Why do people like roof top tents so much?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
There are pros and cons for RTT's. Some of them even valid and legit.

But most people that I know that have one do it because that RTT looks super rugged sitting on top their truck in the mall parking lot. "Look at me! I'm an adventure guy. I go camping in the wilderness all the time."
yep real men pitch their tents on the ground, aren't afraid to do battle with bears and don't have to make a display of their ruggedness by lugging around a rooftop tent on their vehicle and they don't pee in bottle, gatorade or otherwise. :sunglasses:
Sponsored

GrinchsDog

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Mach1
Here’s my opinion on the whole thing. Last year I purchased my Ranger(first truck) with the sole intent on it being for overlanding/off-roading. Sure, I could’ve spent a couple hundred bucks on a tent from Walmart/Amazon, rather than $3,500 on a CVT Mt. Shasta and KB Voodoo rack. Mind you I’m new to this whole camping thing. So the Walmart tent probably would’ve been the much wiser investment, but in reality I love the times I have used the roof top tent. And it certainly is a great talking piece when people see it on the truck or watch me set it up at the campgrounds.

Yes, I would’ve loved an off-road capable teardrop trailer. Hell, even something like a Winnebago micro Minnie would be sweet. Then again, I don’t have the space now to store even small trailer to dump trash with. In the future I would like to pick up an xventure style trailer to mount the tent on top of. In the mean time if I need to use the bed of my truck for dumping, moving, etc. all it takes is four bolts and the rack/tent set up comes off.

The way I see it, there’s always the cheaper alternative. Yes, I went the expensive route when I could’ve purchased a cheap ground tent. Same way as I could’ve just gone the XL 4x4 route instead of XLT FX4. Will breaking down the tent in the rain be a pain in the ass? Certainly. Then again doing almost anything in the rain is a pain in the ass.

200CB8E4-B952-4A3D-BFE1-52311A595703.jpeg

8AB01567-7ADE-4219-A966-74641B77D2FB.jpeg

8FC9D586-C259-4929-BB83-A63F8711A9DB.jpeg
I like the way you phrased this. Absolutely there are cheaper options for camping. There are also way cheaper options for trucks but here we all are with brand new trucks when I'm sure we could have saved money by buying a ten-year-old Taco. :)

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I like the way you phrased this. Absolutely there are cheaper options for camping. There are also way cheaper options for trucks but here we all are with brand new trucks when I'm sure we could have saved money by buying a ten-year-old Taco. :)
Sorry, but no facts allowed when we are having a discussion based on emotions. :sunglasses:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
maybe not, Tacos are reputed to have extremely high resale value. My son paid almost as much for his 2016 TRD Pro with 50k miles as I did for my Lariat. I thought I raised him with more common sense, he must take after his mother.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Here’s my opinion on the whole thing. Last year I purchased my Ranger(first truck) with the sole intent on it being for overlanding/off-roading. Sure, I could’ve spent a couple hundred bucks on a tent from Walmart/Amazon, rather than $3,500 on a CVT Mt. Shasta and KB Voodoo rack. Mind you I’m new to this whole camping thing. So the Walmart tent probably would’ve been the much wiser investment, but in reality I love the times I have used the roof top tent. And it certainly is a great talking piece when people see it on the truck or watch me set it up at the campgrounds.

Yes, I would’ve loved an off-road capable teardrop trailer. Hell, even something like a Winnebago micro Minnie would be sweet. Then again, I don’t have the space now to store even small trailer to dump trash with. In the future I would like to pick up an xventure style trailer to mount the tent on top of. In the mean time if I need to use the bed of my truck for dumping, moving, etc. all it takes is four bolts and the rack/tent set up comes off.

The way I see it, there’s always the cheaper alternative. Yes, I went the expensive route when I could’ve purchased a cheap ground tent. Same way as I could’ve just gone the XL 4x4 route instead of XLT FX4. Will breaking down the tent in the rain be a pain in the ass? Certainly. Then again doing almost anything in the rain is a pain in the ass.
How long has your RTT been on your truck and how many times have you used it for camping?

There are pros and cons for RTT's. Some of them even valid and legit.

But most people that I know that have one do it because that RTT looks super rugged sitting on top their truck in the mall parking lot. "Look at me! I'm an adventure guy. I go camping in the wilderness all the time." Ask any RTT owner about their tent and most of them an only name three or four times they used it for camping. The rest of the time they pop it up at Little League Practice so the kids can have a fort to occupy them while an older sibling plays ball.

There is a very narrow segment that they work for, but it's no where near as big as the market for them. I do, however, think they are genius when added to a Camping Trailer. Mom and Dad sleep in the tear drop and kids bunk-out in the RTT on top. A family of five can easily fit in a small trailer like that.
This all day.

RTTs are to BroDawgs as chassis mounted wings are to Ricers.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
How long has your RTT been on your truck and how many times have you used it for camping?
The tent and rack have been mounted since October. Since then I have enjoyed it for three camping weekends, as well as a couple single nights. My brother and I are planning another trip for hopefully the end of April or May. And in October we are looking at attending the Overland Expo East in Virginia.

Now some of the nights camping have been at a campsite which ran between $25-$30 a night. Most of the time has been dispersed which has cost us nothing.

OP
OP
biggestjosh

biggestjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
They get you off the ground.

What if you are in a very rocky area? Ice or snow? What about animals that view you as dinner?

Not everyone camps only at campgrounds
That's certainly one approach to camping in these situations, though I would disagree with the assessment that a RTT enables you to camp in less comfortable settings. I've been perfectly comfortable in rocky areas, on ice and snow, surrounded by animals, in the jungles of Indonesia during a monsoon, in a snow cave at 10,000 feet, under the stars in the Alps, and in pretty much any other terrain you could think of, sleeping on the ground. Hell, I've even slept in a portaledge tent a few hundred feet up a rock face.

If you're happy with your RTT, good on you, I'm genuinely happy you have something you enjoy. But I think it's pretty silly to think that a RTT is what enables you to camp in places other than campgrounds, and even sillier to look down on people who do only camp at campgrounds.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The tent and rack have been mounted since October. Since then I have enjoyed it for three camping weekends, as well as a couple single nights. My brother and I are planning another trip for hopefully the end of April or May. And in October we are looking at attending the Overland Expo East in Virginia.

Now some of the nights camping have been at a campsite which ran between $25-$30 a night. Most of the time has been dispersed which has cost us nothing.
Not sure how I spaced off replying to you.

But you get my seal of approval for you RTT usage. If a person uses it once or twice a year they're a poser and should put it in the garage instead of driving around with year round with it.

But, you, Sir are NOT faking the funk!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Maybe we'll finally be able to enjoy our favorite outdoor spots again without them being overrun or destroyed by so many darn people.
I'm waiting for that day. :rolleyes:

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It seems the pros are:
  • Quick to set up (just pop it open)

Cons:
  • Added weight
  • Added wind resistance
  • Have to climb a ladder to get into the tent (cumbersome when drinking or carrying an animal/child into the tent)
  • Can only sleep on top of your truck (i.e. can't set up your tent anywhere you want that your truck might not be able to navigate to)
  • Cost
In addition to what you posted...
Pros:
-has a mattress installed in it. Mine is very comfortable!
-can be pre-rigged with lights and other interior conveniences
-may not be away from bears, but it is away from other critters
-no need for a cot, additional mattress, or even sleeping bags (in most cases) to be packed
-quick to put away
-not having to pack a tent in the bed of the truck saves more cargo room in the bed

Cons:
-have to pack it up to move the truck
-not tall enough to stand up and move around in (have to add an annex for that)

I'm a Kool-Aid drinker. ? HAHAHA
2021-01-02 11.52.08.jpg

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Not sure how I spaced off replying to you.

But you get my seal of approval for you RTT usage. If a person uses it once or twice a year they're a poser and should put it in the garage instead of driving around with year round with it.

But, you, Sir are NOT faking the funk!
I definitely wanted to get my money’s worth with it. At the end of the day, I bought the truck with the intent of taking it overlanding/camping. My previous cars were 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2013 Subaru WRX Hatchback, & 2016 Subaru WRX STI. So the day I no longer feel the need todo the camping thing, I won’t have a need for the truck.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
That's certainly one approach to camping in these situations, though I would disagree with the assessment that a RTT enables you to camp in less comfortable settings. I've been perfectly comfortable in rocky areas, on ice and snow, surrounded by animals, in the jungles of Indonesia during a monsoon, in a snow cave at 10,000 feet, under the stars in the Alps, and in pretty much any other terrain you could think of, sleeping on the ground. Hell, I've even slept in a portaledge tent a few hundred feet up a rock face.

If you're happy with your RTT, good on you, I'm genuinely happy you have something you enjoy. But I think it's pretty silly to think that a RTT is what enables you to camp in places other than campgrounds, and even sillier to look down on people who do only camp at campgrounds.
Dude, get over yourself. I am not the one putting anyone down.

OP
OP
biggestjosh

biggestjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Dude, get over yourself. I am not the one putting anyone down.
Sorry if I read too much into your first comment, but when you said "Not everyone camps only at campgrounds", it sounded like you were turning your nose up at those folks who only camp at campgrounds, and also that anyone who doesn't have a RTT doesn't understand what it's like to not camp at a campground.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry if I read too much into your first comment, but when you said "Not everyone camps only at campgrounds", it sounded like you were turning your nose up at those folks who only camp at campgrounds, and also that anyone who doesn't have a RTT doesn't understand what it's like to not camp at a campground.
It says a lot about the attitude of the reader........

You know like starting an Entire thread about something you do not agree with.

Whats the point? Why would a super camper such as yourself care what other people do? You started an entire thread based on putting people down. You did not simply ask why some prefer or chose to go the RTT route. You went the "I'm a super camper and don't need to waste money on that" route.

Then to top it off, when someone replies with real and solid reasons why RTT is chosen, you come back with "I'm a super camper. I never needed one" type of reply

So again why start this thread if your just gonna pump your chest and put people down? Is this how you always engage in a normal conversation?

And, I do not have a RTT. Never stated I did. Just answering questions you posted. But thanks this the "I'm a better camper than you" reply. It was most helpful.

I can see the benefits. For the reasons I posted. Period. The end.
Sponsored