John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Omg! bet the tortoise became sick...they cannot handle protein this way. Amazing to see this. Tito does not know how to bite to attack or protect himself unlike...say...a snapping turtle for example...purely a defensive animal...Do not know the aggressive behavior of a huge tortoise, but, Holy Shit... Thanks for sharing....I am blown away...

Tito just ate a huge plate of Kale, had seconds and gobbled down one cut up strawberry. He missed a couple bites of strawberry and I hand fed them to him...then wiped his lower mouth area and he ambled off to the corner of the dining area of our great room....Tomorrow, he will wake up about 9am and watch us for a while then head to the sliding glass door and we will let him out into the backyard for the day....at 3pm I search for him and bring him into the house for a plate of kale and the process repeats.... Not sure how long this will continue, but he is bulking up for the upcoming brumination where he sleeps for about 6 months... His diet is kale, grass from a patch of bemuda grass we have and flower pedals from a Texas Ranger shrub. No birds, thank you!

Best,
Phil
I saw an interview regarding this behavior in tortoises and the speculation is that is might be more of a protective act that a nutritional one. Birds eat tortoise eggs and baby tortoises. Eating a baby bird means one less threat.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I saw an interview regarding this behavior in tortoises and the speculation is that is might be more of a protective act that a nutritional one. Birds eat tortoise eggs and baby tortoises. Eating a baby bird means one less threat.
Hi John,

Yes...some Sonoran Tortoise moms will hang around for a day or two after egg laying, but then they amble off as their job as Mom is over. A hatchling is on its own from the get go. It is estimated that only one in 15 Sonoran Desert tortoise make it to maturity...Road Runners, Pack Rats and Ravens are the primary predators. If the tortoise makes it three months until its shell starts to harden...from that point the Sonoran Desert Tortoise has no natural predators. Here is a pix of my gardener finding out his tortoise was not male...all five can fit in your hand...they are so cute!

Hatchlings.jpg
Three males and two females

Best.
Phil

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
No one has any dog pics?? Taken today while out on the trails. Colors are at there max here, or close to it.
P1010989.jpg

P1020012.jpg
P1020028.jpg

Friendly mutts and owners seen out there today.
P1010984.jpg

Neighbor kids and our old girl. Clothing is optional.:crackup:
P1010968.jpg
P1010969.jpg

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
she is 13 or 14 now. trouble getting in so I pick her up. Got a
iBuddy Dog Car Seat Cover
I just use it on weekends when we go to the parks for slow walks

The ford explorer I had was much better for her rides but she isn't going to be around for much longer and she wasn't fond of rides anyway so just short trips now.

37569_452460239413_994455_n_452460239413.jpg

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Buddy Cooper is 5 months and finished with all his shots. He still trying to find his full Beagle voice, thankfully he is not a very vocal Beagle. He rarely barks so far. We started taking him on short trips in the Everest to get him excited about traveling. Slow process, but he had a great time in the little park we went to.

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

Attachments

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Omg! bet the tortoise became sick...they cannot handle protein this way. Amazing to see this. Tito does not know how to bite to attack or protect himself unlike...say...a snapping turtle for example...purely a defensive animal...Do not know the aggressive behavior of a huge tortoise, but, Holy Shit... Thanks for sharing....I am blown away...

Tito just ate a huge plate of Kale, had seconds and gobbled down one cut up strawberry. He missed a couple bites of strawberry and I hand fed them to him...then wiped his lower mouth area and he ambled off to the corner of the dining area of our great room....Tomorrow, he will wake up about 9am and watch us for a while then head to the sliding glass door and we will let him out into the backyard for the day....at 3pm I search for him and bring him into the house for a plate of kale and the process repeats.... Not sure how long this will continue, but he is bulking up for the upcoming brumination where he sleeps for about 6 months... His diet is kale, grass from a patch of bemuda grass we have and flower pedals from a Texas Ranger shrub. No birds, thank you!

Best,
Phil
Ever try dandelion greens? We had a bearded dragon that consumed that with silk worms for protein. Seems those greens got a pile of vitamins. Kale was another green we fed him. He made it 20 years. They normally don’t last that long.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ever try dandelion greens? We had a bearded dragon that consumed that with silk worms for protein. Seems those greens got a pile of vitamins. Kale was another green we fed him. He made it 20 years. They normally don’t last that long.
Hi Rick,

No dandelions in our yard...strictly Rocks and some weeds which I burn with a weeding torch. Tito mostly feeds on Kale..... But not now as he is in brumation in the corner of our great room...Margie made him a little tent which he loves. Won't see him until next April or early May....

Best,
Phil

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Um dude, you er drinking way to much. :rolleyes: