John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
id like to see a ranger off road club in my area. its all jeepers here.
I'd take any agnostic club. All Jeep clubs here too and not the kind that welcomes everyone - militantly Jeep only.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
In a state like WV that's great.

Here in Colorado, we have millions of public trails. And the people who treat the land the worst are the clubs.

They make a big show of trying to fill up their Trasharoos along the way. Then they proceed to tear up the landscape with their "dispersed camping."

After the out of staters, the clubs are the worst.

From the land of the Curse of Chief Niwot, be careful what you ask for.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
It may bring in the dollars but eventually these guys will just start tearing new paths, destroying the land.

Any time I see off-road trails I see it littered with garbage.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
yep I've encountered the Jeep clubs several times on the back roads, as many as several dozen all following in line, not my idea of enjoying the outdoors.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
In a state like WV that's great.

Here in Colorado, we have millions of public trails. And the people who treat the land the worst are the clubs.

They make a big show of trying to fill up their Trasharoos along the way. Then they proceed to tear up the landscape with their "dispersed camping."

After the out of staters, the clubs are the worst.

From the land of the Curse of Chief Niwot, be careful what you ask for.
I do envy the western states and at the same time feel bad for you - having people treat your natural resources like trash is the worst. I loathe people who ruin it for everyone else. I used to go to South Dakota a lot for a previous job and they had a ton of great trails and forest roads. Because of the SxS craze and the people who saw a video about overlanding and decided to do it, so many trails have been torn up by misuse and abuse that they are closing trails left and right.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I do envy the western states and at the same time feel bad for you - having people treat your natural resources like trash is the worst. I loathe people who ruin it for everyone else. I used to go to South Dakota a lot for a previous job and they had a ton of great trails and forest roads. Because of the SxS craze and the people who saw a video about overlanding and decided to do it, so many trails have been torn up by misuse and abuse that they are closing trails left and right.
For sure.

Remember. South Dakota invited this with their laws and legislation. By allowing SxSs on the road if tagged AND by allowing out of state residents to register a vehicle there. They also inadvertently invited the problem to Utah, who allows tagged ATVs on the road but doesn't allow out of state refistration.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the big increase in populations in Western Sates comes an increase in miscreants and adding to this is the big increase in off road capable vehicles. But the Forest Services resources that patrol these areas have on the whole remained the same. Even the barriers that are constructed to block access to close roads is seen as a challenge for some and they go right around or even cut the gate locks - happened 3 times last summer to a friend who lives on a road that has a locked gate for emergency access to public land - signage clearly states "no access to public land" . And a good number of these off roaders disregard right of way and common courtesy, these are usually the ones that litter as well.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Some bad impressions about off road clubs out there. Must be different out here in the desert. The majority of people here understand the desert ecology and clubs I have interacted in treat the desert with respect.

One off-road club out here puts on a very large annual weekend run called the hump and bump. They have done it for decades. When you register you are gives oil absorbent towels to
clean up any vehicle spills. Like if you peel back your diff cover and dump all oil.

I have seen members stop on trail to pick up some trash along the way. It’s just what you do out here.

My power plant is right next to the annual Mint 400 mile desert race staging area. This event has with everything from SxS to trophy trucks being followed by helicopters.

After these events there is trash. So each year the local trash company supports off-roaders that volunteer one day to pick up trash.

Results by Year:
= 14.54 tons (29,080 lbs)
2018 = 22.06 tons (44,120 lbs)
2019 = 34.46 tons (68,920 lbs)
2020 = 25.00 tons (50,000 lbs)
2021 = 28.84 tons (57,680 lbs)
6 Year Event Total = 124.90 tons (249,800 lbs)

Short video…

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Certainly commendable that your club cleans the trash, in the past I have participated in N'tl Forest cleanup days and intend to join the San Juan Association of volunteers in my new community. There are numerous volunteer areas including cleanup and education activities.

Here in Colorado the worst trash I've encountered appears to be from hunters and/or large dispersed campsites, but with the recent trend of increased use of public lands the problem has worsened and the national forest service employees have to spend more time on cleanup than in past yrs.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i wish they would start crazy heavy fines and then banning people from public land and removing permits. the few places in texas that are public are basically trashed by shit bag people. if i was in charge littering would be automatic 5k fine. caught doing it again no more d.l. no more h.l. no more carry permits- ever. shitty people that get away with it make it a habit. really pisses me off. im out in the boonies as often as possible and i always always always take out all of my trash. no joke i keep a bag in the bag of the truck just for "used" tp... i dont even agree with diggin a hole for the tp. also a good security system when the truck bed stinks like yesterdays chili dog and onions...

RedRocker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor, 2006 LJ Rubicon, 2013 Ram 3500 dually
Occupation
Retired Machinist/Fabricator
i wish they would start crazy heavy fines and then banning people from public land and removing permits. the few places in texas that are public are basically trashed by shit bag people. if i was in charge littering would be automatic 5k fine. caught doing it again no more d.l. no more h.l. no more carry permits- ever. shitty people that get away with it make it a habit. really pisses me off. im out in the boonies as often as possible and i always always always take out all of my trash. no joke i keep a bag in the bag of the truck just for "used" tp... i dont even agree with diggin a hole for the tp. also a good security system when the truck bed stinks like yesterdays chili dog and onions...
'
I'm guessing your friends keep you at the back if the line. :)