tires released a couple of years ago. I'll likely put a set on soon as at least they are a known quantity to me.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I was same as you. Didn't really want the FX4 pkg, but it was what they had with a 10k off sticker in the window (demo).
I plan to eventually go Bilstein, but for now went cheap and easy Rough Country in the back only. I did improve the floatyness

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The biggest driving improvements to my FX4 truck were replacing the Hankooks with Falken AT3W tires and replacing the FX4 rear shocks with Bilsteins.

The Bilsteins removed a lot of the floatiness in the rear and the Falkens seem to work better in all situations than the Hankooks did, especially driving in the rain.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
I know everyone has 97 opinions about tires, but we've had fantastic luck with Cooper Discoverer SRXs on a number of cars since the tires released a couple of years ago. I'll likely put a set on soon as at least they are a known quantity to me.
Those look like all weather tires, correct? Not really all terrain. Curious since you are in NJ and VT how they handle in the snow. Where we will be retiring gets a fair amount of snow and in mountainous so I'll need a more aggressive tire.

The biggest driving improvements to my FX4 truck were replacing the Hankooks with Falken AT3W tires and replacing the FX4 rear shocks with Bilsteins.
How to they sound on the road? Are they quiet, or do you get the truck tire sing?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Very quiet. Not really any louder than the Hankooks were from my perspective.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
The transmission luffing the engine at slow speeds was the most aggravating thing for me. But, it didn't take me long to just start putting the tranny in sport mode to stop that. The rest I've been quite happy with.

OP
OP

nanohead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX4
Those look like all weather tires, correct? Not really all terrain. Curious since you are in NJ and VT how they handle in the snow. Where we will be retiring gets a fair amount of snow and in mountainous so I'll need a more aggressive tire.
I used the Cooper SRXs on my recently traded Dakota, as well as 2 of our kids Jeep Cherokees, and they have been great in the snow for several winters. No complaints at all when using 4WD.

OP
OP

nanohead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX4
BTW, I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't think there has been any changes to prevent the T harness from working in a '21. It wouldn't be the first time parts were listed for 19-20 but work fine on a '21.
The T harnesses I've found (mostly on Amazon) all say that the 2021 radio is different. Not sure what that actually means though
Sponsored