Why do people like roof top tents so much?

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I don't have any pics due to a 'forgot to backup disk before reformat' malfunction, but I used a bed tent. I had a 'Hatteras rack' on the front of the truck similar to the one below, but the one pictured is a baby to what I have. It is a custom built aluminum rack that held all my gear, cooler, water containers, etc. It is huge. Will eventually be selling it once I dig it out of the garage.

I could drive around the beach for days with the tent set up in the bed.

download.png

Here's is one more like it, but even this one is small.

rod rack pick.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I have never done it. But seems like … no wet ground, level, no rocks, no spiders, no scorpions, no snakes, etc. lastly it is the new cool fad. ?
Theres a much cheaper option, its a bed tent. And afterwards you can still use your truck for home chores.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
if it was me I would go with a small Airstream Trailer. Not very off road but very comfortable ?
Was considering this... we pulled an Airstream 31' about 15 years ago for a year and a half all over N. Amer. So was thinking of getting a Bambi or even a Basecamp (though I've heard they have reliability issues) -- but ... have you checked out pricing lately?! I don't want a white box camper either, and the overland tents are cool but holy sh*t they are $$$ for what you get. The Canopy Camper solution is looking better and better.

McDeuce

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Was considering this... we pulled an Airstream 31' about 15 years ago for a year and a half all over N. Amer. So was thinking of getting a Bambi or even a Basecamp (though I've heard they have reliability issues) -- but ... have you checked out pricing lately?! I don't want a white box camper either, and the overland tents are cool but holy sh*t they are $$$ for what you get. The Canopy Camper solution is looking better and better.
I know Miles … they are crazy expensive and no deals on used. I just like them, they have style. I looked at 16’ Bambi, just really pricey.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Looks like a calliope.

You a shriner?

Seriously, what's the purpose of the vertical tubes?
Fishing rods. On the east coast, particularly from NC and north, you need long, stiff, rods (har har) to chuck out bait and 8oz of weight. And, even, long spinning gear to get out heavy spoons, etc, out past the breaks. You need to have a place to put that stuff... just don't drive through a 'brew thru', don't ask how I know.

These are common on the east coast. You keep your rods, coolers, and gear easily accessible up front.

The good fisherman (not me) can load up those huge rods and chuck a bait a long long way out into what we call the washing machine. Really rough water, where the big fish feed.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
I know Miles … they are crazy expensive and no deals on used. I just like them, they have style. I looked at 16’ Bambi, just really pricey.
Would love one of these -- wicked cool. But even if I had $60k+ Canadian that I was willing to blow on a trailer (and I don't) I just can't justify it value wise. Beyond the clverly and well designed shell and popup, you're really just getting a bunch of commodity stuff like Dometic fridge and sink/stove combo which are both pretty easy to install. Really leaning toward Canopy Camper now and building my own interior fitments.

https://taxaoutdoors.com/habitats/mantis/

McDeuce

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Would love one of these -- wicked cool. But even if I had $60k+ Canadian that I was willing to blow on a trailer (and I don't) I just can't justify it value wise. Beyond the clverly and well designed shell and popup, you're really just getting a bunch of commodity stuff like Dometic fridge and sink/stove combo which are both pretty easy to install. Really leaning toward Canopy Camper now and building my own interior fitments.

https://taxaoutdoors.com/habitats/mantis/
I have never seen these. Very cool!

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Is there something I'm not understanding here? I do a TON of camping, all over the place, but I just can't wrap my head around spending a few grand for a rack and tent system when I can just bust out my trusty $200 REI tent and set that up in a few minutes.

It seems the pros are:
  • Quick to set up (just pop it open)

Cons:
  • Added weight
  • Added wind resistance
  • Have to climb a ladder to get into the tent (cumbersome when drinking or carrying an animal/child into the tent)
  • Can only sleep on top of your truck (i.e. can't set up your tent anywhere you want that your truck might not be able to navigate to)
  • Cost

I assume there are other pros that I'm not considering, but on the surface it just seems like a huge waste of money for something that adds minimal benefits while conversely introducing lots of detriments.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
I can't see spending $1400 for a rooftop tent when a 6 person tent (that sleeps 2 comfortably) cost me $69.97 at Walmart. Add an air mattress, dining canopy, folding table and chairs, cooking implements, and we're good. Most of our camping is at NASCAR and NHRA races and I'll be tenting at the Ford Nationals this week. The day is coming when we're getting a small trailer so we can have A/C, heat, and better rain protection.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
I can't see spending $1400 for a rooftop tent when a 6 person tent (that sleeps 2 comfortably) cost me $69.97 at Walmart. Add an air mattress, dining canopy, folding table and chairs, cooking implements, and we're good. Most of our camping is at NASCAR and NHRA races and I'll be tenting at the Ford Nationals this week. The day is coming when we're getting a small trailer so we can have A/C, heat, and better rain protection.
Yes, but have you considered...

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Yes, but have you considered...

Bad idea to leave the food out. Sleep in a tent either on the roof or ground but keep the food on the truck. Not real likely to encounter bears at Lowe's Motor Speedway or Bristol. Then there's my cousin who lives in the country and posts videos on Facebook of the black bear that lives in his back yard. If you are likely to encounter bears then keep a powerful gun on your person.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Bad idea to leave the food out. Sleep in a tent either on the roof or ground but keep the food on the truck. Not real likely to encounter bears at Lowe's Motor Speedway or Bristol. Then there's my cousin who lives in the country and posts videos on Facebook of the black bear that lives in his back yard. If you are likely to encounter bears then keep a powerful gun on your person.
No, keep the food in a bag hoisted into the trees. Anything on the ground, or in the truck, is bear chow.
Sponsored

Last edited: