Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Hi Folks,

Here we go again.... When I hired into Ford we had in F Series 100, 250 350 And we had trim levels Custom, XL and XLT. The an array of options with caveats. You could not get super cool radiator unless you got an upgraded trans cooler...except not avail on XL..... and so on and so on.....Customers hated this menu....Sort of like the fancy restaurant with a 200 bottle wine list...

So we started grouping things into packages to make things easier for the customer to order. Up side is the caveats are minimized and the downside is folks get features they do not need or want.

Bronco is trending in the pendulum swinging back to the plethora of options. Sheesh....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I usually defer to your knowledge, however the Bronco is the KING of the trim level structure.

There are 6 levels of trim, and all options are locked to trim level except for one, the Sasquatch package, it's the only option available regardless of trim level.

It's a subject that drove me insane for 6 months, so it's near and dear to my heart.

Their lunacy had me weighing a $35k purchase vs. a $48k purchase because it was literally all or virtually nothing.

It seems to be the trend currently. Go to Ridgeline or Tacoma build and price. They have several models with different equipment combinations, very few factory options, and endless catalogs of dealer installs.
Ohh, you're right, it's not just Ford.

I hate it but I get it.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
While I understand that it would be complete chaos to allow it, I've always wished I could just pick and choose everything that I did or didn't want on a vehicle. I hate the fact that if you add something you want, it may cause the removal of something else because you can't mix "packages." This is probably the reason I have never ordered a new vehicle, before this truck, and have always just bought off the lot.
Hi Tony,

To a point I understand your wish...I would say that if you could pick and choose and be done might be acceptable, but to pick and find out it cannot be done because of a conflict with another option leads to the confusion and frustration. Love the blackout look but want chrome wheels...Nope can't do...(made up example).

Doug brought up the models of the Bronco and I frankly have not researched as I have no interest in the Bronco, I got the impression from my internal emails about all the options available on the Bronco and it appears the options are now bundled which makes sense but the gist (read hype) was that each person ordering a Bronco can make it their "Unique" vehicle...maybe not so true....So much for Marketing pablum...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired