First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Bridgestone Blizzaks are the shiznit. My wife won't roll on anything else in her minivan for the winter. Used them on her last three vehicles.
If you're feeling less spendy, then the Firestone Winterforce already mentioned are great tires for the money.
I would just use the stock size and not worry about it.
Sponsored

KnightWolf

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting
Following, also in the market for winter tires. Great to see real work feedback.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Bridgestone Blizzaks are the shiznit. My wife won't roll on anything else in her minivan for the winter. Used them on her last three vehicles.
If you're feeling less spendy, then the Firestone Winterforce already mentioned are great tires for the money.
I would just use the stock size and not worry about it.
Blizzaks are hard to beat for a dedicated winter tire. My wife's Subaru has traction for days on those suckers. Have gotten good wear out of them too.

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
I hated the blizzaks, unpopular opinion.

But I run studs now. Hankook iPikes are the most popular up here in Alaska since we are close to Asia.

Plus they perform great.

Had great luck with unstudded Cooper weather master, Cooper evolution, General Arctic, Firestone winter forces.

Terrible luck with Goodyear anything.

Generals and Hankooks are my go-to if I can pick though.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
I am using Nokian WR SUV3 on the stock size dimensions. Climbs like a goat on snowy/icy roads, compressed and loose snow as well. I've been on 20% inclines on forest tracks covered in snow until hub level, in 4LO, no drama whatsoever. I would not run an AT tyre in the winter, even if it's 3peaks M+S. If you press your fingernail in the rubber, the AT (Pirelli Scorpion AT+) it's much harder than the winter tyre, although Pirelli recommends it for snow much more than dry: https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/catalog/product/scorpion-all-terrain-plus.

Also I know a few people with Ranger Raptors that swap the KO2s in the winter, very difficult to find dedicated winter tires in that size.

OP
OP

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Thanks. I do have the 2.5 leveling kit as well.
Gotcha. I was thinking you meant 1 1/4" spacer level. You meant wheel spacers. With a 2 1/2" lift you can easily fit the 255/80s on the factory 17" wheels. The wheel spacers may need to go though, or the crash bars, or you'd probably be ok with aftermarket bars and the spacers.

OP
OP

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Ok, now trying to find that size tire. 255 70 17 are easy to find. Move to 75 and much less choice, and 80s are slim pickins.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Ok, now trying to find that size tire. 255 70 17 are easy to find. Move to 75 and much less choice, and 80s are slim pickins.
Yep.

80s are all E rated as well. Virtually every tire purchase is a compromise of some sort though

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
If you stick to the stock size for winter you will find tons of options, tires that will not look aggressive, look tiny on the truck yet do the job perfectly. You can do whatever you want spring->autumn.

This is a good video: .

OP
OP

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Will a Ford dealer recalibrate once I get new larger tires?

OP
OP

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Yes, that is an option, or this...

Or many tuning modules have the capability, or you can buy a tire calibration tool.
Thanks for info. I'm not all that tech savvy...

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Thanks for info. I'm not all that tech savvy...
I didn't feel super comfortable with it at first myself.

I went the Forscan route because there are other things I wanted to do with it. It operates on Windows and I didn't have a decent windows machine. I spent $120 on a refurb Amazon laptop, and $30 on a Forscan license, the license fee is not necessary. For $150 I can not only change the tire size as much as I want, but I have also disabled the double honk on exit with the keys, disabled the "enhanced engine" noises, played with the DRLs, allowed my fogs to stay on with the brights, and turned on corner lighting.

It was the cheapest of all the options and gave me other functionality I desired. If I didn't go this route I would've done it with a tuner in order to, again, kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Just not quite ready to futz with the engine yet.

Take it slow and read a bunch. You might surprise yourself. There's a lot of help here and elsewhere.
Sponsored