Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
Tito enjoying a strawberry today...

My wife grew up with Southern California Desert tortoises & later she and I raised dwarf Russians. I love to watch tortoises eat, so thank you for this. Tito looks like he's really digging in!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Here is an article from our local newspaper's first magazine insert in the paper...Tito is highlighted.

GV News Article on Tito, Margie and Phil.jpg

Best,
Phil

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Hi Folks,

Here is an article from our local newspaper's first magazine insert in the paper...Tito is highlighted.

GV News Article on Tito, Margie and Phil.jpg

Best,
Phil
Now THAT is the way to enjoy retirement! Thank you, Phil!

Last edited:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
My wife grew up with Southern California Desert tortoises & later she and I raised dwarf Russians. I love to watch tortoises eat, so thank you for this. Tito looks like he's really digging in!
You raised these ???

51L7BefGWzL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_ML2_.jpg

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
You raised these ???

51L7BefGWzL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_ML2_.jpg
Ha! Out of all the animals we've had over the years, we've only had one of those. He was NOT friendly.

Russian tortoises back in the early 00's were caught in the ex-Soviet 'stans & imported - I assume still are, haven't kept up. As a practice it was not good for the wild populations. Anyway, people bought them at Pet Smart / Petco / reptile shows as "dwarf" tortoises because they were smaller and cute and then grew bored with them. We took in a few from someone in a jam & built a big enclosure in the backyard. And an indoor fall/winter enclosure. And then took in a few more. Eventually we found homes for all of them with experienced reptile people.

1629427251877.png

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Omg! bet the tortoise became sick...they cannot handle protein this way. Amazing to see this. Tito does not know how to bite to attack or protect himself unlike...say...a snapping turtle for example...purely a defensive animal...Do not know the aggressive behavior of a huge tortoise, but, Holy Shit... Thanks for sharing....I am blown away...

Tito just ate a huge plate of Kale, had seconds and gobbled down one cut up strawberry. He missed a couple bites of strawberry and I hand fed them to him...then wiped his lower mouth area and he ambled off to the corner of the dining area of our great room....Tomorrow, he will wake up about 9am and watch us for a while then head to the sliding glass door and we will let him out into the backyard for the day....at 3pm I search for him and bring him into the house for a plate of kale and the process repeats.... Not sure how long this will continue, but he is bulking up for the upcoming brumination where he sleeps for about 6 months... His diet is kale, grass from a patch of bemuda grass we have and flower pedals from a Texas Ranger shrub. No birds, thank you!

Best,
Phil

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
Omg! bet the tortoise became sick...they cannot handle protein this way. Amazing to see this. Tito does not know how to bite to attack or protect himself unlike...say...a snapping turtle for example...purely a defensive animal...Do not know the aggressive behavior of a huge tortoise, but, Holy Shit... Thanks for sharing....I am blown away...

Tito just ate a huge plate of Kale, had seconds and gobbled down one cut up strawberry. He missed a couple bites of strawberry and I hand fed them to him...then wiped his lower mouth area and he ambled off to the corner of the dining area of our great room....Tomorrow, he will wake up about 9am and watch us for a while then head to the sliding glass door and we will let him out into the backyard for the day....at 3pm I search for him and bring him into the house for a plate of kale and the process repeats.... Not sure how long this will continue, but he is bulking up for the upcoming brumination where he sleeps for about 6 months... His diet is kale, grass from a patch of bemuda grass we have and flower pedals from a Texas Ranger shrub. No birds, thank you!

Best,
Phil
Tito's lucky to have y'all as parents
Sponsored