Why do people like roof top tents so much?

OP
OP
biggestjosh

biggestjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
It says a lot about the attitude of the reader........

You know like starting an Entire thread about something you do not agree with.

Whats the point? Why would a super camper such as yourself care what other people do? You started an entire thread based on putting people down. You did not simply ask why some prefer or chose to go the RTT route. You went the "I'm a super camper and don't need to waste money on that" route.

Then to top it off, when someone replies with real and solid reasons why RTT is chosen, you come back with "I'm a super camper. I never needed one" type of reply

So again why start this thread if your just gonna pump your chest and put people down? Is this how you always engage in a normal conversation?

And, I do not have a RTT. Never stated I did. Just answering questions you posted. But thanks this the "I'm a better camper than you" reply. It was most helpful.

I can see the benefits. For the reasons I posted. Period. The end.
When you put it that way, I totally sound like a douchebag, don't I? TBH, I was in the process of researching options for installing a RTT on my truck but then discovered how pricey they were which is why I started the thread. They seem fun and can look pretty cool, plus I bet it is nice to just park, toss open the tent, and climb in.

But seeing how expensive they are I just got to wondering why I wouldn't just get a cheap used trailer when I want to bring some more luxury when camping or traveling. But then I started thinking about all the cons of towing a trailer, which got me thinking that there must be some more reasons people like roof top tents that I just haven't thought about because I've never used one before.

I don't think of myself as a "super camper", and now that I'm getting older and have a kid I'm trying to think of ways I can keep exploring and camping but maybe make life a bit comfy for my kid.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
It says a lot about the attitude of the reader........

You know like starting an Entire thread about something you do not agree with.

Whats the point? Why would a super camper such as yourself care what other people do? You started an entire thread based on putting people down. You did not simply ask why some prefer or chose to go the RTT route. You went the "I'm a super camper and don't need to waste money on that" route.

Then to top it off, when someone replies with real and solid reasons why RTT is chosen, you come back with "I'm a super camper. I never needed one" type of reply

So again why start this thread if your just gonna pump your chest and put people down? Is this how you always engage in a normal conversation?

And, I do not have a RTT. Never stated I did. Just answering questions you posted. But thanks this the "I'm a better camper than you" reply. It was most helpful.

I can see the benefits. For the reasons I posted. Period. The end.
c'mon man show a super camper a little respect and give him some latitude. I always get out of the way and pay homage to super hikers, super mtn bike riders, super mtn climbers, super off roaders and super campers. With the influx of newcomers to Colorado the back country here is chock full of super duper outdoor types, some even occasionally rough it in their tricked out RVs and turn off their generators at the required time. Love stopping at mtn watering holes to hear of their super exploits . Have a super good evening.

VentureRanger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
I personally like them for a sense of security, I camp alone frequently and it gives me a little more peace in my mind. Especially in cougar/bear country.

Plus I managed to do it relatively cheap, I think I paid around just under $2000CAD for the tent and bed Rack. Seems to work well so far. Planning on doing a cross Canada then down the west coast and back up through the desert and rockies in the late summer/fall for over month long trip.

Sure there are Pro's and cons. Though the biggest pro for me was the quick tear down. though taking it off when I'm not using it is a con.

Trailers weren't really in my budget.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
I have one on my mental wish list because I like the idea that once I get my truck back to that hidden spot on the river, I can set it up without having to also locate a patch of ground for a regular tent set up.

trmkars

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
photos.project395.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT Stuff
Vehicle Showcase
I have a RTT and it is very convenient when camping at the track or other places in the great outdoors.

The bed rack high enough that I can still use the bed of the truck for just about anything else I need to carry. The tent is slightly above the cab, and the MPG difference hasn't been an issue (adding taller tires and the lift is what really hurt the gas mileage).

1617686344736.png

1617686450004.png

1617686541499.png

A RTT isn't for everyone. This one however is currently working for me.

Last edited:

GreyThumper

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor, a BMW R1200GS, a BMW R1150R
I don't get roof top tents either. Makes sense I guess if you're the type to just stay in one place the whole weekend, and your vehicle is almost exclusively for camping/overlanding. I like to setup camp then drive somewhere to go trailing, or get to a better fishing/swimming spot, etc. Plus I also use my truck to get to work (underground parking), so they're not for me.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
We decided to split the difference so to say.

We got an 8 ft ARB awning and we will combine that with the extra walls with Kamprite tent cots.

ARBAwningGearEtc0513_0049.jpg

+

Kamp_Rite_Double_Tent_Cot.jpg

A few years down road I want to upgrade to a poleless batwing system.

DSC00804-Fit.png

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, black package
Eh.. Its just comes down to preference. Read through 7 pages of how you guys like to camp, If you are talking about a trip taking you thousands of miles around the US, Im sure after staking down a tent for the 5th time, you'll be wishing you had one that could just open up and close within a minute, and stays in place rather than packing it up and tossing in the back of the bed.

As for weight. Really? What is your ranger rated to haul? Does it matter what added weight does to it? And gas. If you do not have the money for gas, camp in the backyard.

And what about camping with a campfire vs. a propane stove for cooking? Convenience, preference?

If you are camping for the weekend, take a half shelter and a buddy with his. But if you are bouncing from campsite to campsite, its a pain having to account for tent poles, guide lines, tent stakes each time you set up and tear down. Just a matter of preferences, that's all.

OP
OP
biggestjosh

biggestjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
A few years down road I want to upgrade to a poleless batwing system.
I like the setup you've got now, nice to have both an awning as well as walls to have a spot to hangout during stormy weather. Any particular reason why you're wanting to upgrade to the poleless batwing system instead?

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
Nice and Easy setup for me. This is one week after I purchased my Ranger. In fact I purchased the RTT before purchasing the Ranger. I already knew that I would love camping up there before I had a vehicle to put it on!

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200604060832667_COVER.jpg

adubs916

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Account Manager
Is there something I'm not understanding here? I do a TON of camping, all over the place, but I just can't wrap my head around spending a few grand for a rack and tent system when I can just bust out my trusty $200 REI tent and set that up in a few minutes.

It seems the pros are:
  • Quick to set up (just pop it open)

Cons:
  • Added weight
  • Added wind resistance
  • Have to climb a ladder to get into the tent (cumbersome when drinking or carrying an animal/child into the tent)
  • Can only sleep on top of your truck (i.e. can't set up your tent anywhere you want that your truck might not be able to navigate to)
  • Cost

I assume there are other pros that I'm not considering, but on the surface it just seems like a huge waste of money for something that adds minimal benefits while conversely introducing lots of detriments.
Personally I'm currently doing a lot of research and "window shopping" for a bed top tent. I find it a bit funny this thread got this long so quick with such strong negative opinions. RTT's are expensive and to some may be a waste of money, but really this is just outfitting your ride and experience how each person sees fit for them and their family (and budget). Much like many members throw all sorts of money away on suspension mods, different wheels/tires, bumpers, air box mods, programmers, etc. and then don't use those mods for it's developed/intended purpose. It's all good! I don't think we all need to fit our Rangers in the same box.

adubs916

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Account Manager
Nice and Easy setup for me. This is one week after I purchased my Ranger. In fact I purchased the RTT before purchasing the Ranger. I already knew that I would love camping up there before I had a vehicle to put it on!

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200604060832667_COVER.jpg
I like your setup, Is that the H.C. 55" or 63"? Did you look into or consider any of the hard shell types?

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I like your setup, Is that the H.C. 55" or 63"? Did you look into or consider any of the hard shell types?
High Country 55. It fits the 5' bed perfectly.

I did consider a hard shell. I still am actually. The problem is that I would have to A.) Use a cab height rack. or B.) Install a cap like the one from RSI. I want the RSI cap and if I do that then I will definitely get a hard shell RTT.

I like the clam shell with my setup because I can use a mid height rack. This allows for a lower center of gravity which is great offroad and I can still see plenty out of my rear view mirror.

IMHO, FSR has the best tents on the market. I would consider changing brands only if it were for one of the integrated canopy/tent options out there. Something like GFC or AluCab. Otherwise FSR is far better than the competition.
Sponsored