Why Does the Tacoma Dominate the Off-Road Pickup Segment?

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
And you have an engineering degree and work in the automotive industry. lol I was doing it before you were born at Ford and GM. They have never cared about the customer. Only $$$
So which is it? Do you hate Fords because of their engineering or your perceived money grubbing ways?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
If I had bought a 2nd gen Tacoma I'd probably still be driving it. The 3rd gen drivetrain is one of the worst I've ever driven and yes the seating position is God awful too! I could never drive any long distance with that truck. When we went to CO summer of '19 I rented a car because I hated driving it for any length of time. One good thing though while we were in CO I met a lady at the gas station with a brand new Saber Ranger. Talked her ear off for about an hour and 3 weeks later I bought mine. :rockon:
But did you get her number? ?

frmtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Crew 2wd (301a, Trailer Tow, Locker)
Fundamentally, the limiting factors are usually
1. How willing you are to beat up your ride
2. Geometry/size ā€” all the midsize trucks are fairly close, but I think the ranger has slightly better departure angles. This still boils down to how far you can go without worrying about beating up your ride.

Iā€™ve ridden in FWD Tatas and Diahatsus on harsher terrain than most people will take a new truck, because the driver is willing to scrape it up, is good at routefinding, and occasionally the passengers get out and push.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
If he was up by Winslow Az it might have been that "girl my lord in a flat bed Ford"

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
When I was shopping for my truck I looked at and drove the Tacoma. Found the Ranger to be much more refined.

What did impress with the Tacoma's was the stack of frames behind one of the dealers waiting to be installed. They certainly did the right thing with their customers.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
an ex-coworker and sorta friend just bought himself a Tacoma.
I didnt rib him about it much. I figured he was a follower, not a leader with his work ethics. I assumed it transferred into his personal life as well.
the Tacomas are a dime a dozen around here. I'm not surprised he went that route
so sad to hear that, can't stop the tears. apparently he just couldn't be saved and will suffer through many yrs of Tacoma ownership.

Cavebat87

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Ford Service Advisor
Vehicle Showcase
When you see TRD Pro, do you see a professional turd?

Just sayin'
When I'm walking my dogs and I see TRD, is that a proper receptical for the bag of dog TRDS I'm most likely carrying?
Sponsored