First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Or... don't use one... no one cares. Everyone can maintain their ride how they want, and walnut blasting when you start experiencing CELs or just bad idle, and performance for no real reason... is definitely an option.
Again I simply asked for documented proof on the Ranger that’s all.
Sponsored

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Where’s the proof? I’ve never seen a documented problem on a Ranger.
I tend to agree with you. I had a 13 Focus ST and I put a catch can on it. Ran good till I purchaed a 17 Focus ST. Did NOT install a catch can. Ran just as good if not better than the 13 until i traded that in for my 19 Ranger. 78,275 miles and zero issues. Change the oil between 5k-7k. I suppose people can do what they want...I'm just not a believer that it does much or is needed.

Joejk3d

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
JK3D.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 Saber
Occupation
Maker/Geek
The golden thing about cars... you can maintain them how you want. You can run oil until the oil life reminder goes off, and probably have the car run fine for the timeline you'll own it.... you can run a catch can or not.... you can change trans fluid way ahead of the schedule or not... Its all up to you.

The basic concept of a catch can wont damage anything, and could prevent early needs of cleaning the valves. Run a tune? expect more blow by and more heavy oil vapor in the crank case venting... if a catch can catches it, then bonus. But don't fall into the survivors paradox when it comes to car maintenance.

I get it, its a car forum, so we have to lash out and debate everything to death... so party on.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Or... don't use one... no one cares. Everyone can maintain their ride how they want, and walnut blasting when you start experiencing CELs or just bad idle, and performance for no real reason... is definitely an option.
Well like whenever anything new comes along - like DI engines it prompts a degree of uncertainty,concern, with early DI engines, to mention Audi and BMW the concern was warranted. There have been improvements with DI such as the injector location and higher fuel pressures that appear to have lessened the issue. I have a catch can and this is a case that I feel it may be effective in limiting valve deposits, more recent articles on the subject I've seen indicate that it's difficult to predict whether an engine develops it and to what degree of severity. So perhaps a form of insurance, albeit not the "cheap" insurance term often used for some other maintenance .

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
The DI engine design isn't necessarily flawed per se, it's the EGR system that is routing crankcase vapors back into the intake to be burned that is the issue. I see a ton of crud in my 4.0l OHC V6 in my 2005 Ranger. Valves stay clean but intake track is carboned up even back to the throttle body.

If those vapors were somehow entered directly into the combustion chamber or were captured/eliminated differently the issue would not exist.

But I have a feeling what is coming out the the crankcase is not conducive to be injected into a cylinder directly... too much sludge.

Low tension piston rings don't help either (blow by).

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
I installed the Ford unit since it connects directly and was much easier than the aftermarket units. My opinion is that the kind of sludge that it removes is not good for the valves, and dual injection systems would not have been created if there were no problems. Time will tell but I would rather prevent problems that I can than deal with messes later. As someone else said, there is no negative impact of the catch cans so no real risk.

Joejk3d

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
JK3D.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 Saber
Occupation
Maker/Geek
I installed the Ford unit since it connects directly and was much easier than the aftermarket units. My opinion is that the kind of sludge that it removes is not good for the valves, and dual injection systems would not have been created if there were no problems. Time will tell but I would rather prevent problems that I can than deal with messes later. As someone else said, there is no negative impact of the catch cans so no real risk.
100%. Only negative would be is if someone neglects checking the status of that catch can for an extended period and it fills up. In winter it seems they fill up much faster so it's good to keep an eye on it.

DROZ23

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Beening Badass
Disagree with the snake oil aspect of Catch cans on Turbo DI engines. My 60K mile Edge Sport (2.7LTT) had one since 800 miles, tuned with a strong LMS 93 Octane tune dropping some big power from about 8000mi. Every Oil change I would dump about 3+ oz of fuel diluted oil out of the can. When scoped at 50K to check out the intakes for carbon build up, they looked really damn good for the mileage and for the amount of boost the engine has been running.

So... yeah I took the J&L catch can off when I traded the sport in, and just sent it back to J&L to get converted into the right setup for the ranger.

DI engines, especially tuned ones, will mess up intake valves in a hurry.
I ran the Ford Performance version but it is not the side everyone is concerned with. Also, the late 21's and after, reposition the return line above the Manifold for what I assume is better performance of the baffling system. IDK yet if i makes it better. Truth is even catches are not 100%. By time you price 1 or 2 more catch cans, the price of a walnut blast is within reach. I think a bigger reason is to prevent to much vapor and water getting back in to the cylinder diluting the AFR.

Ford Rangers already has 2 Separator systems built in but 2 is one and 4 is two I guess.
Sponsored