Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
I love Border Collies. I had one for 14 years. :sunglasses:
I had a Collie and Border Collie mix prior, but my Border Collie Sisters are something else. So physically gifted and they do everything on a knifes edge. A very focused breed.
I see why they make such good farm dogs. I do miss my other dogs. Collie was 12 years old and I had Jack my mix for 16 years and we think he might have been two when he came to us with a dislocated rear leg.

FCD54AFA-0B9C-4EBE-94BB-B72398794473.jpeg

3861FA7A-98CD-49D8-A374-FEC8EED61BCA.jpeg

18846370-84B2-4422-8970-BAF278C5F4F9.jpeg

C113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
My brother Subvet lost his Boston a few days ago. I've been through it too many times and it's tough but my wife and I just can't live without a dog or two and even 3 not long ago.
We had a Great Dane. Wonderful dog but 7-8 years is too soon or we would have stayed with that great breed. Bostons are our choice now.
Agree, the first Great Dane was about 7.5 years when she left me and the kids. Got us a mini schnauzer and 5 years later, a GI got transferred from his home station and asked me if I wanted the Great dane I have now. Couldn't say no lol. She was 3 months old

20200122_080751.jpg

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Agree, the first Great Dane was about 7.5 years when she left me and the kids. Got us a mini schnauzer and 5 years later, a GI got transferred from his home station and asked me if I wanted the Great dane I have now. Couldn't say no lol. She was 3 months old

20200122_080751.jpg
They are such wonderful dogs. Truly gentle giants. I'll have to post a pic of Cal which is on my other computer.

Cal playing with my brother Subvet around 15 years ago. :LOL:

BCJ0ier.jpg

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, that is the price we pay for allowing these marvelous creatures into our lives. Had to go thru it 3 times now - it never gets any easier, but I hope I never have a house without a dog for too long.
Hi Rob,

I understand where you are with dogs. There comes a time when you might change your mind similar to what Margie and I had to do. We discussed getting another dog, but at our age and family history, it is likely a young pup would out live us and the trauma on the dog that their masters are gone is in our opinion not fair to the dog. We have an animal shelter here in Green Valley, filled with dogs that have lost their master(s)...It is heart breaking to visit this shelter for us...so we have decided not to get another dog. Our tortoise is a different as they are vary adaptable to new custodians and we have arrangements in our Living Trust to place Tito in the Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson..they have wonderful display of tortoise and Tito will be placed into this arena and eventually adopted by another custodian

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co.

RangerCoby

First Name
Coby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat FX4
I had a Collie and Border Collie mix prior, but my Border Collie Sisters are something else. So physically gifted and they do everything on a knifes edge. A very focused breed.
I see why they make such good farm dogs. I do miss my other dogs. Collie was 12 years old and I had Jack my mix for 16 years and we think he might have been two when he came to us with a dislocated rear leg.

FCD54AFA-0B9C-4EBE-94BB-B72398794473.jpeg

3861FA7A-98CD-49D8-A374-FEC8EED61BCA.jpeg

18846370-84B2-4422-8970-BAF278C5F4F9.jpeg
That's awesome! They truly are a gifted breed in many ways! Are your's littermates?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

I understand where you are with dogs. There comes a time when you might change your mind similar to what Margie and I had to do. We discussed getting another dog, but at our age and family history, it is likely a young pup would out live us and the trauma on the dog that their masters are gone is in our opinion not fair to the dog. We have an animal shelter here in Green Valley, filled with dogs that have lost their master(s)...It is heart breaking to visit this shelter for us...so we have decided not to get another dog. Our tortoise is a different as they are vary adaptable to new custodians and we have arrangements in our Living Trust to place Tito in the Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson..they have wonderful display of tortoise and Tito will be placed into this arena and eventually adopted by another custodian

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co.
Yeah, that time may come, but I'm hoping we could give the dog to one of our kids in that case. Hopefully I won't have to worry about any of that for quite a few years yet....:LOL::please:

Reactions: Doc

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
That's awesome! They truly are a gifted breed in many ways! Are your's littermates?
Yes Sisters.
Not sure if good or bad.
Took a long time before they much noticed me when on walks. But now listen better and they get along well.
Not much interest in other dogs, just each other.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am so sorry to hear of Tom's loss..it is so hard. I feel the same way about my Tortoise, Tito, now...different animal but the sense of loss...We become so attached to these wonderful creatures, be the dogs, cats or others.

Having a animal in your life is very rewarding....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for the sentiment Phil.. Losing a long term companion was and is tough. We still have a puggle and my cat Kracker. I am a cat person as well. It will be a while until we get another Boston Terrier.

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
No dogs here! 5 Maine Coons. Just a dog in cat's clothing! ;)

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
We have two labradors, 55# and 75#, and they are accustomed to our dog-hammock slung between the headrests. I leave this hammock in place at all times, it protects the leather seats when I shove boxes and other cargo back there and keeps everything where I can find it.

If shopping for such a hammock, beware of the flimsy ones where the straps easily rip off the fabric. Get a sturdy one if you will be handling heavier dogs/loads

TonyO

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4
Anyone got a dog? Do you let it in your truck yet? With leather seats I’m worried they’ll get trashed.

E31B1799-6BA2-4965-A7E3-D0F7F0335459.jpeg
I have a 90 pound Golden retriever (number 6). I have always had leather in all of my trucks and my dogs have always been allowed in the truck with no damage, keep their nails trimmed. I always let my dogs in, friends sometimes are another question. If you are worried use one of the dog hammocks they sell
Sponsored