Why don't we have actual small trucks any more? Best deep dive I've seen.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
What people should bitch about are automatic inclusions of crap like lane keeping assist and pre-collision systems, etc etc

I promise that is adding thousands to the price tag that many people turn off those features when they buy the cars.

I'm not one of those "I want manual windows damnit!" people, I am all for electronics, but stop making me pay for the nanny stuff. Automatic high beams? Really? I'm sure the claim is all this stuff adds to overall safety, but I see it as making the driver dumber as time goes on.
These are mandated that's why. Pre-collision in the US, lane-keeping in the EU, auto start-stop, etc. Nobody wants them but no matter you must have them. That's how democracy works. 🤡
Sponsored

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I always felt cramped in older gen Rangers. Maybe being 6'1" didn't help. I have a 35" inseam and never had enough leg room.

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
My company car in Iraq was Hilux with a manual. I'm sure it got turned into a ISIS gun truck. 😩
Same here, in the entire time I was out there they were pretty great trucks and got us around just fine. Until one of them got stolen. LOL ...

the Base MPs found it sitting between a couple of hooches and were pulling the tarp off of it when a marine SGT stuck his head out and asked them what the hell they thought they were doing? They asked him if it was his truck and he said yes. their response? No it isn't turn around and put your hands behind your back you are under arrest. turns out 3 marines had a friend transferring in and they wanted to provide him with his own transportation. Have no idea why those crayon eaters thought they could get away stealing it when they couldn't take it off the base.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
I appreciate the nostalgia for a small truck and I’ve owned a couple, but from a functionality and usability standpoint, I don’t want anything smaller than my current Ranger.
+1!

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
The irony of you advocating for larger, less efficient vehicles as a reponse to climate change is not lost on me.
Got a hunch he'd not going to respond to you. :sunglasses:

Can't say anything more as some folks here get real damn touchy about anyone mentioning a certain thing.

Lips are sealed. I didn't mention it. Not one peep out of my mouth. Nope. Nada. Zilch. Goose egg. Uh nope! Ain't saying it. Yes sir buddy I am squeaky clean. Wouldn't even think about mentioning it.

:bandit:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is the best answer to the question of why nobody builds little trucks like the 4g any more. (Spoiler: It's the EPA and CAFE standards)
This guy lays it out in a short, but complete explanation, while avoiding a lot of complicated math.
Well, he does show one equation, and some graphs, but it's a really good presentation.
Hi Dave,

This is very interesting to me. When CAFE was first created it was a struggle for Ford to meet...We leaned out carburetors. Driveability suffered and customer complaints were rampant. It drove along with emissions to electronic engine controls. Then the carburetor said idaos as we had to have Electronically Fuel Injection... A good thing... Then Cafe standards became an issue and we had to stop big engine cars...Mustang for example, we could not offer big block Mustangs.

So here is the kicker for you folks to ponder. Before I retired, If we could show a 0.1 mpg improvement if Cafe, Ford was willing to invest $100,000,000. That is how important these stupid Gov't regulations became for Automotive Manufacturers to meet.

Best,
Phil

TuggerNutz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes
Same here, in the entire time I was out there they were pretty great trucks and got us around just fine. Until one of them got stolen. LOL ...

the Base MPs found it sitting between a couple of hooches and were pulling the tarp off of it when a marine SGT stuck his head out and asked them what the hell they thought they were doing? They asked him if it was his truck and he said yes. their response? No it isn't turn around and put your hands behind your back you are under arrest. turns out 3 marines had a friend transferring in and they wanted to provide him with his own transportation. Have no idea why those crayon eaters thought they could get away stealing it when they couldn't take it off the base.
😂 ours actually got taken by mistake. Apparently soldiers jumped in the wrong truck. The key was able to start it, but not for the return trip. They had to hoof it back 😂.

I used to mess with the Army guys with all the time. We'll come out of the DFAC and I would purposely walk to the wrong truck to see if they're paying attention. They'll get in buckle up and have confused look like a German Shepherd when I walk away laughing.

RedRocker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor, 2006 LJ Rubicon, 2013 Ram 3500 dually
Occupation
Retired Machinist/Fabricator
Yea but that is a Super Duty. Photo would have more credibility if it was a bottom trim current Tacoma behind that older gen Tacoma.

An actual photo with a legit comparison;

coma-drag-race-1st-vs-2nd-vs-3rd-gen-1-700x325-jpg.jpg

All 3 gens. Not much difference in the Tacomos.

Now old Ranger vs new Ranger, still not all that drastic; (height is the big difference)

img_2124-jpg.jpg

What people should bitch about are automatic inclusions of crap like lane keeping assist and pre-collision systems, etc etc

I promise that is adding thousands to the price tag that many people turn off those features when they buy the cars.

I'm not one of those "I want manual windows damnit!" people, I am all for electronics, but stop making me pay for the nanny stuff. Automatic high beams? Really? I'm sure the claim is all this stuff adds to overall safety, but I see it as making the driver dumber as time goes on.
I've never used all that lane alarm/crash stuff, I'm sure there's a ton of stuff on there that I don't even know exists.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Maybe sales of 4g Rangers were just going down.
2023-08-24_14-27-13.jpg

MaxE731

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Maintenance Technician
This is the best answer to the question of why nobody builds little trucks like the 4g any more. (Spoiler: It's the EPA and CAFE standards)
This guy lays it out in a short, but complete explanation, while avoiding a lot of complicated math.
Well, he does show one equation, and some graphs, but it's a really good presentation.
This is a great explanation. It makes perfect sense. I've been wondering about this for years.
Snip-it_1594927748105.jpg

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger ˋ19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
My '99 GMC Sonoma with its fire breathing 120hp/140ft/lb 2.2 liter 4 cylinder (5sp Man) supposedly got 29hwy, but I never saw it. My Ranger actually gets about the same overall mileage. Both were just RWD. Of course to move with traffic, I had to really get into it.

The Ranger is definitely nicer, but the Sonoma was more fun in an icy parking lot. It's open differential with no traction control could get me stuck anywhere though.
Sachma. Die Cops kommen da im Hinterland einfach so klar mit den Euro Nummernschildern aus Schland? …
Mit was aus Bielefeld hättest du aber schöner BOOM schreiben können 🤓

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Sachma. Die Cops kommen da im Hinterland einfach so klar mit den Euro Nummernschildern aus Schland? …
That's what he said. :p

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
In Kentucky müssen wir vorn keine Nummernschilder haben, so es ist den Cops egal, was wir vorne hinstellen. Ich habe ein Semester in Ludwigsburg studiert. Deswegen den Schild.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger ˋ19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2