Wireless Charging Install

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV
It took a while to get the printer working again but I now have a few brackets ready. Message me if you are interested.

The universal bracket works with both chargers but the Sanmido sticks out a little
IMG_0335.jpeg
IMG_0334.jpeg

There is also a new MagSafe bracket but this one does not work with "Max" iPhones
IMG_0336.jpeg
IMG_0341.jpeg

The old style MagSafe bracket does support "Max" iPhones, at least for now
IMG_0083.jpeg
Sponsored

mokupilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 DeeZee Lariat Tremor, 09 Escape Limited
Occupation
Heavy aluminum tube logistics and transportation ✈
I love my DirkM tray. I've been using it trouble free for almost a year with a Wireless CarPlay module taped to the bottom. Only problem is that I'm due for a new phone this year and will probably have to go to the MagSafe version, unless there's a way to modify it.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
It took a while to get the printer working again but I now have a few brackets ready. Message me if you are interested.
The universal bracket works with both chargers but the Sanmido sticks out a little
There is also a new MagSafe bracket but this one does not work with "Max" iPhones
The old style MagSafe bracket does support "Max" iPhones, at least for now
Hey Dirk
I updated my androids to MagSafe with covers and ring attachments. Works quite well!
I am interested n the new MagSafe bracket, can you post more pics of it out of the truck?
I assume it matches to official Apple MagSafe charger.

Last edited:

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the new MagSafe bracket and yes, it only works with the original Apple MagSafe charger which needs a 30W USB-C PD power source.
IMG_0398.jpeg
IMG_0399.jpeg

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
As far as I can tell magsafe will only charge at 7.5w for a qi device. I have a Pixel 7 with a magsafe case and I'm only gaining 1-2% on my 20 minute drive to work. It also seems like you need a PD 3.0 plug to get full 15w on iphone.

I have ordered a 3rd party qi charger with magsafe magnets that claims 10w and the exact dimensions as the magsafe puck. Will update when it arrives and do some testing.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
As far as I can tell magsafe will only charge at 7.5w for a qi device. I have a Pixel 7 with a magsafe case and I'm only gaining 1-2% on my 20 minute drive to work. It also seems like you need a PD 3.0 plug to get full 15w on iphone.

I have ordered a 3rd party qi charger with magsafe magnets that claims 10w and the exact dimensions as the magsafe puck. Will update when it arrives and do some testing.
Here are my results
I bought 4 magsafe chargers. 1 apple and the other 3, not.
The Apple would only charge both my S22 and Pixel6 at 4-5W
Amazon #1 - S22 10W and Pixel 15W, yes Fifteen!
Amazon #2 - S22 9W and Pixel 5W
Course Motorsports - S22 10W an PIxel 5W.
I guess the pixel is more picky about the charger. I was surpirsed by how bad the apple one was. Maybe if it doesnt recgnize an iPhone it limits power.
I returned the Apple and Amazon #2
On my S22 if i see 10W when measured the phone reports "fast wireless charging".
I tested with a 25W power source.
In the car I have a direct wired 18W USB charger.

Wireless charging doesn't compare anywhere close to wired. But I do get charging under heavy load (video and maps running). However, it will stop charging due to heat periodically. The net is usually a battery drain.
If the phone is idle I feel I get an acceptable level of wireless charging.

Overall I am happy with using MagSafe on my Androids.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Here are my results
I bought 4 magsafe chargers. 1 apple and the other 3, not.
The Apple would only charge both my S22 and Pixel6 at 4-5W
Amazon #1 - S22 10W and Pixel 15W, yes Fifteen!
Amazon #2 - S22 9W and Pixel 5W
Course Motorsports - S22 10W an PIxel 5W.
I guess the pixel is more picky about the charger. I was surpirsed by how bad the apple one was. Maybe if it doesnt recgnize an iPhone it limits power.
I returned the Apple and Amazon #2
On my S22 if i see 10W when measured the phone reports "fast wireless charging".
I tested with a 25W power source.
In the car I have a direct wired 18W USB charger.

Wireless charging doesn't compare anywhere close to wired. But I do get charging under heavy load (video and maps running). However, it will stop charging due to heat periodically. The net is usually a battery drain.
If the phone is idle I feel I get an acceptable level of wireless charging.

Overall I am happy with using MagSafe on my Androids.
Your right on from what I have read, the apple magsafe has some sort of a handshake that allows the full 15w rate. Appreciate the other info. Can you share a link to the one you are using?

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Your right on from what I have read, the apple magsafe has some sort of a handshake that allows the full 15w rate. Appreciate the other info. Can you share a link to the one you are using?
Amazon - exact same dia as the apple version. I didnt check the thickenss for some reason.
CourseMotorsports - this wasn't cheap I would have returned the wireless charging head, but had already installed the bracket and they don't take partial returns. I do like the mount and its a std 7mm ball so you can buy a cheaper charging head, like ESR for ex. just buy the mount with the cheapest head.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Amazon - exact same dia as the apple version. I didnt check the thickenss for some reason.
CourseMotorsports - this wasn't cheap I would have returned the wireless charging head, but had already installed the bracket and they don't take partial returns. I do like the mount and its a std 7mm ball so you can buy a cheaper charging head, like ESR for ex. just buy the mount with the cheapest head.
Thanks you. That Amazon link is the one I'm waiting on. I'm happy it's going to work

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
This is plate I've been working on. I wanted to be able to access the USB ports and still have some of the storage space. Still needs some work, ideally it'll sit flush with the lip of the console.

PXL_20230602_161804036.jpg

IMG_20230602_122102.jpg

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
The knock off mag safe cam in the mail today.

Exact dimensions of Apple charger
Much faster charging on Pixel
Magnets not quite as strong
Black color is a nice match

PXL_20230605_145719174.jpg

Screenshot_20230605-110237~2.png

Screenshot_20230605-110422~2.png

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The magnets are so strong, I had to add some glue to make it not slide out when removing the phone :) iPhones won't charger with more than 7.5W though, for now at least.
IMG_0402.jpeg

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
The magnets are so strong, I had to add some glue to make it not slide out when removing the phone :) iPhones won't charger with more than 7.5W though, for now at least.
IMG_0402.jpeg
That looks nice with the black

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
The knock off mag safe cam in the mail today.

Exact dimensions of Apple charger
Much faster charging on Pixel
Magnets not quite as strong
Black color is a nice match
That's pretty much exactly what I saw.

One other comment that I might have forgot to mention. When just charging and maybe running maps phone does not get hot. Warm yes, but no where near the temp with the rectangular charger.

Nopalito

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Cactus Grey XLT
Occupation
Emergency Manager
This is plate I've been working on. I wanted to be able to access the USB ports and still have some of the storage space. Still needs some work, ideally it'll sit flush with the lip of the console.

PXL_20230602_161804036.jpg

IMG_20230602_122102.jpg
that’s nice! I keep too much in that cubby to cover it. That’s a clever charger system
Sponsored