Reaction score
Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
I skipped most of the replies in here after reading your post.

I am currently on my *THIRD* set of rear pads because each prior pair was squeaking under braking almost immediately. The first set happened in less than 500 miles after purchase, the second set were within 1000 miles, but this last set have been solid finally.

It took multiple dealer trips and they turned the rotors each time as well, but they finally took care of it. If you're seeing noise in your brakes already, make the dealer fix it, it's way too early for that to be happening. I would expect at least 60k miles out of these brakes assuming you aren't excessively rough with them or constantly towing.
WOW. I will surely have THEM check it out now, thanks for the information!
Sponsored

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
WOW. I will surely have THEM check it out now, thanks for the information!
You're welcome! I say it's under warranty, with this few miles let them eat the labor and parts.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
78,000+...still on track to make it past 100,000 miles on original rotor/pads...

Ranger Danger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger FX-4 Off-Road BLK PKG Cactus Gray
Occupation
Stay at home puppy daddy
I skipped most of the replies in here after reading your post.

I am currently on my *THIRD* set of rear pads because each prior pair was squeaking under braking almost immediately. The first set happened in less than 500 miles after purchase, the second set were within 1000 miles, but this last set have been solid finally.

It took multiple dealer trips and they turned the rotors each time as well, but they finally took care of it. If you're seeing noise in your brakes already, make the dealer fix it, it's way too early for that to be happening. I would expect at least 60k miles out of these brakes assuming you aren't excessively rough with them or constantly towing.
What was you FIX?

I'm at 30,900 with my 2019, went into the dealer for an oil change and they told me the rear brakes are down to 1MM on the inside pads... I can vouch my E-Brake was not on or at issue, though I did notice a drop in MPG after placing new tires on, they are Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP LT rated and the exact same size as OEM.. I would say about 2 weeks or a month later I went from 24MPG to 20MPG all the time, that has been the case since October 2022. Given the drop was not sudden it appears as though this was when my rear inner brake pads issue most likely began. Even with thinner pads used in the rear along with wear from traction & stability control I don’t think this accounts for what is happening to many Ford Ranger owners and seems more like an actual manufacture defect.

More threads on this...

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/rear-inner-brake-pads-smoked-at-28k.21847/page-2

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/inner-rear-brake-pads-burning-up.8162/

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/starting-to-nickel-and-dime-me-a-little.25039/#post-573100

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...need-new-pads-at-23k.23625/page-2#post-533751

Last edited:

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Despite Ford mentions online saying rear brakes wear out faster because they use thinner pads out back compared to front and how traction control and stability control play a part I feel there is a defect.

I'm at 30,900 and rear brakes are down to 1MM on the inside pads...I did notice a sudden drop in MPG after placing new tires on, they are Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP LT rated and the exact same size as OEM.. I would say about 2 weeks or a month later I went from 24MPG to 20MPG all the time, that has been the case since October 2022. Looking back I don't think it was the tires as it was 2 weeks or more after that the MPG dipped and think that is when the rear inner pad issue must have begun.

More threads on this...

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/rear-inner-brake-pads-smoked-at-28k.21847/page-2

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/inner-rear-brake-pads-burning-up.8162/

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/starting-to-nickel-and-dime-me-a-little.25039/#post-573100

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...need-new-pads-at-23k.23625/page-2#post-533751
Yeah, the LT rated tires are going to be a *massive* hit to your mileage. The stock tires on these Rangers are actually quite light for truck tires, anything that is LT rated is going to be *so* much heavier, and Mickeys are some of the heaviest tires you can buy. That unsprung weight is super hard on mileage.

Ranger Danger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger FX-4 Off-Road BLK PKG Cactus Gray
Occupation
Stay at home puppy daddy
Yeah, the LT rated tires are going to be a *massive* hit to your mileage. The stock tires on these Rangers are actually quite light for truck tires, anything that is LT rated is going to be *so* much heavier, and Mickeys are some of the heaviest tires you can buy. That unsprung weight is super hard on mileage.
If we remove the hit on MPG we still have the inner brake pad issues, what was your "fix" they applied?

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
If we remove the hit on MPG we still have the inner brake pad issues, what was your "fix" they applied?
They didn't. I don't have rear brake issues since I put in my own hardware. They never actually fixed my rear squeak/squeal I had. They just kept padslapping and turning the rotors instead of replacing the defective rotors from the factory. I haven't looked at the thicknesses but my issues went away.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
78,000+...still on track to make it past 100,000 miles on original rotor/pads...
Update...108,000 miles, 8mm pads remaining all around...

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
50,000 kms on mine and, like Sid @Msfitoy , apparently, no end in sight - front and rear are both good - my kms are likely 60% highway and I don’t brake hard - acceleration is another story…

IMG_1021.jpeg

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
25k miles and pads are good. I normally get 100k out of almost everything I drive... but we will see with this one and it using the rear brakes alot for traction control. My last rwd would just cut power like crazy. I like this setup better. Even if it eats the pads a bit.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name