Why don't we have actual small trucks any more? Best deep dive I've seen.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The government could screw up an anvil with a wet rag.
But not before having the EPA conduct an environmental impact study to make sure that neither the anvil nor the rag will introduce pollutants that could endanger the spotted tree rat.

After that is cleared, now the factories that produce the anvil and wet rag have to be scrutinized.

After a 10 year process, the anvil and wet rag are approved for production, after the Chinese have already been making cheaper anvils and wet rags for 9.5 years.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
But not before having the EPA conduct an environmental impact study to make sure that neither the anvil nor the rag will introduce pollutants that could endanger the spotted tree rat.

After that is cleared, now the factories that produce the anvil and wet rag have to be scrutinized.

After a 10 year process, the anvil and wet rag are approved for production, after the Chinese have already been making cheaper anvils and wet rags for 9.5 years.
Sad, but true!

ThatsAMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger Lariat 4x4, Triumph Bonneville T120
There's a guy from the gym I go to who drives around in one of these mini trucks from overseas. Would love to see these around more often. They're manual too so who needs fancy sensors and alarms when you already got theft protection!
Massachusetts allows these but they have to be a certain year in order to be purchased from what I remember the guy telling me. They go for <$10k which is great!
1997_Suzuki_Carry_4X4_left_front_profile.jpg

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
I didn't watch the video, but my take on trucks from today is that I live in Canada and our forests are burning, and towns are ablaze, and you just cant evacuate with all your possessions in a trailer towed behind a Maverick. Heck my Ranger isn't even up to the task.
But on the flip side, all those people jumping on the bandwagon for oil and gas to be shut down to save the world from global warming are all lining up for someone with a truck to help them get out since their Tesla's aren't doing it for them.
What a world we live in.
The irony of you advocating for larger, less efficient vehicles as a reponse to climate change is not lost on me.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
My first truly reliable vehicle was a 95 Nissan hardbody. I think it got about 24 mpg on average. Now sure what the 4cyl 5spd could pulled if I didn't drive it like a lunatic.

I miss cheap little trucks. Vinal floors, roll up windows, etc. So simple, the only thing I broke on that truck being a total moron was the clutch.. upps.. and a set of brakes. I don't think I did a great job of tracking its oil changes either...

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
My '99 GMC Sonoma with its fire breathing 120hp/140ft/lb 2.2 liter 4 cylinder (5sp Man) supposedly got 29hwy, but I never saw it. My Ranger actually gets about the same overall mileage. Both were just RWD. Of course to move with traffic, I had to really get into it.

The Ranger is definitely nicer, but the Sonoma was more fun in an icy parking lot. It's open differential with no traction control could get me stuck anywhere though.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
There's a guy from the gym I go to who drives around in one of these mini trucks from overseas. Would love to see these around more often. They're manual too so who needs fancy sensors and alarms when you already got theft protection!
Massachusetts allows these but they have to be a certain year in order to be purchased from what I remember the guy telling me. They go for <$10k which is great!
Not gonna lie, I'd likely trade my ranger in for one of those.

OP
OP
FunInTheSun

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
My previous "Ranger" It's the Mazda B3000. It was pretty great for me, but time takes a toll. It was needing paint, some transmission love, and the interior was falling apart. The driver's seat back broke, and that was all she wrote. This is the kind of truck I was hoping to get when I bought my lovely 2021 Ranger. The video explains why it's not gonna happen unless we rein in the nanny state.

IMG_7995.jpg

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate the nostalgia for a small truck and I’ve owned a couple, but from a functionality and usability standpoint, I don’t want anything smaller than my current Ranger.
I’m with you on that Rob. My first truck was this…

20220621-0944_001.jpeg

Sure, 4x4, 4-cyl., manual transmission, manual 4WD, small, fun, but it would do 0 to 60 in a tail wind. My next truck was as a 1991 Ranger - bigger truck, bigger motor by choice and necessity. A ‘96 and an ‘01 Ranger followed but the size of my 5g was a very welcome surprise - never going back.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

This seems outrageous, but this is not an exagerration.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
That looks soooo uncomfortable!