Why the level? Why the rake?

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
The rake also adds maneuverability, more weight on the front end equals better grip. This is of course not a track car, yet it’s important for safety. I’ve also lifted the rear end, so I still have a rake.
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
56DE941B-5550-483A-857F-390C231E7DCF.jpeg

Raise the front end gain approach angle. That helps to get over obstacles. If you can’t put a wheel on the obstacle your not proceeding forward. That is why approach angles are important and advertised for off road vehicles.

A9449789-9955-44F2-AF38-4A2CA85DBE9A.jpeg

Front end also has 4 sensors that will be a costly repair if damaged. Level the front helps to get them to safer elevation. Leveling doesn’t eliminate the sensor issue but it helps when off-roading.

You were only thinking about the underside of the vehicle.
Ok.

But you will decrease the departure angle, no?

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Approach angle would be the only gain, wish I measured mine before and after to see what it was.

Andrew, For me it was mostly cosmetic but I did go one size larger tire so that gave me more room in the wheel well. It also stiffened up the front end which I liked.
Yeah, forgot about approach angle.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Ok.

But you will decrease the departure angle, no?
Naaa. Nothing happening with the rear end. Your not lowering it.

Put a jack under your front bumper and raise it 2” and you will see nothing happens to the tail end measurement height.

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
Naaa. Nothing happening with the rear end. Your not lowering it.

Put a jack under your front bumper and raise it 2” and you will see nothing happens to the tail end measurement height.
Geometrically speaking, I thought if you raised the front end, with the vehicle rotating around the rear axle, it would lower the rear end. Anything behind the rear axle should be lower, everything in front of the rear axle should be higher. Kinda like a teeter totter, with the rear axle being the pivot point.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
How are you gaining clearance??
Front diff and lower suspension does not move.
If you can fit taller tires then that will lift the front and rear diffs. Not much, but some.
The axles are usually going to move with the tires over obstacles and you try to avoid high hard things in the middle that the tires won't go over and the axle isn't going to push out of the way.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Geometrically speaking, I thought if you raised the front end, with the vehicle rotating around the rear axle, it would lower the rear end. Anything behind the rear axle should be lower, everything in front of the rear axle should be higher. Kinda like a teeter totter, with the rear axle being the pivot point.
Not much, there isn't much behind the rear axle.

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
Personally I like the rake though I'm sure it's not as pronounced on the 2021 as it is on the 2019. Lifts with bigger wheels and tires do look cool. But lifts without bigger wheels and tires make it look like a kid that's wearing his dad's trousers.

Edit: just a subjective opinion don't want to upset anyone ?

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Personally I like the rake though I'm sure it's not as pronounced on the 2021 as it is on the 2019. Lifts with bigger wheels and tires do look cool. But lifts without bigger wheels and tires make it look like a kid that's wearing his dad's trousers.

Edit: just a subjective opinion don't want to upset anyone ?
Agreed!!

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Your correct. You will lose approximately 0.451 degree departure angle. I stand corrected. I will try harder next time. ?

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing worse than the rake…is rake in the other direction. Aka squatting. Around here if you are a 20 yr old d*#k head and dating your cousin who is still in high school then it’s mandatory you lower the rear and raise the front of your 200k mile Silverado with a mismatched door..

OP
OP
WingShot

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Thanks for all the replies! Some reasons were expected but a few new things in there that I had not considered. It’s remarkable how versatile a good truck can be and always interesting to see what folks will do to maximize whatever it is they are in to.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I did a 2.5” spacer level. I like the level look. I also added a Firestone air bag kit to the rear so the truck can Still be level when I tow my camper. Best of both worlds.
Sponsored