Why Does the Tacoma Dominate the Off-Road Pickup Segment?

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I think there's quite a bit of brand loyalty out there and many people just think US built vehicles are inferior to the overseas manufactures. Advertising too is a big thing. I liken this to Bose speakers, some people think they are the greatest ever but in reality they certainly are not and are way overpriced. Why do people buy them? Because they advertise the crap out of them, they even have a Bose Store. Ever see any other speaker companies have a commercial or their own store? Toyota advertised and sold lots of trucks while Ford dropped out of the market.
BINGO!! DING DING DING!!!!!

You said in two words: Brand Loyalty

Come on guys, we are all guilty of exactly that.

Now, some may argue that they are not brand loyal. What do you think Ford Forum members are going to do? Bash everyone else. That's to be expected.

I'm sure Chevy, Yota and other forums do the same to everyone else.

It is what it is.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if I ever mentioned but your truck look amazing. Great job in putting it all together.
Haha...thanks much for the compliment Jim...ya made my day ? ?

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
Toyota trucks have been prized for offroad capability, simplicty,and durabikity since the early 80s. Early on. they were easily modified and oversize 31 inch tires were simple to add - unlike the other makers they added 31s as a factory option in the late 80s. Toyota has continued to invest and develop technology that builds on their legacy and leadership.

BRETT

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I'm not sure if Tacoma truly dominates the off road pickup segment any more than it does the mid-size pickup segment. Ranger/Colorado sales are strong, but they don't compare to Tacoma. More tacos sold = you see more tacos on the road = you see more tacos off road. More sales also means that there's a bigger aftermarket scene. I think the sales are just a result of Toyota's reliability, "cool factor" associated with Toyota trucks, and the loyalty that the brand receives when Toyota did a great job marketing and engineering a decent midsize truck for 15+ years when the Big 3 completely ignored the segment.

But ugh. Ok, mini rant here. I hate the Tacoma and will refuse to ever buy one because I KNOW Toyota can make a better truck if they wanted to. They simply made the cheapest truck they could to barely meet industry trends, while simply marketing the Toyota truck "cool" factor and reliability. Let me explain.

The most obvious example of castrating the Tacoma is the C-channel frame. Toyota claims it's to reduce weight, but clearly payload is suffering from it (Ranger even outhauls the Tundra) and fuel economy hasn't improved from it. And Toyota KNOWS that fully boxed frames are beneficial: 4Runner, Lexus GX, FJ, Hilux, Land Cruiser, original Toyota Pickup ALL have fully boxed frames! Not to mention the rest of the body on frame segment has fully boxed frames.

And then there's all the smaller things that Toyota just didn't bother with in 2019 (when I bought my Ranger, I know Toyota has implemented some of the following): Wimpy powertrain, plastic bumpers, uncomfortable manual-only seats, no Apple Carplay/Android Auto, poor fuel economy, below average tow/haul figures, DRUM BRAKES, etc.

If you look at the details of the Hilux, you know that Toyota knows what they need to do to make a real midsize truck competitor. Instead, they just leveraged their reputation and built a sub-par truck. I hope that the resurgence of midsize truck competition from the Big 3 will encourage Toyota to make a vastly improved next gen Taco.
Yup my ranger towing more and better mpg and not having plastic bumpers and bed did it for me... the Tacoma might have the ranger in off-road do to chassis or suspension but unless your doing SERIOUS off-road which 80% of us aren’t... but whenever I get on the gas of my ranger it puts a smile on my face, that NO Tacoma owner can say... I love it when Tacomas try to race me... plus we are in AMERICA nothing like driving a FORD...

BRETT

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Yup my ranger towing more and better mpg and not having plastic bumpers and bed did it for me... the Tacoma might have the ranger in off-road do to chassis or suspension but unless your doing SERIOUS off-road which 80% of us aren’t... but whenever I get on the gas of my ranger it puts a smile on my face, that NO Tacoma owner can say... I love it when Tacomas try to race me... plus we are in AMERICA nothing like driving a FORD... I may be getting biased now but the ranger and all fords for that matter just seem so much more CLASSY then most

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
I consider myself brand loyal as I had 4 Rangers before I bought my 2nd gen Tacoma, which had 100k when I bought it and 200k when I sold it. Great truck, and I may well have stayed with Toyota. But the the 3rd gen was/is a big letdown in several areas, while the Ranger upped its game. It feels good seeing the blue oval again.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
Toyota has updated there products just like everyone else does. Maybe they missed the mark on the newer Tacoma's?? 2 years was the shortest time we've ever owned a new vehicle when we got rid of the taco... Oh well.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Does toyota remove features from the Tacoma every year? Asking for a friend.
Sponsored